• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mixing MRAD and MOA scopes in collection

j741

Hide Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 10, 2017
    Greater Seattle Area
    Initially I thought I wanted to go with an MRAD scope after reading about all the reticle options and popularity of them. I started out with a Sig Tango6 with MRAD reticle. But, I'm thinking I am just more comfortable with MOA unit 'thinking'. The Nightforce 7-35 I just ordered was in MOA. The NF is going on a 24" Tikka CTR 6.5 that I'm putting in a KRG X-Ray chassis. I have another Tikka 20" CTR in 6.5 that I'm thinking of moving the Sig scope on to, ordering the SBT specific to the load it likes most, and just save myself from having to sell the SIG & spend $3-400 more just to get a PST II 5-25 FFP. Am I nuts for mixing MRAD and MOA scopes? I am also looking to get a 6mm Ruger American to have some fun with and would likely be putting a MOA scope on it or moving Sig to it and putting MOA on the 20" CTR.

I don't know if you're nuts for mixing milrad with moa, but you may find yourself doping one for another. I have nothing but mil/mil scopes and turrets; just keeps it simple for my simple mind. The other day I was spotting for a guy at the range; he was all moa, and I'm calling adjustments in mil. Good thing we are just amatures and not a sniper team. It was a good for a laugh though...

I'm about half and half. It's never been a problem for me.

If you read the reticle and make the appropriate adjustment on the turret I dot see how it could be an issue. If youre scared because youre still converting one to inches and then thinking youll have to go from inches into the other unit then you have a thought process issue, not an equipment issue.

I have pretty much all mil mil scopes except for a Nikon I have on my go to hunting bolt 30-06 and a new 1-8 Vortex Strike Eagle on one of my ARs it has a BDC reticle so no dialing any way. Obviously if it’s a zero and forget it type scope like most hunting scopes it really doesn’t matter, for LR and ELR I prefer to keep it simple as well I even sold my NF BEAST because it has the .20 mil adjustments and went with the NF ATACR to keep all my scopes .10 mil adjustments for me just less to think about.

Non issue. I'm half and half MOA/MIL and about half and half FFP/SFP. I'm more worried about the FFP/SFP issue when I swap between rifles while barrels cool. I've botched up a wind call or two swapping to a new rifle and engaging a rock realizing I'm on about 18x out of 25x for mirage, and just jacked up my shot by holding wind with the reticle at a more than full but unknown value.

Thanks all. With the Sig it'll likely be my 'hunting' scope and then I'll have a PST II and the NF ATACR both in MOA for longer distance shooting. I could basically swap the Sig for a PST II but I even thought it gives up some magnification being 3-18 vs 5-25, it does seem like a better scope & glass.

Not a problem 1/10 mil clicks, some 1/4 moa clicks and even a 1/8 mos clicks for a target rifle, sometimes you cant find the reticle you want with the type of adjustment your looking for and you have to make a choice. I do find that a mil dot reticle with moa clicks a little annoying IMO.

Last edited:
    Not a problem here. Just read your reticle and that's it.

As long as you understand both units of measurement I see no problem just make sure you remember which one your using.
    I standardized all my scopes to mil