• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK 12 sniper rifle

h4everything

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
OK
Guys I just got through reading the "Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell and it is one hell of a book. I read it cover to cover yesterday. I just couldn't put it down. It is a great book and the sacrifices those heros made was amazing and what they accomplished ws amazing.

My question is what is the MK 12 sniper rifle he talks about carrying?

Re: MK 12 sniper rifle

here you go...this is built to spec:

IMG_2718.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: h4everything</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys I just got through reading the "Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell and it is one hell of a book. I read it cover to cover yesterday. I just couldn't put it down. It is a great book and the sacrifices those heros made was amazing and what they accomplished ws amazing.

My question is what is the MK 12 sniper rifle he talks about carrying? </div></div>

I have been meaning to pick up a copy, if it is that good I need to stop procrastinating and buy it.

I saw them both ways when I was at Crane, but 90% had the A2 stock, mine now wears a lmt...

Off the cuff specs are

Doulgless SS 1:7 18" M4 feed ramps SPR bbl (I think Compass lake does the work)
M4 upper
KAC gas block
KAC FF Rail
KAC bipod adaptor
OPS INC 12th
KAC rail frint site
KAC 600M rear site
LEUPOLD MK4 MRT M3 Illum Mildot
ARMS or Larue SPR

Lower A1 / ERGO Grip or A2 grip
KAC trigger
I saw a couple with ambi safty
that is about all i can think of I am sure I missed something

I love this set up out to 600m I have taken it to 750 but only hit about 70%

Thinking of building one of these some day. Wondering if I should start with the 12th model first, as it may be impossible to get in the near future.

Zink has the specs correct. The LMT v. A2 buttstock is pretty much up to operator preference. I've seen a pretty even mix of those issued to the students at the NSWC S/S School at Atterbury.

I am building 3 right now parts are a bitXX, barrels too.

I am just going to chamber them up myself.

1/8 Stainless rock barrels.

Nodak Spud makes correct lowers for a MK12, The NDS16 is the correct lower.

Spec MK12's have fixed A2 stocks.

Check Centurion Arms: http://centurionarms.com/index.html

I will personally vouch for Monty (owner). He is the real deal and as far as BTDT T-shirts, he has a drawer full.
He isn't a FAG (<span style="font-weight: bold">F</span>ormer <span style="font-weight: bold">A</span>ction <span style="font-weight: bold">G</span>uy) he is still active and very busy with his venture. He may be the only guy with the capability to build SPEC MK12's time after time, you can make one for yourself, but he has the manufacturers as suppliers, and that is unique for that specific system, built to Crane / NAVSPECWAR specs.

Just got my Mk12 Mod1 upper from Monty over the holidays. He said it would take about a month due to the post-election frenzy, yet I got my ready email in only three weeks. No deposit required, exactly as spec'd and done to his word. A wonderful build, pictured here with my next project in the works.

PROJECTS.jpg

These USMC linked pics show their's wearing the newer Mark 4 2.5-8x36 4 MR/T with M2 knobs. Not sure if they're sticking with those or moving to the NF like the Navy rifles though.

Steve at Adco was selling a genuine MK12 Mod 1 upper for 2400 bucks. But you could build a replica for a little over a grand, depending on what you get. You could spend 4-5K easy in building a "clone"

that is a damn good book. i got it for christmas and am reading it for the second time. buy it!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve at Adco was selling a genuine MK12 Mod 1 upper for 2400 bucks. But you could build a replica for a little over a grand, depending on what you get. You could spend 4-5K easy in building a "clone" </div></div>

Thanks, but I knew that. I was wondering what the Centurion Arms build cost. I had not seen them before.

I think I've seen a few "clones" with the Magpul PRS stock too. Any issued like this?

I love the idea behind the Mk12 family of rifles.

So I had one built more inline with what I need and use.

