• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK 12 Mod 1 Build

mallen45

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2020
Well folks I’ve made the mistake of building two clone rifles at the same time with the MK13 Mod 5 and a MK12 Mod 1. I’ve acquired almost everything I need for the MK13 and am waiting on the can approval, however long that’ll be, so I figured I’d divert attention my MK12. I had Kevin over at High Caliber Sales build the upper and that was received about a month ago now I need the lower and the scope set up. Scope set up is self explanatory but the lower leaves some room for interpretation. I’ve done some light research and folks are suggesting NoDak Spud NDS-16A1 lowers with whatever parts I want personally from there. I definitely want to maintain the fixed stock but wanted to see what some of you all are using on yours. Any recommendations for lowers? NoDak looks like their M16A1 lowers are on a good long back order. Anyone know where I could get one in a shorter time span? Thanks in advance.

Are you looking to just clone a Mk 12 or build it to spec? Cosmetically, the difference between an A1 lower and A2/M4 lower is there's a little extra meat around the front takedown pin holes and at the rear where the receiver extension threads in. Otherwise, it's doubtful most people would be able to tell the difference unless they really knew what to look for.

That being said, Fulton Armory looks like they have a complete lower with A1 stock that's in stock that should fit nicely with the Mk 12 Mod 1 upper. It comes with a Mil-spec Trigger but it looks like there's an option to add a 2-stage trigger to it.

That will give you a pretty clone I think, if you want to get as close to spec as possible then you might have to wait for NoDak or Brownells to get their M16A1 parts back in stock.

Last edited:
Are you looking to just clone a Mk 12 or build it to spec? Cosmetically, the difference between an A1 lower and A2/M4 lower is there's a little extra meat around the front takedown pin holes and at the rear where the receiver extension threads in. Otherwise, it's doubtful most people would be able to tell the difference unless they really knew what to look for.

That being said, Fulton Armory looks like they have a complete lower with A1 stock that's in stock that should fit nicely with the Mk 12 Mod 1 upper. It comes with a Mil-spec Trigger but it looks like there's an option to add a 2-stage trigger to it.

That will give you a pretty clone I think, if you want to get as close to spec as possible then you might have to wait for NoDak or Brownells to get their M16A1 parts back in stock.

Originally I was all on board with just ordering an LMT Defender with an A2 stock but I let my father in law talk me into getting a stripped lower and building the lower myself.

Ok, well then Brownells and Fulton Armory have some parts in stock that'll work...

All that stuff appears to be in stock and will set you back about $400.

The nodak is worth the wait and I believe nodak supplies Brownells with forging

The nodak is worth the wait and I believe nodak supplies Brownells with forging

I’m hearing that so far. May just settle into the waiting game then. They do provide brownells with blanks and brownells stamps them.

Order an AEM5. It will complete a very effective system for you.

has anyone had any luck with McKay stripped lowers. I'm hearing some mixed things. It's been suggested that they forge for Nodak. They have some stripped M16A1 lowers for sale but they're a bit pricey at $160. That's a bit higher than Nodak and Nodak is getting all the praise for their attention to detail. Thoughts?

I went with the PRI 80% A1 lower for my build.

If I decide to build another one, I would get the bare lower, have it engraved, milled, and then anodized.

What kind of barrel did you use? I just came across a few original mk12 mod 1 barrels, hopefully I'll get mine built soon

0bk3BDn.jpg

Qccb8iM.jpg

What kind of barrel did you use? I just came across a few original mk12 mod 1 barrels, hopefully I'll get mine built soon

0bk3BDn.jpg

Qccb8iM.jpg

Kevin over at High Caliber Sales built the upper for me. He uses Douglas stainless with a 1/7” twist

is kevin still building uppers? I read somewhere he is retired

is kevin still building uppers? I read somewhere he is retired

Kevin did a large order back in March and has some parts left over from that so he built one for me. Not sure what the status is on any additional uppers. I got mine and haven't thrown a lower on it yet.

Call Monty at Centurion Arms. He is the go to for the Crane Spec Mk12 barrels and has been for as long as I can remember.

I love the Kapolei Hawaii markings. were those customized?

I saw you post on my classified add. I wanted the Nodak Spud Retro M16A1 lower. The backorder is about 6 months. They're the best I know of for A1 stripped lowers. I ended up settling for a Brownells M16A1 lower instead. The forgings are from Nodak and the machine work is done by brownells. Test fit shows it fits my upper perfectly. The Brownells lowers come in stock every now and then, but only make it about 24 hours before they sell out. You can find a few on gunbroker for roughly 100 over retail.

