• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Minimum Barrel Contour

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Is there a minimum barrel contour required for direct thread suppressors, like a Thunderbeast 30P? How about for quick attach models like the Specwar762., I plan on using these on all my rifles, which have barrel contours ranging from #3 spotters to heavy varmints. How much barrel is needed for proper threading of direct thread cans and quick attach muzzle devices?

Wow I wasn't expecting that. A .75in minimum OD basically eliminates all sporter barrel contours. I was excited to use the 30P on a custom 270 I'm having built, but it only has a #4 sporter on it, with an OD of .67. Could I have my smith make be an adapter to make the 30P fit?

If you already have a 5/8 threaded suppressor and the muzzle has enough diameter for a proper shoulder for the 9/16 (or maybe 1/2) specs, you could get a thread adapter that shouldered properly on the 9/16ths threads and provided the shoulder required for the 5/8ths threads for the suppressor. The shoulder is what keeps everything straight and you need a certain amount of shoulder "above" the threads to give it that support.

My Krieger heavy varmint 300win barrel and my Brux light Palma 6.5x47 both have a .750 OD. So I think threading them for 5/8x24 and the 30P shouldn't be a problem. I'd also like to be able to throw the Silencerco Trifecta muzzle brake mounts on these rifles, so I can use my Specwar on them as well. I think those muzzle adapters take the same 5/8x24 pitch. The only problem I'm running into is with my lightweight 270 and that thin barrel. I talked to my buddy, who is also my gunsmith. He said he could make the adapter for the #4 barrel no problem. He said he'd use a cut off from a blank, machine it, thread it, and tap it. Are there any specific tricks to it though?