• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors MK18 Suppressor

Joemannnnn

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Hey guys, I'm starting the paperwork process to convert my DD MK18 pistol to a sbr. I figured I should probably get the process started for a suppressor as well. I'm not too familiar with them, this would be my first suppressor.

It's main role would be sitting on the MK18. However I do have a grendel ar for hunting and a 6.5 bolt gun that I'd use on too if that made sense.

So my question to a degree is, what's the best suppressor for the MK18?

Also, is there one that may offer some flexibility and still get the job done?

TBAC was what I was researching prior for my 6.5s and I liked what I read about them, but never went for it. Anything from their lineup that would work?

Appreciate any recommendations and input.

Morning,

I own a SilencerCo Hybrid. It is fine for what it is--a multi-caliber can. That said, if I were in the market for a new can, I would not buy the hybrid again. I would probably go with something more caliber specific. A multi can is going to be on the big and heavy side.

Reactions: Joemannnnn
I did a lot of research trying to find a good can that can serve well in those roles.

I went with the rugged micro30 because of their lifetime no questions asked warranty, lower back pressure and the best at ear sound levels of the cans I have found in that 6.5ish length range besides an OSS which I just wasnt into.

Going to have to agree with the rugged micro 30 on this one, or the razor 7.62 if you don’t need the modularity and want to save a couple hundred bucks. Rugged cans are awesome for all around durability especially on an SBR, they also have a great mounting system for repeatable POI if you decide to throw it on a precision gun.

I haven’t gotten to see the new Dominus from TBAC but if it’s quality is anything like their ultra series I would imagine you couldn’t go wrong with that either.

If there is no budget restriction TBAC is the only answer to me. If you do have a budget in mind YHM is hard to argue with. Turbo K and Resonator k with whatever mounting system you prefer and run with it.

Honestly that is kind of where Im at right now. If budget allows TBAC. For everything else there is no reason for me to look anywhere except yhm. They’re so cheap and perform so well that i just couldn’t justify saying spend 3-500 more on any other brand except TBAC especially now that the dominus exist.

Currently i own a TBAC 30CB9, SiCo Omega, SiCo Hybrid, and have a turbo k and resonator k in jail.
F0ACF239-C36B-46CE-BDB5-DA1AE7BFBB31.jpeg

Last edited:
Handled the TBAC Dominus SR and CB at SHOT and asked my dealer to order one of each. I really only need the CB, but want both. I picked up a .22 TD today and have an Ultra 9 and 338 in jail.

if I were buying one .30 can today it would be the Dominus SR. i have another .30 can that is great but heavy.

Knowing what I know now I’d stick with TBAC and specifically the Dominus SR. I should have gone Rugged instead of my other heavy .30 cal can a couple years ago.

TBAC and Rugged offer excellent solutions. I don’t have a Rugged (should have bought one), but a good friend/dealer shoots the hell out of Rugged products.

Thank you everyone for the input. I literally re-ignited the search the other day when I posted this, funny to see TBAC had just come out with the Dominus. That certainly seems to be the winner for me. I do like the Rugged as well, and like that they are nearby in SC. But I think I'm going to try and find a Dominus first. Hopefully I can grab one when they hit the market

I almost pulled the trigger on a Surefire 7.62 Socom Mini2 yesterday for a 10.3" 5.56 build but I am finding it's not hearing safe. That got me wondering, is there any compact cans (sub 7") that are hearing safe on a supersonic 10.3" 5.56? Or close to hearing safe?

I almost pulled the trigger on a Surefire 7.62 Socom Mini2 yesterday for a 10.3" 5.56 build but I am finding it's not hearing safe. That gotme wondering, is there any compact cans (sub 7") that are hearing safe on a supersonic 10.3" 5.56? Or close to hearing safe?

