• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK 12 MOD 1 Effectiveness

KACstealth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2011
The north pole
I am curious what ranges you all have been effective with your MK12's.
I am not talking about hitting 1k yds 1 out of every 10 shots. rather, i am looking for a majority of hits.
I mean with irons many can shoot to 500 effectively with 556, so what should i be able to hit with my MK12

THanks in advance folks

Re: MK 12 MOD 1 Effectiveness

if you can see the splash i have hit consistantly out to 950 on many occasions with 77grn

holy moly! and what sort of optic were you using? I am trying to gt decent groups at 600 yds, and in reality that should not be that difficult. I would like to master the rifle and get out to 800 yds consistently bc in reality it should not be that hard

THanks again big JOe

2-10x24 NF. we were hitting a 10"x7" buoey consistantly at that distance

I may have to upgrade to better quality glass. Currently I am using a Zeiss conquest variable 4-16 i believe. it is clear but it wouldnt hurt to upgrade

well great!!! thanks for the response.
now would that be with just the 77Gr. smk
or should i be able to with 193 and ball?

i only use 77grn in my SPR's since thats what the barrels and that round was designed for

shot mine at 725 alot, been gettin 1.5-2 moa groups regularly and i suck, havent quite figgered out what "my part" is

ok sweet thanks
more than likely that is all i will shoot at the long range, however i would like it to cycle it all and shoot it all effectively
i have allot more of the other stuff that i like plinking, etc

another question is that i willl have my Suppressor in a few months. will i lose range effectiveness shooting suppressed? i have only shot cans at relatively closer ranges

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KACstealth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">another question is that i willl have my Suppressor in a few months. will i lose range effectiveness shooting suppressed? i have only shot cans at relatively closer ranges

thanks</div></div>

mine actually improved accuracy, and boosts fps by around 40 fps

The MK12 and the 77gr Mk262 round were designed to work together. I think a pretty realistic max effective range for this combination is 800yrds or so. The MK12 will shoot M855 and M193 just fine but you'll lose some range and accuracy. I usually shoot M855 in mine and switch to the more expensive Mk262 when it counts.

Is it worth getting a spec built Mk12 or is it not worth the extra cash you spend. I was looking at the offering from high caliber sales, specifically the mod1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it worth getting a spec built Mk12 or is it not worth the extra cash you spend. I was looking at the offering from high caliber sales, specifically the mod1. </div></div>

Depends on what you want, if it's important to you to have a spot on copy of the military rifle then spec is the way to go, if you just want a good shooting SPR then there are plenty of ways to go about that. Mine is spec, High Caliber Sales MK12 Mod1, shoots great and I predict it will hold its value better than a custom (frankin) upper.

Not a MK12 but similar build. Fastex500 built an SPR with 18" stainless match barrel and we were shooting 625 and it was FUN! It was 3/4 Larue style targets so they weren't easy but they weren't extremely hard either.

As long as you make the right wind call, you will hit what your aiming at. A Mk12 clone is next on my list.

I can make hits pretty consistant out to 850 yards. Here is a vid of me and my buddy working over the plates at 800 yrds with My MK12. Skip to the 5 minute mark in the video.
MK 12 800 yrds

Furthest I have shot mine was out to 600 yards. 18" steel isn't too much of a problem with light winds. But it does get squirley with anything over 7mph. Shooting 1 MOA size targets at that distance, now that is tricky to be consistent and will challenge your wind reading skills.

i have hit a target 18" tall 12" wide regularly or 9-shots our of 10 at 790 yards wind starts becoming a issue after that....was hitting 75% 910 yards a few weeks ago but conditions were great. It is not optimum but it works to those ranges

We can't speak to your shooting ability with or without irons.

The WS was designed around an 80% hit rate at 700 meters. I have achieved that with the MK 12 Mod 0 using a target HALF the size of the test target for this standard.

As one that puts thousands of rounds down DMR/SPR type rifles a year with irons and optics, I can tell you for sure the WS is not the cause of not hitting at 500 yards.

Reactions: RECKON SO

I shoot mine pretty regularly out to 1k using Black Hills Mk262 seconds. I don't have my data with me, but my elevation is just about the same as with 7.62 M118LR and wind calls are about .25-.5 mil heavier than with the M118.

Spotting your own rounds is a bit difficult. It helps to have a suppressor and shoot without an earplug in your left ear to hear the impact when shooting steal. The .77 grain 5.56 rounds don't carry nearly the energy that 7.62 LR does. Mk262 is about 400 ft-lbs less at 1,000 yards. Having a spotter is almost a must.

The great thing about a 5.56 precision rifle is the cost of ammo. I get my Black Hills MK262 for just over .56 per round 175 grain 7.62 match is usually over $1 a round. Another bonus is that if you are shooting inside of 300 you can use 55 grain XM193 to about the same effectiveness and save a lot of money.

sweet! thanks for the advice buddy, and i too plan on using cheaper ammo for the closer ranges and 77gr for the Lr stuff

Thanks for the response

My GF in her first rifle match (she's a pistol shooter) shot my MK 12 Mod 0 with a Type III optic at 500 yards. The COF was the Guard Combat rifle course, so we were shooting the E silhouette.

10 shots slow fire were in a group the size of a grapefruit. 10 shots rapid fire as well.

I did the same thing with a DMR type (20") right next to her, sling coat and irons. Both of us shooting a Mk 262 Mod 0 type clone ammo.

500 is a cake walk for this WS.

that is great shooting with irons, nice job

I want to be able to shoot it at 800. I do not know that i can not, rather i have not tried yet. I have shot it today at 560m and i had no problems shooting the steel torso

i am just super stoked to hear back from the ATF one day and get my stamp bc then i feel as though i may have a complete weapon system. (suppressor)

I may upgrade the optic down the road, however i do not know whether it is necessary

The Mk 262 ammo will behave predictably at that distance but not much beyond. Load some hot 80s and single load them for distances beyond that. Don't expect it to act like a 308 with 175s though.

I think Frank hit it right on the nose, 800m with 262 should be a consistent result.

I have a Mk12'ish replica (primary difference is the 20" barrel instead of 18") and it was a very easy "hitter" at 650-700yd, got tougher at 800-850 and my longest hits were out around 1150 with it. That was REALLY stretching it though under optimal conditions. I'm shooting Mk262 clone that I tuned the 77's to shoot well in my rifle, tighter than the Black Hills version of 262 in the red box.

I looked into buying a MK12 upper to take on my last deployment, after talking to a bunch of guys on here, I went with a Noveske 18" upper and was running a Gemtech on it. Consistent hits on E-type and targets in country out to 800m topped with a Leupy CQBSS.

Mostly it was used as our "dog" gun though due to distances targets would present themselves.

The SPR is a great weapon and allowed a lot of flexibility for our spotters. Im sure if we were in a more urban area, it would have been used even more.

These don't fit all situations, but do play the 0 to 600 extremely well, and to 800 if you are shooting man sized targets.

awesome, thanks victory. Mine is KAC so i hope the quality is comparable to noveske. Noveske makes fine rifles, i shot a friends and the quality is top notch
thanks

Would you recommend the Mod 1 for someone with real high cheek bones? I prefer the looks of the mod0 and think the extra pound of weight would make it a dream to shoot, but the cheek weld looks awfully high. Also I can get a mod 1 and the ops inc. can for the same price as the mod0 upper alone.

I do not think you would have an issue. And if oyu found that you did, then you could swap out stocks to one that you prefer