• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK Machining help. ARD on a 1x optic?

Lil' Tone

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2023
Missouri
www.mkmachining.com
So we are looking for a bit of help here. I was approached by a customer the other day that was less than pleased when he discovered that an ARD he got from us was visible when his LPVO was dialed all the way down to 1x. He was certain it was our design as "my X brand in the past did not do this". From my understanding all ARDs are visible when at or near 1x on any optic?

Am I just a big dummy?

If anyone has any pictures or examples of an ARD mounted on a 1x, you would be our hero.

Not a dummy, at least not about that. I have an Elcan SpecterDR 1X/4X with ARD and there just isn't a way to hide an ARD on a 1X - at least not one that would work well - keeping in mind what an ARD is for...
Tell the customer when he mall ninjas at the local gun range, take the ARD off. When he heads to the 2-way range, put it back on - easy peasy.

I have your throw levers on several optics, by the way - big fan.

Carry on.

Not a dummy, at least not about that. I have an Elcan SpecterDR 1X/4X with ARD and there just isn't a way to hide an ARD on a 1X - at least not one that would work well - keeping in mind what an ARD is for...
Tell the customer when he mall ninjas at the local gun range, take the ARD off. When he heads to the 2-way range, put it back on - easy peasy.

I have your throw levers on several optics, by the way - big fan.

Carry on.
Thanks man. It means a lot.

We have been selling LPVO ARD's for quite some time now so I figured it was more common knowledge. But in the last few weeks we had an uptick on 1x complaints making me second guess. I'll keep on spreading the news I guess..

I have a homemade ARD (3D printed .4mm line thickness for the mesh), very similar to the pattern on the One Hundred Concepts version. It is totally usable on 1x, but I can tell it's there.

Last edited:
The use case is fascinating to me, likely due to my own ignorance.

Bad Guy is close enough or large enough that 1x will do, but I am afraid he will identify my position through the reflection on my objective lens, as I haven’t opened fire yet and given my position away through noise and muzzle flash.

-Stan

I've only used 1 ARD on a dedicated 1X, it was on the old dual RMRs and it was to darken the window because the reticle was so dim.

On a variable, lens flare is lens flare, regardless of magnification. It is a tool that accomplishes a specific task; there are multiple ways to accomplish that same task.

I would contend that anyone whining about seeing the ARD at 1X probably doesn't really need the ARD anyway. Then again, I don't know who did the whining or why, it is just assumptions on my part.

A sunshade does pretty much the same thing with a very different approach, run that if the ARD is so disconcerting.

Carry on.

I have a homemade ARD (3D printed .4mm line thickness for the mesh), very similar to the pattern on the One Hundred Concepts version. It is totally usable on 1x, but I can tell it's there.
Do you remember what depth of the honeycomb? I bet that plays a factor to some extent.

We are running 0.55mm to be a bit more durable.

I've only used 1 ARD on a dedicated 1X, it was on the old dual RMRs and it was to darken the window because the reticle was so dim.

On a variable, lens flare is lens flare, regardless of magnification. It is a tool that accomplishes a specific task; there are multiple ways to accomplish that same task.

I would contend that anyone whining about seeing the ARD at 1X probably doesn't really need the ARD anyway. Then again, I don't know who did the whining or why, it is just assumptions on my part.

A sunshade does pretty much the same thing with a very different approach, run that if the ARD is so disconcerting.

Carry on.
I assume the same. I can only imagine a small portion of the ARDs that we sell are for people who are using them for their intent. Largely I bet it is for tacticool mallninja types.

Do you remember what depth of the honeycomb? I bet that plays a factor to some extent.

We are running 0.55mm to be a bit more durable.
Not deep enough. I'm still playing with the settings. I tried 4mm, 6mm and 8mm honeycomb depth and didn't notice any perceivable difference in the view through the scope. Obviously you guys would know better what the depth of something like that should be, since you make them and I'm a complete novice on the subject. I just had to print one out after watching Barrel & Hatchet's recent video about lens reflection to give the whole idea a try before buying something. I imagine yours are way more durable than mine, being SLS printed in nylon, as opposed to FDM printed in ASA. Probably better performing as an ARD too, since they have a tighter honeycomb.

Not deep enough. I'm still playing with the settings. I tried 4mm, 6mm and 8mm honeycomb depth and didn't notice any perceivable difference in the view through the scope. Obviously you guys would know better what the depth of something like that should be, since you make them and I'm a complete novice on the subject. I just had to print one out after watching Barrel & Hatchet's recent video about lens reflection to give the whole idea a try before buying something. I imagine yours are way more durable than mine, being SLS printed in nylon, as opposed to FDM printed in ASA. Probably better performing as an ARD too, since they have a tighter honeycomb.
So our ARDs are actually MJF (Multi-Jet Fusion) not SLS. A fair amount more durable without all the z-axis failures you see on SLS stuff. ...And much more expensive equipment :)

Reactions: PappyM3
So our ARDs are actually MJF (Multi-Jet Fusion) not SLS. A fair amount more durable without all the z-axis failures you see on SLS stuff. ...And much more expensive equipment :)
Nice! That's very cool. You guys make great stuff - keep up the good work.

My SAI LVPO came with an ARD. It's visible, but less so than I thought it would be. I did bug me a little so I don't run it.

Reactions: Lil' Tone
Mine have always been visible at 1X. I just look past / through it towards the target and don't really notice it. I guess his mileage may vary 🤷‍♂️.

So we are looking for a bit of help here. I was approached by a customer the other day that was less than pleased when he discovered that an ARD he got from us was visible when his LPVO was dialed all the way down to 1x. He was certain it was our design as "my X brand in the past did not do this". From my understanding all ARDs are visible when at or near 1x on any optic?

Am I just a big dummy?

If anyone has any pictures or examples of an ARD mounted on a 1x, you would be our hero.

They’ll always be visible on 1x, but how obtrusive they are largely depends on how long the ARD “fins” are.

If you have a very short ARD, it will be less visually obtrusive at 1x, but it will also be less effective as an ARD.

Likewise, if you have a longer ARD it will be more noticeable to the shooter, but it will also be a more effective ARD.

It’s all a trade space.

Precisely. Also, the Elcan Specter ARD is REALLY visible on 1x. That’s quite a deep ARD.

I'm intrigued by the use case. To darken the window, I only ever used one ARD on a dedicated 1X, which was on the previous dual RMRs.