• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing MK13 MARS rail conversion

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    7 or so years ago I was first approached about this conversion. Back then they kinda sucked to do as it required a couple different fixturing setups to pull it off and the setup time was a bit tedious.

As some know, we put a 5 axis machine on our floor this year. It's proven itself as a tailor-made machine for jobs like this!

I wrote a probing routine that basically allows a guy to slap the part into the vise with little concern about its absolute position. The probe finds all the relevant features, updates the required registry, and it just goes to work. The bottom half is surface machined to match the receiver's contour while also creating a clearance feature for the RFID tag that goes on the all the Stiller MK13's.

Machining is paused so that a brass pin can be pressed into the part while still in the fixture. This is because M700's and Stillers don't use the same hole spacing on the back of the base where the two parts mount to one another. We also add the pair of dowel pin holes that serve as recoil lugs for the base. The original roll pin is removed and also plugged with a brass pin.

Completed, we flip the part and move to the 2nd op. Again, the machine probes the part qualifies it and updates the registry. A 2nd hole is bored and another brass plug is installed. This is for the rear base screw hole. Machining the rear bridge portion leaves the bottom paper-thin. If we'd of left it, the screw head would pull right through the bottom of the base. So, the oversize plug restores the material thickness so that we can machine the counterbore with the assurance it'll never rip through the bottom.

Then, it's all cleaned up. edges are blended and we add a couple of small features to one of the lugs because it becomes interrupted by the new location. We are a 100% setup for both RH and LH receivers/bases.

Finally, it's off to the finishing dept for coating. (Armor Black C/K)

They come out looking really nice. They are in prep right now, soon as I have a finished on I'll post photos of it as well.

EDIT: Video's below more or less show the timeline/progression as it moves from start to finish.

This service will be in our store in the GS section.

Thanks for lookin! :)

View attachment 7196834

View attachment 7196835

View attachment 7196836

View attachment 7196837

View attachment 7196839

View attachment 7196840

Reactions: Average guy
    This looks awesome! Do you have any idea about the cost? And will it be available for international shipping? If restricted due to ITAR I have a company on my side of the pond that has ITAR papers in order :)