• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Mirage Shields

ballisticdaddy

Deplorable
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Colorado
I have a rifle being built and looking for a mirage shield but only able to find the Sinclair (Venetian blind looking) mirage shield. Finding it hard to mount that on my new rifle so looking for something a little cleaner looking? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My mirage shield rolls up and fits into a pill bottle. It's a wide strip of black sewing ribbon, with three Velcro dots peel-n-stick'd onto it. Works. I also kinda like the blue ribbon with the white stars...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I have a rifle being built and looking for a mirage shield but only able to find the Sinclair (Venetian blind looking) mirage shield. Finding it hard to mount that on my new rifle so looking for something a little cleaner looking? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Think about a blow tube on the left side mounted to/along the scope base or receiver. As you exhale to the bottom of the breath cycle thru the flex tubing it will blow the barrel mirage away, an give you 4-5 seconds to break the shot. Don't know how to post photos in a thread or I'd post one of mine. Have them on all lr sticks, and they cost almost nothing to make.

I just use the black elastic champions choice unit. You need a front sight tenon or block but they work excellent.

Do you have a link to the website? I'm not having any luck finding one.

He does not have a website but here is his contact info.... [email protected] or call (715)551-9735

Here is a photo one one that I just received

Attachments

• photo50605.jpg
    photo50605.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 293
I used a democratic candidates plastic corrugated road sign for my mirage shield :D

and they weigh a ton. I have one. Cant run it, puts almost all of my F-TR rigs over weight. They are not just carbon fiber, they are CF glued to a plastic backer.

Have you weighed it? Just curious.

74g
I peeled the backer off and the backer weighed 48g. The problem with that was that the glue between the backer and the CF is not affected by lacquer thinner, acetone, purple degreaser, or turpentine. I rattle can painted the glue and it makes it not sticky, but the sticky is still there just under the paint so if you scratch it it's there again.

I made a comment about this on Accurate Shooter and Mark said he can make them without the backer if you want. I My F-TR rifles run very close to he weight limits, (I run heavy barrels) so I can't spare the weight.

I was going to make one, I've got CF fabric and a 4 inch pvc tube to lay it up on for the curve. Couple velcro dots and I should be good.

So back in the day when I was shooting Highpower/Across-The-Course I refused to pay the $16 or whatever so I made my own. $4 invested for two of them from Wal-mart art department, they worked for many years. I'm about to do the same thing as I just picked up another match rifle. You will need a sewing machine and they WILL look better than store-bought items that are mass produced.

Order from overseas; europeans have a nice selection of options for certain things we do not have here, like mirage bands. Vertebrae has some nice stuff like this and sells them here and there on eBay. Got one, and finagled some connections by bending wire hooks to attach to the scope mount, etc. Weighs nothing, takes up no appreciable room when not on the gun, but nice to have when laying in the sun on a hot day.

Current eBay sale:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mirage-Ban...hash=item41cd7fc46e:m:mBFToEDUktlZWIIi_tnGaYw

Reactions: Vasily
After much researching...far too much for such an item....I happened across a site selling Venetian blind sections long enough for a 32" barrel. It was like $1.50 and $3.72 shipped or something ridiculous like that. I'll probably reinforce it a bit with something, but dang was that a cheap solution.

I just encountered this phenomenon last week shooting at 300 yards. I tend to run my scope at a high magnification - 24X. I shot very well at 100 yards and then 200 yards and then at the end of my session I simply could not get the scope to focus at 300 yards. The target was a wide blur and no matter what I did I could not get my eye to focus as I did ten minutes earlier.

Groups were 2X as big at the end - no doubt I simply could not see the target clearly. I thought it was eye fatigue.

Then when packing up I was shocked to realize I could not touch my barrel....I could endure a 5 second hold but clearly if I wrapped my hand around it longer than that I'd have been burned. I now believe I was experiencing hot barrel mirage for the first time. I didn't know such a thing existed. Next time out we start at 200 yards and monitor barrel temp and work up.

I'm looking for a way to cool my barrel between sets.

VooDoo

The 'original' still works well enough...

http://barrelcool.com/product-category/barrelcool/

...and also has the benefit (for F-class) of doubling as a chamber flag as far as color, shape, etc. Pretty common for people to finish a string, set their gun behind the line with the Barrel Cool running, and set up to score the next relay. By the time that relay finishes and it's time for the first one to shoot, it's definitely down to ambient temp.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci