• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mixing powders ok?

Sigarmed 1

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2008
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I know not to ever mix powders of different types but what about the same type powder but from different lots? Back when the powder shortage was in full swing I was able to pick up several 1 lb. containers of Varget from different vendors as I came across them. Would it be ok to mix these together in hopes of minimizing the minor varibles that occur from lot to lot? Or, are the differences too minor to even worry about? Thanks!

Re: Mixing powders ok?

I mix my 1lb lots of RL-15 all the time never had a problem. Just make sure you are mixing the same powders together.

I mix different lots togerher all the time. But never different powders.

Diesel-You are indeed correct and I apologize. I truly must be losing my mind. I guess that is a sign that I have too many irons in the fire right now as I had absolutely no recollection of posting that earlier. I think I must have posted while on hold on the phone and then totally forgot about it. Thanks for everyone's reply and again, sorry about the repost!!!

If the lots are different and my loads arent considered hot loads, then I wouldn't stress too much over it...

BUT if i was running compressed hot loads I would stick on the side of caution and perhaps start with a fresh batch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sigarmed 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[snip]I think I must have posted while on hold on the phone and then totally forgot about it. Thanks for everyone's reply and again, sorry about the repost!!! </div></div>
Thus we have the utility of the "vanity search", looking for your OWN posts...

AMAZING what you can find. Don't ask me how I know.

What were we talking about???

What's wrong with mixing different powder types?

Treat it as any other part of reloading and it is fine.
You just need to put a bit more thought into what you are doing.
Add only a very small % of the second powder not 50/50.

Works well with very slow stick powders. Can achieve higher velocities at lower pressure and better ignition.

Hornady is doing it in some of their factory loads with good results.

I'd be wary of mixing different powders, unless you are really confident in your math and your mixing method. Trying to ensure homogeneity in the mix w/ different powders is a nightmare, especially if the powders in question have different density, shape, etc. If you are dumping a charge and then adding a small amount of different powder to each charge individually, fine (still not my cup of tea), but if you are bulk blending, I'd say don't...probability and segregation will eventually kick you in the teeth.

If it's all the same stuff, just different lots, blend away, the more the merrier. I'd have no problem dumping it all into a huge jar and just mix it thoroughly - key is homogenous mixture.