From everything i've read you can get close to 140ish but hearing safe as in blackout numbers or something i'd feel comfortable shooting without earpro for extended periods of time? Nah i don't think so. You want a hearing safe 10.5~11.5" 5.56 it's going to require a pretty stout can to do so, even then you're fighting port noise as well. Either increase the length or diameter. I went 11.5" for reliability concerns and more rail space but the Turbo K gets a 11.5" close i'm not sure about a 10.5" Griffen Explorr 224 is probably a good one to look at.

Closest comparison i can find.

Reactions: vigildom7
I have a non-supressed 12.5" now but was looking to do a block1 w/o a KAC M4 can. I'd like to do a short 7.62 can with a good QD but I think I'm looking for a unicorn.....

Edit:
Holy shit, I had no idea the ear was 10dB higher than the muzzle.

Last edited:
I have a non-supressed 12.5" now but was looking to do a block1 w/o a KAC M4 can. I'd like to do a short 7.62 can with a good QD but I think I'm looking for a unicorn.....

Edit:
Holy shit, I had no idea the ear was 10dB higher than the muzzle.

Port noise man but yeah a decent 223 can would do well i'd just wear ear pro outside of like hunting or small strings of fire.

I'm waiting on my turbo K and resonator K. Turbo K should be here relatively soon if COVID19 if it doesn't take up the ATFs time. I have fired my 11.5" and a 10.3" i sold my to my uncle and holy God it is freaking loud. Buddy of mine finally got his Micro 30 in which is what i was originally shooting for and it basically sounded nearly unsuppressed kind of like how the sandman K seems to sound on short ARs.

While I have not shot an abundance of different cans what I have learned being on the hide for 10 years is that any supersonic AR is not hearing safe. This is especially true if one has the idea of shooting an AR suppressed without ear pro all the time such as range days, plinking, etc. The only caveat in my eye is a person grabbing a suppressed AR to use for personal defense which in that moment it's not logical to put on ear pro.

I do form 1 cans which give a person a lot of options and you can build a suppressor for very specific uses. This can mean building a can that has a larger diameter, more length and smaller diameter bore.

Like mentioned above and other threads I've posted in......after shooting a 5.56 pistol unsuppressed for just 3 shots one time I cleared it and was done. I was doubled up on ear pro but the experience was so obnoxious I would never shoot another unsuppressed AR pistol unless I needed to defend life and that was the only/best option.

Reactions: 5RWill
I should have known better. My AEM5 on a 16" isn't what I would consider hearing safe and it's wonderful can. It's not too bad for a few shots, but I still use roll in plugs.

I guess my alternative would be to swallow my pride and build a 300BO with Subs, but I have a deep dislike for the caliber. Maybe a .45 PCC instead..... problem is, neither are going to scratch my block1 itch.

For a mk18 you cant get much better then the tried and true Surefire and KAC cans. I'm sure the new TBAC offering is excellent also if its anything like all their other cans.

I also have the micro 30 from Rugged. Its noticeably louder on the 5.56 guns with more flash. And also much louder to me on 308 and mag rifles.

In the short config it does not perform as well as the dedicated mini cans. RC mini and KAC CQB are noticeably better in sound, and flash reduction. In the standard length config it still doesn't do as well as the Surefire, KAC, AAC, (TBAC on a bolt gun) etc. The rugged micro 30 is kind of a let down for me personally with all the other cans I already have. Maybe if I put together another 13.5 or 14.5 308 gas gun and want a "blast reducer" in the short config, it would work well. But it doesn't do anything better then the Surefires, KACs, TBAC, etc. I would rather have another m42000 on a mk18 then the rugged micro 30.

Last edited:
I almost pulled the trigger on a Surefire 7.62 Socom Mini2 yesterday for a 10.3" 5.56 build but I am finding it's not hearing safe. That got me wondering, is there any compact cans (sub 7") that are hearing safe on a supersonic 10.3" 5.56? Or close to hearing safe?

That's not hard to do really. Most of the 5.56 specific cans are below 7" mounted.

