• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Missed opportunity on a custom build?

drivingavbied

I like turtles.
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2021
Idaho
This past fall I finally accumulated all the parts for my first bolt gun build. Sent my R700 and parts out to GAP, get it back and everything looks phenomenal. I go to mount up my scope base and realize I didn't have them open my base holes to 8-40 and true them up.

I had a pretty intense wrist surgery about the same time I got my rifle back so it hasn’t been shot, and won’t be able to shoot for probably a month and a half once I am out of this damn cast to see if it’s really of any concern.

In anyones experience with newer a production R700, has factory scope base holes been an issue and I get to send my rig back to have it done or?

Just run it as it is unless it bothers you that much.
If I shoot it and I can’t tell a lick of difference, I wont care. But how does any degree of skewed scope translate at distance.

I’ve read that Remington holes are notoriously out of spec. I don’t have the tools to check. If anyone has used Remington factory scope holes with any noticeable failure please chime in.

Last edited:
If your scope zeros wonky and way off center of travel maybe you have an issue
If it seems to be fairly centered at zero then run it.
That makes sense, as long as I am not way right or left in windage adjustment I should be gtg. Thanks.

That makes sense, as long as I am not way right or left in windage adjustment I should be gtg. Thanks.

For what it's worth recent RR receivers I've done have been better than most in the past. Only thing it should effect if any is another click or 2 for your zero.

Sometimes the holes are straight and sometimes not so much. I have never had them opened up when getting action work done.