• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mixed powders

I have mixed same powder/ mixed lot#. I have a plastic barreled cement mixer that I only use for this. usually mix 24-32 # of powder.
have not had any problems with my loads. Glad I have down this in the past. with no powder available. I have plenty of H4350 and Varget for my dasher and 260 AI.

True consistency while blending/compounding is not that easy.

We spend a good amount of RandD money making sure the ingredients are mixed properly throughout the whole batch.

Take a 50/50 mix of black and white material with similar but not exact particle size (mesh size). Depending on the mixing time you can go from gray (proper mix) to black on top and white on the bottom with almost no gray in the middle.

Separate from possible adverse reactions which may occur because of different chemical composition between 2 or more powders, the main issue I would worry about is over mixing causing sheer to the granules.

we deal with this while mixing time release products. The little beads you see in a capsule have a coating that breaks down in a certain ph in you digestive tract.

if we poorly mix etc, the little beads get chewed up and fail the disintegration duration testing in the lab.

the burn rate is consistent and accurate with a particular ratio of surface area to mass and volume.

if you mix to long, or to “rough” you will begin to sheer granules causing inconsistencies good or bad.

Reactions: scott289
OP's coworker:

iu

Years ago I had some pulldown brass from Horn. that I missed clearing the case out on one where some of the old powder was clinging on the inside of the case. It was not very much powder.
It was 308 cases and a total fuck-up on my part.
I got in a hurry and didn't inspect the inside of every round, one slipped by with that little bit of powder clinging to the inside of the case.
"Hurriyng is the Daddy of all Fuckups."
That little bit of powder in that 1 case fucked up my M-1A like Hogons's Goat.

In short, Never mix powders, unless you want to fuck up your gun and get hurt or worse.

I would never advise this however, at the end of the day if it was some caliber there is a fairly good chance that the burn rates are somewhat close. its not as though he s dumping various calibers and pistol powders into a bucket and hoping for the best. Again dont take this as condoning this practice. Just don't see it being catastrophic as some made it out to be

243 varies in appropriate powders more than most cartridges. Powders around 4895 or faster for varmint loads and slow mag powders like H1000 for heavy hunting and LR loads.

243 varies in appropriate powders more than most cartridges. Powders around 4895 or faster for varmint loads and slow mag powders like H1000 for heavy hunting and LR loads.

Hopefully OP reports back so we can know of 4895 mixed with H1000 = H4350....

Holy cow. Definitely never take reloading advice from this person, or shoot any of his ammo. Ever....

If you do go shooting with him have safety glasses on, stand ten feet back, and video record the whole range session to post on this thread later....

Edit to add: if you do go to the range with him, bring a medkit.
Or stand next to him when he is shooting

Well, the gentleman decided not to use this blended concoction. Seems that there 3 different types of powder, his words.

Two stick types, different color and length, and a ball powder. He decided that the risk wasn’t worth it. Good choice on his behalf.

I have no idea what his reloading practices are, nor do I want to. He’s proven to me, that’s he’s an accident waiting to happen.

Thank y’all for the responses, both sound in advice and those of humor. The sampler box .243 picture was classic!

• Haha
Reactions: Foul Mike
Two stick types, different color and length, and a ball powder.

☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️
This sounds like a great recipe for another kind of fun that could be had!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Chicken shit.
Well, the gentleman decided not to use this blended concoction. Seems that there 3 different types of powder, his words.

Two stick types, different color and length, and a ball powder. He decided that the risk wasn’t worth it. Good choice on his behalf.

I have no idea what his reloading practices are, nor do I want to. He’s proven to me, that’s he’s an accident waiting to happen.

Thank y’all for the responses, both sound in advice and those of humor. The sampler box .243 picture was classic!