Upper:
• Stag Arms Left A3 Flattop Upper Assembly
• Stag Arms Left Bolt Carrier Group
• Stag Arms Ambidextrous Barrel extension
• Daniel Defense Lite 14.0 Handguard
• Daniel Defense Low Profile Gas block
• Compass Lake Engineering 18 inch long, Douglas 1/7twist barrel, with rifle-length gas system and M16A2 Flash Hider

Lower
• JP Enterprises JP Fire Control System with Speed Hammer and Over Size Pins set to 4.5 lbs of trigger pull from JP Enterprises
• Stag Arms lower
• MagPul UBR rifle stock, and Enhanced Trigger Guard
• Norgon AR-15/M16 AMBI-CATCH
• Enidine AR-Restor Hydraulic Recoil Buffer

Optic:

• Horus 3-12x50 Hawk
• Badger Ord 22 MOA base
• Badger Ord Med 30mm rings

18inchCLEStag1.jpg

18inchCLEStag.jpg

This rifle shoots VERY well. I would look to Compass Lake Engineering to build one for you. They do the barrels anyhow for the Mk12's and have YEARS of match winning rifles.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I've seen a few "clones" with the Magpul PRS stock too. Any issued like this?
</div></div>

No, They go out the door at Crane with an A2 stock. The PRS is a much better alternative than a carbine stock. When you combine a carbine buffer/action spring with a midlength gas system and full auto your asking for trouble.

There are many folks who make clones that are kinda sorta close, but there are a few parts on the Mk12 that are made in house and are not available to the public.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoleCailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much was that upper if you do not mind me asking?
</div></div>

I know Wes at MSTN will build a spec Mk12 upper. I feel like the cost is about $1800 without the sights but with the Ops Inc brake. These are an expensive build because of the KAC parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psywar1-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I've seen a few "clones" with the Magpul PRS stock too. Any issued like this?
</div></div>

No, They go out the door at Crane with an A2 stock. The PRS is a much better alternative than a carbine stock. When you combine a carbine buffer/action spring with a midlength gas system and full auto your asking for trouble.

There are many folks who make clones that are kinda sorta close, but there are a few parts on the Mk12 that are made in house and are not available to the public.

</div></div>

Unless Crane has changed, they come out with A1 stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoverG79</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psywar1-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I've seen a few "clones" with the Magpul PRS stock too. Any issued like this?
</div></div>

</div></div>

Unless Crane has changed, they come out with A1 stocks. </div></div>

Mod 0's and some Mod 1's did have A1 stocks, but current production is A2. The supply of A1 stocks dwindled very quickly since they have not been produced since the 80's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeez, John -- I didn't know you was a lefty! </div></div>

Sir,

friday night is stranger night, whole new meaning to going weak hand.

laugh.gif

John

Almost thought that was a backwards upside down negative! Upside down cover w/ LH eject! Maybe my eyes...
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psywar1-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Which parts? An authentic upper was just sold on another board.

Looking at the above pictures with the Marines using them, the one picture of the Marine using his hand on the butt stock to get an elevated cheek weld is a pretty good arguement for adding a PRS or similar stock.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at the above pictures with the Marines using them, the one picture of the Marine using his hand on the butt stock to get an elevated cheek weld is a pretty good arguement for adding a PRS or similar stock..... </div></div>

The PRS does not work, the MagPul PRS cheek riser is to far back for real use. It makes the shooter have a jacked up position. The cheek riser is set so the charging handle can work, but it makes you short stock the rifle.

John

What would you suggest as a solution John? Or, is it not the problem I am seeing based on that one picture? Any field expedient (duct tape & foam) build up would also have to be built with room for the charging handle.... Again, it may not be the problem I'm thinking it might be as my observation was made based on one picture.... Would appreciate your insights! Thanks!

Bill

Bill,

The Marine is having the issues do to the body armor and K-Pot. The rear focal point of these rifles is setup for a non-body armor / K-Pot shooter.

If they would use a LaRue SPR-E type mount, this Marine would not have such a issue.

