• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk12 Mod0 vs, Mod1

cj1026

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2008
Repulik of Commieforniastan
I have decided to build a Mk12 upper. But I can't decide on a Mod0 or Mod1. Besides a little differance in cost or weigth between the two are there really any other differances? Or does it just boil down to looks?

Re: Mk12 Mod0 vs, Mod1

Mod 0 just looks bad ass. I know the mod 1 isn't, but it just looks like an SPR to me. I went with the mod 0.

Yes the Mod 1 is cheaper, and lighter. IIRC the Mod 1 is about a pound lighter.

But aside from that, its all looks.

To me, the mod 1 looks a lot closer to an M16A4 with a scope. The mod 0 has a much more distinctive look, which I prefer. It is also about a pound heavier than the mod 1, as mentioned above. However, weight in a precision type rifle is not nessesarily a bad thing, unless you plan to be hauling it all over kingdom-come. I went with the mod 0.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

dsc0565c.jpg

Yeah I kinda figured it came down to looks. I have evrything for a Mod0 except the PRI fornt sight and handguards.

About how much does the Mod0 weight? Complete rifle.

A Mod 0 sans the SWAN sleeve is very light.

If you are in love with quad rails get the Mod 1. Some of us aren't.

My SH/JDM 308 build will have a Mod 0 type PRI handguard. I coulda put whatever I wanted on it - DD, Troy, etc. - and I went the Mod 0 route.

But then again, I never got to hang out with all the cool kids and their quad rails.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cj1026</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I kinda figured it came down to looks. I have evrything for a Mod0 except the PRI fornt sight and handguards.

About how much does the Mod0 weight? Complete rifle. </div></div>

As pictured, with loaded 20-round P-Mag, 13.6 lbs. Not the most accurate weight (weighed myself holding my mod 0 and not holding it on the bathroom scale).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cj1026</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I kinda figured it came down to looks. I have evrything for a Mod0 except the PRI fornt sight and handguards.

About how much does the Mod0 weight? Complete rifle. </div></div>

As pictured, with loaded 20-round P-Mag, 13.6 lbs. Not the most accurate weight (weighed myself holding my mod 0 and not holding it on the bathroom scale). </div></div>

Thank you sir. Thats not that bad with evrything pictured.

Has anyone with a Mod0 noticed big shifts in POI when shot from different positions, say bench vs bipod vs sling?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KClark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone with a Mod0 noticed big shifts in POI when shot from different positions, say bench vs bipod vs sling? </div></div>

If it happens, it is not due to pressure on the barrel from the handguard.

Repeatable POI is a challenge regardless of the platform you are shooting.

I had but a short experience with one and it seemed to me any pressure on the tube put pressure on the swansleeve and thereby the scope and changed poi. It is technically free floating in that the barrel has no contact..... but the scope base connected to the tube seems hoky to me, specifically the full length swansleeve screwed to the tube and the tube not being absolutely ridgid. My first clue was zero windage was three complete revolutions right of mechanical zero. It had to be disassembled, the barrel nut tightened slightly and re-assembled with emphasis on twisting the slack in the tube to the left as the tube nut was tightened.

I realize variations in position cause changes in recoil, harmonics, etc. but this setup looks akin to mounting a bipod on the scope. Anybody else see it that way?

Also, I definetly prefer the Mod0 in general to the Mod1, being a civilian I don't have enough gadgets to fill up the cheese grater forrest on the Mod1 so it would just collect mud, foliage and skin.

KClark, I would contact PRI directly with your issue to see if they have any suggestions on dealing with it. They are good folks to work with.

Its all in what you would prefer aesthetically in my opinion. I already own a KAC SR-15 so I went with a MOD 1. I still have yet to get my hands on it and take it to the range but I am confident it will be better for me since I am accustomed to a KAC upper. For sure the Mod 0 in my opinion has a much better look and uniqueness but I just opted for the simplicity, weight difference, and familiarity in a MOD 1. Good luck with your build!

Had both versions and although MOD 0 is heavier and more expensive, I did like the way it handled. Since I didn't have any plans to buy a suppressor --I completely changed course and went with an SDMR build (DD FF rail, set screw FSB) and never looked back. It's lighter, cheaper and blends with standard M16 rifle. Standing out carrying a "special looking weapon" is not a good thing in some situations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like many of us, I just love the way the Mod0 looks.

SPRb.jpg
</div></div>

I never get tired of looking at your pictures, Edwin. Beautiful rifle
grin.gif

12.5 lbs with A-2 butt, 3/9 Harris bipod, and 9oz suppressor on my Mod 0- it's a Compass Lake .22.

KClark, I agree assembly is a bitch; the PRI tube has to be perfectly aligned with the receiver or the SWAN sleeve doesn't sit flat. Two strap wrenches are a help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I never get tired of looking at your pictures, Edwin. Beautiful rifle </div></div>

Many thanks. Many many thanks.
Over the years many shooters have posted pics that I found invaluble in my research, pics that contributed greatly to many of my projects. I certainly hope that here and other forums I've given a little bit back!

I've actually changed the Mod0 MR/T mount a bit, to get some compatibility with my UNS NV scope.
The ARMS #35 base and medium #35 rings were used to try to keep some of the "originality" of the build. Don't know if this combination ever got used in the field, but it's possible. A set of high #22 rings would be the most accurate modification for UNS compatibility, and I may get a set, but I had the #35 base and rings in the parts box.

Mod0.jpg

How is the Sopmod stock for precision rifle work? I hear complaints about it over on the LMT MWS thread for that application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is the Sopmod stock for precision rifle work? I hear complaints about it over on the LMT MWS thread for that application. </div></div>
Never had any problems or complaints. I used to run a PRS because of the D-760 6X for night work, and now it's on another 18" rifle, but did just as well with the SOPMOD. I'm pretty comfortable with the higher cheek also (often needed for NV), probably 'cause of all the time with A2 AR/ACOGs in the "distant" past.
To me the SOPMOD just feels "right", and careful matching of components and it's acceptably tight.

I am away from my Mod O right now. I am looking to build a .308 SASS type carbine and rifle I am looking at a PRI rifle length or JP enterprises/Vtac free float tube. I have searched on here using the SH google and using google, can someone tell me the inside and outside diameter of the PRI tube for the MK 12 mod O and if there is a difference in the DPMS .308 PRI tube. The JP/VTAC will fit both the 5.56 and .308 with a different attachment point.

I have to ask.
I have always had a "thing" for the SPR MOD-0 ver. setup.
mainly:
SPRCrane.jpg

has anyone built this in a 308 ?
I'm toss'n 'round the idea of getting rid of my SASS rail and PRS and refitting my AR10 like the above.
I feel like I'd be breaking some rule about making an 308 ver of the MK12. I'm not looking for the OPS brake, I dig my SF, but the overall Armalite SASS Rail vs the PRI SPR, the MOD-0 is just dam sexy.

Not trying to hijack the thread...but does anybody have (or know where I could get) the dimensions of the Douglas 18" SPR barrel?

Any help appreciated...PM is fine.

IIRC something like.800" from flange to gas block, .750" gas block on my CLE .22 Douglas SPR.
I'll measure next time I open the safe.

Thanks frog - I remember seeing the dims and a line drawing somewhere a while back....but I'm f*cked if I can remember where

As best as I can get the calipers between the handguard and gas block, my CLE is .848" under the handguard, about what Oodin's link provides.

I had a tough time trying to decide which one I wanted, I really like the look of the MOD 0 but I went with the MK12 MOD 1....So now it looks like I'm gonna have to get the other one as well as I never tire of looking at the pic's!

DSC00130.jpg

DSC00133.jpg