• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Mirage Reduction

mountainman308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
WV, USA
I just pulled the trigger on a YHM Phantom. While I wait the year or so for it to clear, I was turning over in my head some ways to reduce mirage in my scope coming off of the can after firing. I have seen the jackets for suppressors, but why not wrap it in $12 exhaust pipe wrapping from autozone? Has anyone tried this, is there any glairing reason why I shouldn't do it? Please forgive my ignorance, I am new to the suppressor game.

You want to be able to take the can cover on and off. The cover wont last very long unless you take it off after your done shooting.

You want to be able to take the can cover on and off. The cover wont last very long unless you take it off after your done shooting.

Plus any kind of insulating wrap will hold the heat in the can, causing it to take longer to cool down. Slide the cover on, shoot, and slide it back off when you're done firing. Pulling the cover back will let the can cool down more easily.

I have an Armageddon Gear cover that should be here tomorrow for my SDN-6. I just found out my can was approved on the 27th, so hopefully I can post a review of the cover soon.

Thanks for the advice y'all. That does make sense. I guess I will be going the cover route then.

Thanks for the advice y'all. That does make sense. I guess I will be going the cover route then.

Just make sure you buy a quality one, and pay attention to what it is rated for. The Armageddon Gear cover is designed mostly for semi-auto and bolt action precision rifles, but should be OK for a semi-auto carbine as long as you don't start doing mag dumps. They outright say it is not rated for full auto.

There are full auto rated covers, but they are significantly more expensive.

Either way, you don't want ot melt the cover onto your can and have to scrape it off.

I bought the YHM Phantom QD. It is full auto rated and good up to 300 RUM/WinMag. Seeing as I don't have any 30 cal machineguns, I imagine I won't need the full auto rating, but it should still be fine to put in on my ARs. I did not know the cover had to be full auto rated too.

I bought the YHM Phantom QD. It is full auto rated and good up to 300 RUM/WinMag. Seeing as I don't have any 30 cal machineguns, I imagine I won't need the full auto rating, but it should still be fine to put in on my ARs. I did not know the cover had to be full auto rated too.

It all depends on your use, same as your can. If you're just using your can on semis and bolt guns, then get a cover rated for that kind of use, or pull the cover off when you're using the can in a way the cover can't handle.