• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk 262 copy

tak371

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2007
kansas, usa
Does anyone have info on what powder Blackhills uses for their 223 77SMK ammo? I've read about a RL15 load but it was a little slow and had some flyers. I pulled some Blackhills apart and it was ball not extruded. Any info and loads will be helpful. (18" SPRish clone)

Re: Mk 262 copy

I don't know about BH, but 23-24gr of Ramshot TAC in a LC case with a 77gr SMK is a pretty successful load. I used 23.5gr when I shot an AR in highpower competition (1999-2002) in my AR based on a POC at NSWC Crane telling me a little bird had told him that recipe to reload was a good place to start for getting close to Mk262.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tak371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have info on what powder Blackhills uses for their 223 77SMK ammo? I've read about a RL15 load but it was a little slow and had some flyers. I pulled some Blackhills apart and it was ball not extruded. Any info and loads will be helpful. (18" SPRish clone)</div></div>

It is a non-canister grade powder that is not available to the general public.

From my understanding, RL15 is generally the powder used to load the 77 grain match loads for the military shooting teams. It was found too temperature sensetive for use in combat weapons, though.

Though reloaders don't have access to the specific bulk powder that Black Hills uses for its MK262 loadings, many have found success with Tac and Varget. Tac works well in moderate climates, and feeds well through powder measures on progressive presses. If you live where it gets really hot, like AZ, we have to use Varget. Many people have safely achived or gotten close to MK262 Mod1 velocities with these two powders.

There is a thread about this almost weekly on the arfcom reloding board:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=285120&page=1

and there are loads listed on here too:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=351023&page=2

According to some very reliable sorces associated with the teams, NukeMMC is right on course. I believe the correct load is 24.3 grs.

My own personal Mk 262 load development agrees with all the above plus add H4895 into the mix as it was my chosen powder since it edged the TAC a skootch in accuracy; 10 in 10" @ 600 yds with a 2x TA47-2 ACOG. I was pushing 2750 in a 16" RRA, faster w/ TAC.

Alan

I loaded to 2.260" OAL (mag length) and used Rem 7 1/2 primers. Also remember that if you're trying to duplicate Mk262's velocities, the gov't spec is as measured at 78ft from the muzzle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NukeMMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[snip]Also remember that if you're trying to duplicate Mk262's velocities, the gov't spec is as measured at 78ft from the muzzle.</div></div>

STILL?!?!?!? Guess when you have a system that works, there's no reason to futz with it.

I use Benchmark with the 77's, 22.6 grains and get 2650 mv, is max load, no pressure signs, the accurate load. This is from a CLE 16" Douglas. I tried the H4895 and that barrel didn't like it.

Mark