• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mixed powders, what should I do??

flopduster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2008
South Carolina
I know is is all my fault, I should never have two powders out at the same time.

What I did,

I poured approximately 100 grains of IMR 4350 into a jug with @1/2 pound of re-15 in it. Realizing what I did as soon as I did it, I then took my knife and cut the top of the jug right above the powder level, took a spoon and skimmed about 1/2 inch of powder off the top.

Did I do enough?? Should I use it or dispose of it??

I feel like an idiot..
last week I stuck an ejector because of reading the wrong line in the manual and was 3 grains over max.
eek.gif
sick.gif

Re: Mixed powders, what should I do??

it's only about $10 worth of power... why risk it?

that said, i'd probably shoot it.

Man, You're going to get hurt. Open your eyes and please keep track of what is going on at your reloading station. I would just put it into a mason jar and mark it NOT TO USE FOR RELOADING. You may find a use for it down the road IE. stump removal or a fun target to take out. I keep the powder I drop on the bench at my powder dropper. I swep it up and into a old bullet storage bin.

We all make mistakes, but are you willing to gamble your rifle and your personal safety to the question, did I get all of the other powder out of the jug?

I say properly dispose of the powder and chalk it up to and unfortunate mistake, that didn't cost you anymore than the powder.

Good luck.

Sounds like your havin' fun.

Shake it, shake it good ;)4350 and RE15 are close to the same burning rate so you shouldn't be in any danger. Just save the rest of that powder for plinking.

1st- keep only 1 jug of powder on the bench at a time. I keep the jug I am using next to my charge master, or jug next to my Dillon. The rest is not near the presses.
2nd- you could use the powder, but I would use the R15 data for loading mild plinking rounds. But, I would save it and wait until Spring time and use it as fertilizer. I donate all my pulled powder I can not reuse to the yard.

Dump the powder onto a big white plate and pick out the 4350. I once dumped 42 grains of TAC into a pound of Varget. It took me four hours to get it all out.

You dumped 100 grains into 3500 grains...and they are both similar burn rates, it's not like it's Red Dot or Bullseye.

If it we me, I'd shake the can a few times and move one. Probably not going to be your most accurate powder now, so maybe save it for foulers and/or a rainy day when you can't find R15.

However, let's talk about those reloading habits. You need to turn off the TV, put down the crack pipe, get off the phone and focus. Reloading is fun, but it's easy to get casual and do something that will hurt you, your weapon (as you know) or God forbid someone else. Try to come up with some techniques to help you keep track, like Chad said keep all the powder on a shelf except the one you're working with. I normally check loads in a couple of manuals and/or on the internet, so a 3gr over max would pop out at me.

One idea I do to keep everything separate and safe.

I buy a new Lee perfect powder measure for each caliber I load. Righ now I have two of them.

1 for .223
1 fore .308

I only use one powder at a time, and once I get a load that works I add a Sierra sticker to the hopper with the charge setting, powder type and caliber.

So when I reload for .223, I grab the hopper, read it, add the correct powder and when done I empty the hopper in the right container.

Just a idea.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flopduster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know is is all my fault, I should never have two powders out at the same time.

What I did,

I poured approximately 100 grains of IMR 4350 into a jug with @1/2 pound of re-15 in it. Realizing what I did as soon as I did it, I then took my knife and cut the top of the jug right above the powder level, took a spoon and skimmed about 1/2 inch of powder off the top.

Did I do enough?? Should I use it or dispose of it??

I feel like an idiot..
last week I stuck an ejector because of reading the wrong line in the manual and was 3 grains over max.
eek.gif
sick.gif
</div></div>

Smokeless powder is a great fertilizer. Sprinkle it on a worn piece of lawn, or drop it into your potted flowers and flower beds.

Chris

Sir,
I am sure the right thing to do is get rid of it. I would likely mix up well and shoot some offhand loads with it. I mixed some 4198 and 4227 once and came up with a GREAT SS load for a 308 win and lapua subsonic bullet that I am yet to duplicate with either powder alone. When burn rates are similar, just use conservitive data and burn it up.
RTH

Like I said, it was my fault. I actually got the re 15 can off the shelf and dumped the powder in it rather than putting it in the 4350 can on the bench. It had not even all ran through the funnell when I said "oh shit".

Now the stuck ejector thing,

I was working up a load for a 243 and had 2 dif bullets(85 tsx and 100 np)and four powders that would work. I consulted two manuals and wrote down all loads for each powder bullet combo. Then I studied them a while and selected the two powders I would try. Went to the bench to load and read the charge one line up when loading.

I will be more careful in the future, and maybe this will help someone else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">You dumped 100 grains into 3500 grains</span>...and they are both similar burn rates, it's not like it's Red Dot or Bullseye.

