• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mixing Once Fired Brass With X Amount Fired Brass

Mixing Once Fired Brass With X Amount Fired Brass

• Yes I Keep The Same Amount Fired Together

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • I Do Not Keep Track I Don't Think It Matters

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters

Precisions

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2012
Albany, NY
Just curious how many guys keep track of how many times they fire there brass and keep them together, and who keeps them separate if some have more firings than others.

I have a bunch of boxes with x1,x2,x3, etc. it's not that hard to do. They're stackable Tupperware type boxes helps keep order in all my chaos.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

I have multiple rifles for each case I reload, it sooner or later becomes a mess. Even with some planning, things go south. I have started limiting the amount of brass I break out for a gun, 250 compared to 500.

Pistol just goes in one pail.

I keep mine in batches and don't reload a fired case until all in that batch are fired, then start over.

This is what I do. I have a 50rd MTM right now that has 45 empty casings and 5 not-yet-shot rounds. Can't reload them until I shoot those 5....

This is also why I go ape shit crazy when people try to take my brass.

This is what I do. I have a 50rd MTM right now that has 45 empty casings and 5 not-yet-shot rounds. Can't reload them until I shoot those 5....

This is also why I go ape shit crazy when people try to take my brass.

That's extreme! I might try do this for an annealing session.

I don't use new brass as all my rifles have favored/prove accurate with 1X fired LC. I used to track each piece but found it unnecessary and for the past few years I just load and shoot...have become a lot better at inspection of fired cases too

Everything that goes through my rifles is done in batches. I load them and shoot them till the batch is gone. Then I clean them and prep them all then to the yet to be loaded box. I load out if that box till it's empty. Then start over. I have overlapped just to see if it made difference on paper, couldn't see any.

all my match rifle calibers are in 100 round boxes, once all 100 have been shot they get reloaded. Annealing removes the need to count how many times they have been fired. The plinking brass gets in 5 gallon buckets and i shoot them till they split or i loose them.

I don't care on blasting ammo(AR15 and pistol), with PR brass I anneal everytime so I don't care either, when the neck splits or the primer pocket lets go I trash it, YMMV.

Don't care too much about how many times fired my 45acp brass has been fired, but do separate by headstamp and by length within .002. Has eliminated occasional match misfeeds and remain accurate and consistent. Rifle brass by lots, trimmed every time, annealed when necessary, always prepped for absolute consistency. Trying to take ammo off the variables list.

To those of you who won't reload a batch until all are fired:

What if you've got, say, 250 empties and 50 live cartridges... but have a match coming up next week requiring 200 rounds?

Do you take a range trip to blast 50 down the pipe so you can reload all 300?

This same situation is why I make a decent effort to keep them together, but find it impossible to keep strict track.

I fire my bolt action rounds (284 win) 100 at a time, and keep them separated in sub lots within a
X fired lots. I just try to fire 100 at a time when I can. I keep 30 aside for load development.

I shoot and mix X fired for gas gun and pitch them after the primer pockets get too loose,
Which is usually 5-6 fires for my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Pistol brass I just shoot and mix until they start to show signs of splitting necks.

I do not shoot as much as most here so it is the only way I can keep track between reloading sessions.

I voted yes for the most part. Lately, i've been getting lazy and I'll just reload them when I can since my time is more limited as of late and I don't alwasys have the luxury to finish a whole batch of brass before reloading them all. I anneal my brass every 2-3 firings anyway so the only other variable for me in my tolerances is when the primer pockets get too loose.

AR15 brass, I don't care, and I mix brass firings and brands for blasting ammo. Accuracy is actually still very good.

Precision rigs I try to keep the same amount of firings together, but right now I'm in between loadings with two batches between 5 and 10 reloads. At some point I annealed both batches at the same time and all the primer pockets are still tight. When I see a neck split or a primer seats too easily I'll set that brass aside and move on.

I keep my match brass separate and track that closely. After 4 loads, it goes into my practice brass box which I only sort by head stamp. When primer pockets get loose, I toss them. I anneal regularly and have never had a split neck. Primer pockets always seem to go first.

I keep new brass separate but after that they get mixed. I anneal every firing so i don't worry about it. Of course i use only one head stamp. I tried it the X-fired batching way for awhile but due to reasons turbo mentioned, i gave up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Turbo said.

Close enough, it matters not, that some cases have been fired 4 times and some 6. But, I don't mess with gas guns, maybe there is some validity? BB

I don't care on blasting ammo(AR15 and pistol), with PR brass I anneal everytime so I don't care either, when the neck splits or the primer pocket lets go I trash it, YMMV.

This is the same for me.

I keep a couple different lots of brass for each caliber so as I'm firing through a couple hundred I'm loading the other lot of a couple hundred.