• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Minimum barrel lenght to stabilize 243

iceshooter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2011
Hello guys....

Whats the minimum lenght a barrel has to be to stabilize a 243 bullet, say 80 grain?

Here´s the skinny. Ive never done this before and Id like to build my first rifle (with the help of a gunsmith), something to take on days camping trips. So light/compact is the key. Im thinking about a build of a Remington 700 action maybe, even a folding stock. I like the 243, Ive reloaded it for years and am amazed what it does. Id like my new toy to be accurate out to at least 300 yds.

Love to get your comments here...

Re: Minimum barrel lenght to stabilize 243

I would say 16" unless you want to go the sbr route since you are building a rifle. Get the twist right for the speed you will be shooting along with bullet weight and that 300 yards will be a walk in the park.

For an 80-85 grain bullet, in a 243, at reasonable speeds, a 1 in 10 will be fine. Don't expect to shoot 115's out of it, 105's will be marginal.

they chamber .243 Win in the xp-100's, which can be anywhere 14-15-16" barrel length. Plenty accurate at 300yds. just loud as hell.