• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Minimum range without damage

kentactic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
Southern, CA
whats the approximate minimum range i can shoot 1/4 in steel plate with a 168gr SMK .308 bullet with 2550 muzzle velocity if thats of any help... without making fat dings in the steel?

im guessing 500 yards?

Re: Minimum range without damage

Depends on the type of steel and how it's mounted. I can't give any more specifics than that but if you give target and steel type I'm sure someone will be along to help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats the approximate minimum range i can shoot 1/4 in steel plate with a 168gr SMK .308 bullet with 2550 muzzle velocity if thats of any help... without making fat dings in the steel?

im guessing 500 yards? </div></div>

If it's good steel (e.g. AR500), you can shoot it much closer than that. I shoot 3/8" AR500 at 200+ yards with my 30-06, .308 and .338 with no problems.

Brad

hmm.. im not sure on specific steel type. its just standard plate steel used in general fabrication etc.. i beleive 10 gauge... probably on the softer end of the steel spectrum. mounting will be more then likely leaning against a rock or i might weld legs on it to stick in the dirt.

ive shot this same steel type (i think) that was 1/8in thick at 100 yards with a 7.62x39 and it went through like butter.

I am betting it still leaves a big crater at 500yds IF it doesnt pass thru, even 1/2 regular plate steel and 3/8 AR500 is a huge difference.

Of course there is only one way to find out.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am betting it still leaves a big crater at 500yds IF it doesnt pass thru, even 1/2 regular plate steel and 3/8 AR500 is a huge difference.

Of course there is only one way to find out....... </div></div>

yeah only one way to find out is right...

also i might add that, that same 1/8in steel hit by a 9mm at 10 yards left very little damage at all

It is mild steel and will pass through at 300 yards if rigidly mounted at 90 degrees. Big pockmarks at 500. Get some AR500, or some THICK mild steel, like over 1".

this is know a lot about, cause i like to shoot cheap steel :}

if it is rigid you will pass thru out to around 700 yards. swinging about 600 hundred, but it is gonna damage it.

for 1/4 steel i hang it to swing and shoot at 1000, it gives a really nice ring when it is that thin and does not get damaged that far.

If you shoot 1/2 steel at 400 you will still pass thru if it is not hanging.

so you have choices, hange em and shoot em far (which is what you want to do anyway, hitting a 10 inch piece of steel at 300 gets old real quick)

or

buy ar 500.

my suggestion is do both. get some ar for a close target, and save money on your distant shots, cause you really just don't need it to be that strong at 800 or a grand

Ditto on what mnshortdraw just said!

And please remember that shooting steel with large cratering (any thickness) is VERY dangerous, the bullets can bounce back with a lot of energy, 200 yds or more. That's the main reason to use a hard steel like AR500.

Im guessing they would do some damage.

My Scenars penetrate steel sign posts at 600 yards with about 2900FPS, so i would assume an SMK would at least cause significant damage

Not an exact comparo here but it's informative none the less.
My current long range target is set up at 573 yards (odd distance huh!). At that distance my .243 win shooting 90 gr Scenars at 3000 fps will pass through 1/4" steel (metal guards off of heavy equipment, pretty mild stuff compared to AR types). The hole is about .33" in diameter so the bullet is beginning to deform though. FWIW 1/4" aluminum plate will have .243" diameter holes in it at that distance!

My next trip home I am getting some AR400 targets cut and will mount that at the 573 yard range and see what happens with the 308, 300 RUM and 300 SAUM. My local steel yard keeps AR400 in stock and will cut it to my desired shape for $1.05 per pound. 12"x12"x1/2" AR400 weighs 20.4 lbs so its pretty cheap if it holds up at that range and beyond.

tater

ok great info guys. my target is in the shape of a man from the waist up with no arms. exactly 3 ft/1 yard tall for ranging purposes. so really anything 500 yards and in wont be much of a challenge anyways.

now since were on the subject of penetration... i have a friend who swears up and down that a bullet designed for hunting will penetrate any given material better then a target bullet in the same grain.

i just dont see that being the case at all but i havent confirmed this.

Well that's a pretty broad statement...
I guess that could be the case in some instances like bonded bullets, solids, and heavy jacket designs. but in other cases like ballistic tips and Sierra Game Kings, I dont see where there would be a difference.

And of course the material you are shooting makes a substantial difference in how the projectile penetrates.

I personally have shot through a whitetail buck this year with those 90 grain Scenars I referenced above. Shot was taken at 144 yards with the deer quartering to me. Total penetration was about 24" and the exit wound was about 1.5" in diameter. Now I have never had that much penetration from a .243 before with SGK, Rem corelokt or Win spire points (all in 100 gr).

tater

kentactic, in my experience, all "normal" jacketed bullets with a lead core perform about the same, and velocity is KING for steel penetration. Basically any bullet that has the same energy/front area penetrates about the same.

Even rifle lead bullets (and not a very hard alloy) at relatively high velocities (>2200 fps) penetrate/dimple mild steel very well.

Not trying to steal this thread but how thick of AR500 is necessary for 500+ with a .300 RUM? A guy at work has some 3/4" thick stuff he said he would give me.

Agreed that velocity is an important factor...I see some damage to my AR500 from 3,200 FPS .223 at 200 yards, while .308 at 2,600 FPS just knocks some paint off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: countryboy300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to steal this thread but how thick of AR500 is necessary for 500+ with a .300 RUM? A guy at work has some <span style="font-weight: bold">3/4" thick stuff </span>he said he would give me. </div></div>

that will work just fine assuming it is ar. if it is mild it will be fun for awhile

I shoot 1/2" mild steel with 155's, 168's, 175's, and 208 Amax's. I don't shoot it inside of 400, and 400 usually ding's it a bit, but 500 on out doesn't really do much of anything.

I haven't tried myself, but i'm betting 1/4" would work fine at 500 with 168's moving that slow. Might dent a bit, but I doubt that it'll crater severely. Inside 300 i'm thinking that it'll punch through or severely crater.

The comment about mild steel having to be 1" is severe overkill. A buddy I shoot with makes disposable steel targets with 3/4" mild steel, we've shot 'em at 100 and they crater really bad, but no penetration, not even with a .338LM with 300gr Sierras, it knocked the target and stand clean over, but didn't fully penetrate the target.

I myself have been thinking about having a large piece of 1/4" mild steel made up for the really long stuff. 4'x4' for the 1,000 yard line and beyond is what i'm wanting, it'll still be heavy, but at 1/4" thick, it'll be a lot lighter than 1/2" would be, and at that distance it doesn't need to be that thick. The one really nice thing about AR500.....it rings like a bell really well where mild steel..not so much.

Branden