Kevin did an upper for me in 2013. Allen Brown built it and if I recall was the guy at Crane. I was told Douglas barrels were the barrel they used and are legit. I had a difficult time with the proper lower so I just used a KAC but I did install an A1 stock. I loved that gun.

Reactions: RTH1800
Alan Brown did do the builds for Kevin at HCS. I think he is fully retired now. Great guy, great smith.

Yep, that was another mistake I made selling that mofo!

Kevin still makes the uppers for the MK12. He's slowed down the HCS business and only shells out standard uppers without the add-ons now. He also builds them whenever supplies last from spare components from contract work he does. Alan runs his own shop and specializes in the MK13 platform. I'm told his health has declined a bit over the last couple of years resulting in long lead times and some folks are getting those rifles back in pretty poor conditions.

Yes, i read that on Kevins website. Id love to try and get another upper while I still can to stuff in the closet.

Yes, i read that on Kevins website. Id love to try and get another upper while I still can to stuff in the closet.

Give Kevin a shout, I'm not sure what his supply line looks like right now. He built my upper back in March.

not to jump on the thread but I just purchased an AEM-5 and mk12 mod 1 from Kevin at HCS and it should arrive any day. ill post a picture when I get it so you can see if the quality is where you want. I had ABSOLUTELY NO issues putting the money out and he was a complete pleasure to work with. I'm in the same boat though on the lower. NODAK seemed to be the go too but they are even at 160 now and the wait time is up to 3-4 months minimum (not to mention the website looks terrible) I've been scouring trying to find an affordable option as well let us know what you go with!

Reactions: PolarSoldier
not to jump on the thread but I just purchased an AEM-5 and mk12 mod 1 from Kevin at HCS and it should arrive any day. ill post a picture when I get it so you can see if the quality is where you want. I had ABSOLUTELY NO issues putting the money out and he was a complete pleasure to work with. I'm in the same boat though on the lower. NODAK seemed to be the go too but they are even at 160 now and the wait time is up to 3-4 months minimum (not to mention the website looks terrible) I've been scouring trying to find an affordable option as well let us know what you go with!

I shot you over a PM, but long story short, my HCS upper put together by Kevin is immaculate. Not sure what stripped upper or BCG he used to put the receiver together, but I don't believe either of them are Colt. Eventually I'd like to swap those out for Colt, but otherwise I can't complain about the quality. I ended up getting a Brownells/Nodak forging M16A1 lower. The quality of that looks good enough, but the fit is not great. Lots of slop and I'm told thats pretty common for the Brownells lowers. I hopped on the Nodak waitlist as I've been told those are much nicer and tighter than the Brownells versions. I'll just swap out whenever my turn in the line comes up. The difficulty I'm having right now is finding an AEM5 can in stock. I'm told Ron Allen is backed up pretty good on those cans. I want to throw Kevin the business for the AEM5, but hes a little higher than some of the other sites I do business with. That being said if he can get it faster, I'll shell out a few more bucks. How long did it take for Kevin to get you one of those cans?

PMed you on it but for everyone else ill put it here. Kevin said he would be able to get it its just going to take a little while. I shelled out for it because I didn't really know where else to look and I don't mind giving a good company my business. wait time I'm not sure about right now. All I know is I'm purchased and just waiting to receive it lol. I'm in ATF Purgatory for 2 other suppressor the longest one has been since last November if that helps at any time.

PMed you on it but for everyone else ill put it here. Kevin said he would be able to get it its just going to take a little while. I shelled out for it because I didn't really know where else to look and I don't mind giving a good company my business. wait time I'm not sure about right now. All I know is I'm purchased and just waiting to receive it lol. I'm in ATF Purgatory for 2 other suppressor the longest one has been since last November if that helps at any time.

No doubt as I’ve said before Kevin’s a great guy to work with. I bought a knights can from him earlier in the year. Easy to work with. In the future if you’re looking for other clone parts and good folks to work with take a look at presample depot and black phase tactical. I’ve had great experiences with them as well

I recently got an upper from him. The thing is a piece to behold. Pending approval for my AEM5. Just need a lower and the BUIS for it.

Where’d you pick up your AEM5?

eSilencers in Tennessee. They get batches of them in every so often, you can opt to be placed on an alert list. Form 3 to my local dealer, who is partnered with a SilencerShop kiosk so the form 4 application was as painless as usual.