• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK II threading barrel??

BAMAboy18

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
I had one of these years ago and regrettably let it go. Last year I was fortunate enough to find its twin! I've wanted to have it threaded & use it as a host. Any opinions on the affects to its value?
I know it's not historical, I'm not sure if I'd consider it collectable. I'm proud of it, love shooting it! But in the end its a tool, and an investment that if needed could be sold. (Hince why I no longer have my original)

Attachments

• Screenshots_2020-12-26-15-32-00.png
    Screenshots_2020-12-26-15-32-00.png
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 58
I wouldn't worry about the resale value. If having it threaded works for you then you have increased the value. Here's mine:
55F5CA3D-D2A0-4067-9A38-2C87233112B7.jpeg

Reactions: BAMAboy18
Certain people will definitely attempt to steer you away from altering one. I can see that point of view.

I struggled with the decision for a while myself, but eventually came to the conclusion that it would never get shot if I didn't get it threaded. So I had it done and I don't regret it one bit. You're right about collector value, there are a ton of them out there. They aren't particularly rare, people just like to hold onto them. I would go at least 4.5" on the barrel when you get it trimmed though.

Thread it if you want to, it's not rare. Jim Pixley at jpgrips.com does a lot of these.

If it worries you, buy a mark iv threaded target, add a Volquartzen trigger, and enjoy.

The mark ii has a better factory trigger. Maybe more accurate, but that's a Ruger lottery. Mark IV is so much easier to disassemble and clean.

So do whatever makes you happy. If threading an old one won't let you be happy there's another route.

By all means, thread away, suppressors are so prevalent today most future owners would think it's cool. (As long as the threading job was professional)
I understand the "collectible" aspect but I only have shooters.
2015-03-13_14-04-34_578.jpg

By all means, thread away, suppressors are so prevalent today most future owners would think it's cool. (As long as the threading job was professional)
I understand the "collectible" aspect but I only have shooters.
View attachment 7802650
That's the best thread protector I've seen (slab-side), the ones I've been seeing use a round one. Who did that for you?

Do it. You'll enjoy it more with a can. I went back and forth on whether or not to chop mine when I threaded. Ended up staying full length. Still want to get some sort of a shorty like a little bobcat or something.