• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk13 Mod 5 Load Recommendations

BANMAN19

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2020
Hawaii
Good Evening Gents,

My complete Mk13 Mod 5 will be coming to me from Red Bull Armory with a couple months and want to get some load recommendations from you guys who have Mk13 Mod 5s. From what I know, Sig Elite Performance 190gr and 220 gr are good performers. Is this correct? Any other choices?

Like I said I haven’t gotten my Mk13. Mainly catered to guys who have mk13 mod 5 from Red Bull armory and have shot it.

Mk 13 mod 5 is the iteration, not that there is only 5 in the planet. That would be crazy since this is a military spec rifle. Contract lilja.

Mk 13 mod 5 is the iteration, not that there is only 5 in the planet. That would be crazy since this is a military spec rifle. Contract lilja.
The MK248 mod 1 reamer, used in the Mod 5s and Mod 7s, was designed for use w/the Sierra 220 SMK and also works very well w/ the 190 Matchking. I have used H1000 exclusively on mine using once-fired Federal FC brass (basically a little better than crap) and it still performs very well (.5 MOA on average w/me behind the gun and I'm an average shooter). The barrel itself is a stainless button-rifled, 4-groove, 10-twist (right hand) finished at 26.5 inches.

Red Bull Armory (Chris Higgins) would have likely used the Mk248 mod 1 reamer for your build but I'd confirm with him so you know for sure (if you haven't already).

The Mk248 mod 1 was designed to produce significantly higher pressures than the typical SAAMI commercial 300 win mag round/load (think the max spec was 78,000PSI). There's a white paper out on the net w/ detailed information but don't have the link handy atm...

220 smk: I started my development at 68g H1000 (using Fed215 primers) and worked up in .5 grain increments and ended up at 74.2g. I ended up at 75.6 w/the 190 SMK...OAL for both loads is ~3.500 or so (not sure of exact measurements offhand)....As always, start low and work up!

All that said, those Sierra bullets are yesterday's tech and Berger's 220 Hybrid is a much better bullet design than the 220 match king overall and is said to be easier to set up OAL-wise/Jump-wise in the MK 248 chamber using non-CIP length mags than the 215 or 230 (I was jumping nearly .150 w/the 215 Berger) but haven't gotten my hands on any yet so can't validate that statement.

Lol I'm well aware what it is. I've played with or shot every variant going back to the crane prototypes. The point was to find out the twist so you can use a modern bullet to take advantage of shortcomings of the 190 and 220 smk; which are old shitty designs. M248m1 was so hot it would blow out primers and pretty much wrecked the brass trying to wring more performance out of it.

Reactions: BANMAN19