If it we me, I'd shake the can a few times and move one. Probably not going to be your most accurate powder now, so maybe save it for foulers and/or a rainy day when you can't find R15.

However, let's talk about those reloading habits. You need to turn off the TV, put down the crack pipe, get off the phone and focus. Reloading is fun, but it's easy to get casual and do something that will hurt you, your weapon (as you know) or God forbid someone else. Try to come up with some techniques to help you keep track, like Chad said keep all the powder on a shelf except the one you're working with. I normally check loads in a couple of manuals and/or on the internet, so a 3gr over max would pop out at me. </div></div>

Correct, and it did not get disturbed much as I realized what I did and tried not to upset it while I cut the top off and skimmed approx. 600 grains off the top. I would feel very sure I removed almost all of it, however I felt second opinions were warranted. I would think I removed at least 80% of it. Leaving about 20 grains in the 3000.

Have fun with it similar rates "shake and Bake"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flopduster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">You dumped 100 grains into 3500 grains</span>...and they are both similar burn rates, it's not like it's Red Dot or Bullseye.

However, let's talk about those reloading habits. You need to turn off the TV, put down the crack pipe, get off the phone and focus. Reloading is fun, but it's easy to get casual and do something that will hurt you, your weapon (as you know) or God forbid someone else. Try to come up with some techniques to help you keep track, like Chad said keep all the powder on a shelf except the one you're working with. I normally check loads in a couple of manuals and/or on the internet, so a 3gr over max would pop out at me. </div></div>

Correct, and it did not get disturbed much as I realized what I did and tried not to upset it while I cut the top off and skimmed approx. 600 grains off the top. I would feel very sure I removed almost all of it, however I felt second opinions were warranted. I would think I removed at least 80% of it. Leaving about 20 grains in the 3000.

</div></div>

A purpose built 'duplex' load can be perfectly safe, I've done it and got good results, velocity and accuracy wise.

I did it by weighing each powder that was to go into the duplex, one round at a time. That way there was no chance involved like it would be if you decided to mix two different 1lb cans together.

The two powders I duplexed, had a much larger gap on the burn rate than the two you mixed.

Pour on your lawn while flogging yourself with a rifle sling and repeating, "Keep this up and one day your wife will be rich!"

Doesn't matter if it's usable or not as you deserve the punishment and public humiliation for the very dangerous habit!

BTW No one else has ever does this in the entire history of firearms, so at least you're unique!
wink.gif

I once poured a fair amount of H335 into my Power Pistol bottle. Since the rifle powder would slow down the pistol load, I shot it up in my 9mm, with no noticable accuracy loss, but I bet my chrono would have seen the difference! I now keep the lid off the powder I'm using, and don't load rifle loads in my turret any more, which was only used for handgun, before the brain fart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flopduster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Realizing what I did as soon as I did it, I then took my knife and cut the top of the jug right above the powder level, took a spoon and <span style="font-weight: bold">skimmed about 1/2 inch of powder off the top</span>.

Did I do enough?? Should I use it or dispose of it??</div></div>
You've alleviated any potential problem. That said, had you just blended it there would not have been a problem <span style="text-decoration: underline">this</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">time</span> because of the relative burn rates and the small amount of contamination, but you chose the prudent path.

We learn by making mistakes, but some can be disastrous. You were lucky this time. You need to slow down and double-check everything you do. We are creatures of habit, but we have to be careful when we are developing these habits as well as when we have them developed and are working on auto pilot. Our processes must have fail-safes built into them.

For safety sakes I have put powder in the yard before. (I thought it was going bad.) It's your powder and your equipment. But you REALLY need to pay attention when your loading. Half a pound of powder isn't worth it to me. I would mark it up to "Lessons Learned" and get rid of it.

Hand loading is a decent hobby. But when you are loading you need to have your wits about you. You need to pay attention to what you are doing. You can probably get away with using the remaining powder. But what if you don't?

Think about it long and hard.

Good luck with your choices.

Given the fact that the 2 powders mixed are relatively close in burn rates and the small amount involved(100grs into 3500grs), personally I would mix it up some a use it.

Take it as a lesson learned, I am not perfect as I have been there and done that.
sick.gif

I would bet my life you could not measure a problem from using as is, but if you suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder, and cannot stop worrying, then you should give it to me.

I had a similar issue with close burning powders IMR4350 & Varget, 42 gr into a 1 lb jug of Varget (my son was helping me and let me know he dumped it in by mistake - when I got back from a restroom break). I did a similar search for info and ended up shooting it out of my AR. Worked fine, accurate, no ill effects or signs of over pressure. Chalked it Just a One time oops!
Both bottles were capped he just opened the wrong one and stopped after theincident.