• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Mirage Cover for 308 precision rifle suppressor

nmmi9100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
New Mexico
I just got my 308 Liberty Freedom can in last week and shot it this past weekend at the NRAWC Sporting Rifle Match. I didn't think to ask folks what kinda mirage cover they prefer other than the one other fellow on our squad running a suppressed rifle. He likes the TAB SAS1 covers with the full length velcro so you can get it on nice and tight. Any other opinions on these? Primary use will be for matches...secondary for hunting feral hogs in Texas.

I'm guessing a can won't cool much with one of these on. So is it an advantage to have the non-velcro kind that just slips down the barrel when you aren't shooting? Or does it even matter if the can cools off between 6-shot strings with a bolt gun?

https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/tactical-gear/tab-sas-suppressor-anti-mirage-shield.html

-David
Edgewood, NM

Re: Mirage Cover for 308 precision rifle suppressor

If I was to do it all over again, I would probably go with a SAS 3. It wasn't available at the time I ordered my SAS 2 back 3 years ago. I just melted part the suppressor cover to my suppressor last week during a 40 shot string through my TBAC.

It's good to melt shit. It means you are shooting

I have the the SAS2 and love it, ordered a 2nd last week, run it on a TBAC 30P-1 works great. Just did a shoot a month ago and shoot 200 rounds in the course of 8-10 hours. Not a problem one. other then I'm Jonesin to get back out and shoot LR again. 600-1000 yard ranges are hard to find around here.

I sew mine out of Velvet Shield with nomex thread, with a heavy seam at the rear to keep the cover on the can. A simple tube will get vacuumed off the end (unless, perhaps, it is very tight). From what I hear the TAB covers are very good, but mine work well and cost a lot less.

I slide mine to the rear when not shooting to allow the can to cool.

I have a couple of SAS1's and I like them more than the 3's due to the velcro and rear band. I haven't owned a 2 so I can't give any kind of feedback on that one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">David...how do you like the Freedom? </div></div>

Like it alot. Been meaning to email you. Only picked it up this past Friday. Shot it in a match on Sunday. Man, did that take a long time...6 months start to finish. Had all sorts of minor hangups that slowed down the transfer process. Your dealer put the wrong license number for my dealer on the form 3. My dealer was out of town when the can came in. New State Police chief only signed one of my Form 4s. Had to mail back for second signature. My dealer out of town when he rec'd my Form 4 from me.

Oh well, I got it now. Like it alot. Sounds the same as a TBAC 30P-1. Shot side by side with a guy this weekend and couldn't tell a nickel's worth of difference.

Thanks for the great can, Malaga.

-David
Edgewood, NM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's good to melt shit. It means you are shooting </div></div>

Ray, you shoot a lot of matches. What cover do you use and why?

-David

Zak and I had Tony at TAB make us some custom covers a while back. We wanted to be able to pull the cover off the can back over the barrel cause we are known to engage in some longer shot strings than most. I think they are now called the SAS3. While using it at the Steel Safari this year I just left the cover over the can the whole time since you never take more than 6 shots at a stage

Correct Ray the SAS3 is the cover we designed for you guys.

Nmmi9100 it's personal preference but I'd suggest the SAS3 would be perfect for what you're wanting. it's easy to install, easy to slide back on the barrel to cool, and easy to slide back on the can to resume firing.

All of our covers have a built in ridge at the rear of the cover to prevent the cover from sliding forward during recoil.

I'm going to order one of the SAS3s. Stu at Liberty suggested that is the one to get as well.

Thanks for the help, ya'll.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Buy a T.A.B. with confidence, I have shot a few hundred rounds at a time through my SAS2 cover at a time, to the point where my quick detach suppressor wouldn't come off. It has melted in a couple of spots, but the only way I can tell is because there is just a little bit of black residue on my suppressor.

The shock cord is still very much intact. The cover really looks as good as the day I first got it.

Thanks Tburkes and I will be buying two more covers in about five months.

+1 for SAS3, I have a SAS1 also and prefer the 3 just due to its sleeker look. Ive owned the SAS1 for almost 2 years now and dont think Ive ever opened it up anyway.

Thank you for your business David, and for your continued business jakhamr81.
smile.gif

That's pretty much why the SAS3 came about. After you wrap the SAS1 cover around your can and get it sized there's not much need to unvelcro it any more.

There a few instances where the SAS1 would be recommended, one being if you've got a can that has a ratchet tab sticking out from the side of the can similar to a surefire FA762SS can.

I think I may go with the SAS3 for my next two suppressors. I went with the 2 because I do a lot of moving, and I had a long barrel behind my suppressor before the cover would be stopped by the stock. For the two guns I am getting ready to outfit their shouldn't be more than an inch or two before the cover would be stopped by the rail.

I think you will be good with the 3 as long as you are not worried about the cover sliding back to far. Also, if you give them good dimensions, it should be a nice tight fit anyways.

The 2 is made specifically for leo, military, hunters who may be moving through cover and have a concern with the cover easily sliding rearward and exposing the metal can to banging on hard objects.

However you can NOT slide the can back onto the barrel right after a string of fire to let the can cool because you'll melt the Cordura and shock cord that is at the front of the can when it gets to the much hotter middle section.

Below is our facebook page that show our TAB GEAR Quick Clips short video presentations of our gear. If you'll look at the Suppressor clip we try to answer several common questions that we are asked. These videos will be up on the RO website shortly.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000690643813

Thanks! Video helps a lot. Clearly need the SAS3 for my application.

-David
Edgewood, NM