John

I was in the middle of building a SAM-R but always liked the look of the MK12. Now maybe this changes everything. Like most Marines, I like to build rifles and pistols that my brothers are fighting with. The SAM-R is a little cheaper since the 20in Match barrel is easier to find. I heard that the USMC was going to field the MK12 starting in 2007 but I never saw any.
Thanks for the pics and build info.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never seen an issue MK 12 or one in the sandbox with a PRS </div></div>

I have, but i think the accessories were purchased with team funds. Also as stated previously the NF optics seem to springing up on long guns in country more often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sps243</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is a damn good book. i got it for christmas and am reading it for the second time. buy it!!!!!!!</div></div>

It is a good book. You can always rent it from the local library if you don't want to buy one for your collection.

This may be a stupid question but I tell my students no question is a stupid one. Instead of buiding one of my M1A's, a standard and a socom 16, can I purchase an accurised "Sniper rifle" all done. I also have a couple a AR15's, an AR10 and a mini 14.. I guess I'm looking for some advice on what to do. I would like to add to the the lot a couple of accurized rifles. My 1k BR rifles are too heavy for such an applcation.
Any suggstions would be welcome.
vinny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: h4everything</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys I just got through reading the "Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell and it is one hell of a book. I read it cover to cover yesterday. I just couldn't put it down. It is a great book and the sacrifices those heros made was amazing and what they accomplished ws amazing.

My question is what is the MK 12 sniper rifle he talks about carrying? </div></div>

An interesting note on all this. A friend of mine had dinner in Hawaii with Marcus a few months after he got back. My friend has not read the book. When I showed him my Mk 12 and referred to the book and Marcus using it in A'stan, he gave me a puzzled look and said Marcus told him he was carrying a 7.62 on that mission... Hard to know what the truth was at this point. I'm sure someone does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 260 shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the velocity of the MK 262 out of the MK 12? </div></div>

Along with the velocity, do we know what type of powder and how much it is? Want to try and duplicate the round?

Powder is not a cannister variant we can buy and target velocity is 2800 FPS. I run a few tenths hotter than my normal 77 SMK load and live with about a 50 fps deficit versus the real thing.

Vince Jiga is the original contractor that made them at the VERY beginning of the SPR project. I have one of his uppers and it is the real deal.Not to take anything away from the other vendors. I spoke to Vince right before I left for Iraq and he had enough parts to make I think 5 more uppers. He has terminal cancer so I hope is is still around. His Phone # 740-780-4801

Vince is gone.
frown.gif

=======================

"Major Vincent Paul Jiga, 67, of Highland Ridge, Marietta, died at 10:50 a.m. Wednesday (Nov. 11, 2009) at his home.

He was born on Dec. 1, 1941, in Columbus, Ohio, to the late Vincent Jiga and Margaret Ruggles-Jiga. He retired from the Ohio National Guard. During his career he served in both the U.S. Army and Marine Corps. Vince attended St. Stephen Catholic Church in Caldwell, Ohio.

He is survived by a daughter, Rae Anne Tremblay (Timothy) of Newark, Ohio; and a son, Jon Kris Jiga of Columbus, Ohio. One brother, Thomas Jiga (Amy), and three sisters, Carol Lehman (Richard), Magdalen Herman (Charles), and Elaine Jiga (Paul) also survive.

He was cremated at his request."

Nodak Spud makes correct lowers for a MK12, The NDS16 is the correct lower.

Spec MK12's have fixed A2 stocks.

Check Centurion Arms: http://centurionarms.com/index.html

I will personally vouch for Monty (owner). He is the real deal and as far as BTDT T-shirts, he has a drawer full.
He isn't a FAG (<span style="font-weight: bold">F</span>ormer <span style="font-weight: bold">A</span>ction <span style="font-weight: bold">G</span>uy) he is still active and very busy with his venture. He may be the only guy with the capability to build SPEC MK12's time after time, you can make one for yourself, but he has the manufacturers as suppliers, and that is unique for that specific system, built to Crane / NAVSPECWAR specs.

Your link no longer works and I was wanting to price an MK 12 like the one shown above.
If you have a new/working link I'd be interested in seeing what it would cost me to have him put one together for me.
Thanks in advance, either way.