• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes MK IV 10x40 M3

para1505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
Columbia MO area
Any shooters that have used this scope tell me what you think of them . I am in the process of purchasing one . I hear a lot of shooters on this site talking bad about Leupold .But I can't see how this scope is not good quality when sits on the M24 SWS and was on the rifle that got the longest confirmed kill for a 7.62

Re: MK IV 10x40 M3

Have hade a M3A for 14yrs , its great (very simple scope)LOVE IT!!!! use 30-06 bdc & it will track very close to 118LR.

Big $ glass is for show & tell!!!!

I have 2 of them, been using them since about 96'-97'.
Good scope. leupold used to make custom cams for them if the ones with it don't work for you. I have cams labled: 223Rem/5.56mm, 308M, 7.62mm Nato M118,& 30-06 cams. I only use the two .308 cams & the track fine for my loads.

I bought mine used about 7 yrs ago. It sits atop of my 700P, only complaint would be the covered focus turret.

I like them. Get a used one though, the new ones run 1100-1200 and used they can be had for 700 or so with the same warranty. Let some other sap take the retail hit. Just know that the scope has 1MOA clicks on the elevation and 1/2MOA on windage which means one elevation click will move you 1" at 100 yards vs. 1/2" for one windage click. I found that I could get my windage pretty much dead on at 400 but elevation was either a little high or low. I didn't really find it to be an issue but it's something to consider.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSGN8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Big $ glass is for show & tell!!!! </div></div>

Not really, I've used both expensive and cheap and there is a difference.

I have used a few and had no problems with them. I like the M3 ability to go out to 1,000 with one turn, but dont' like the course adjustment of 1MOA. One my personal MK4's I have opted for the M1 turrets. The M2 looks like a good compromise. I will probably have all my M1 Turrets converted to M5's when that is available. I have not had any issues with the scopes themselves. I would hope Leupold would do a little more in the way of innovation. I would rather there be a M10 turret with 10 mils per revolution, like NF's new high speed turrets, but the cost of coversion is cheaper than a new scope so I will settle with the 5 Mils the M5 gives.

Great scope very good optics reliable simple battle proved real professional no bs scope
I will never sell mine

grin.gif
what you guys are telling me is what i was thinking it would be. I will be able to get mine at the end of November. i_rep is holding one for me. It is NIB never mounted. He had it for sale here at the Hide. I am so anxious to get.

you will not be sorry its not fancy but for real world sniper shooting it gets the job done as good as any of the Fancy names you can think of

para 150, sometimes its a pain taking off the covers.ive lost a couple over the years (have not seen many true alpha models on the civy side).

Like everyone here has said, It is a wonderful purpose built scope. Very tough (take a beating) with 1 moa elevation and .5 windage. Elevation is a single turn to 1 click and was meant for rapid target engagement and not very minute target shooting. Glass is great. Of course there are scopes with better glass, better reticles, and better options. That being said I love mine and it is a piece of american history, like the Redfields on old M40s. It is a historical piece of equipment that works and one day people will be paying an expensive premium for them and reminisce of what they have accomplished for our country