Saker 5.56. AAC 556SD. 7.62SD. I don't have one, but I'm sure that TBAC steel can will too. All are abuse type cans (that's what I call anything that has basically no restrictions on firing rate). I have an AAC 556SD on an 11.5 that I keep handy. It was a cheap can and the mounts usually suck balls but there's a trick (that doesn't involve work). Buy ten mounts, pick the best one, send the other 9 back. I know that sucks, but it's the best way to make an AAC can work right. IMO Saker is much better and you have options on the mounts --apparently they recommend the ASR now but I gotta admit I like the Trifecta better.

Not sure about TBAC Ultra5 in 5.56 but the 5" in .300BLK and I THINK 7.62 (don't quote me on that) is JUST at the hearing safe level. Remember that level is only for intermittent dB, sustained sound over time registers different on your hearing. IMO it still sounds a lot like a gunshot but it takes the bark out enough so it's not really a problem, especially for a social rifle. More a loud abrupt pop than a typical snap. At least for me.

Ultra 9 is by far the best. It adds 7-8" w/brake. Ultra 7 will be less than 7" installed. Nothing is lighter and there is no better constructed Ti can. That's their shit in spades.

IIRC, 5.56 is one of those oddball rounds like the .357 that's just louder than you'd think. But shaving several dB's off the blast sure helps and it doesn't take a long can to do it, though the longer ones do work better.

Don't know about the KAC 5.56 cans, but the 7.62 QDC is one of the best all around cans for the 7.62. It ain't cheap and others may disagree, but I have several of these fuckers and that one is the titties in more than one area.

There's a lot of good options really.

But for SBR use that's not a .300BLK (relatively low powder/blast per case, super or sub) I like something steel.

Oh, for budget you can't beat Elite Iron and they don't really belong last... They're not really a budget choice, just able to keep prices down by using 316SS (more than sufficient, trust me). Dale is a metallurgist IIRC and I have his BMG can and the fucker is a tank. Supposedly his 6.5G can is badass but I don't have one. He'll also index the can to the rifle if you go direct thread.

Here's some images of them installed so you get an idea of size mounted, I don't have 'em all pictured but these three get the idea across.

Saker (probably best all around for the price, lots of options, especially w/7.62 but I prefer caliber specific, they just work better).
IMG_0730.JPG

556SD (a beater that works).
IMG_1046.JPG

7.62 SDN6. (This one used to be the shit when it came out... Same mount issue but it works and it works well with .300BLK).
IMG_1045.JPG

TBAC .30Ultra5 (there's too much shit on this one to really see but the whole can is in the picture, basically weightless).
IMG_1040.JPG

For a mk18 you cant get much better then the tried and true Surefire and KAC cans. I'm sure the new TBAC offering is excellent also if its anything like all their other cans.

I also have the micro 30 from Rugged. Its noticeably louder on the 5.56 guns with more flash. And also much louder to me on 308 and mag rifles.

That’s the nature of 30 cal k cans on short 5.56. You won’t find one that sounds great. If you’re wanting shortest OAL with the best suppression you can get for said k can especially on 5.56 you’re gonna need a dedicated 5.56 can. Every 30 cal k can i have seen on 5.56 is hella loud. Which includes my buddies micro30 but watch a sandman k video or Vox K and it’s apparent they’re just loud.

I probably sound like a YHM fanboy at this point outside of my usual praise for TBAC but I’m not sure there is a better 5.56 k can on the market for than the Turbo k. Especially when price is considered. It meters incredibly well for something so small and the tone from every reviewer i have seen always seem so surprised at how quiet it sounds. NFA review channel, suppressed nation, the wound channel, etc. that can for $350 has some astounding reviews. It’s also so cheap that i picked up the resonator K for my 12.5” grendel, and will likely run it on my 7 SS during hunting season as well as the 16” 308.

Reactions: southerngolfer
That’s the nature of 30 cal k cans on short 5.56. You won’t find one that sounds great. If you’re wanting shortest OAL with the best suppression you can get for said k can especially on 5.56 you’re gonna need a dedicated 5.56 can. Every 30 cal k can i have seen on 5.56 is hella loud. Which includes my buddies micro30 but watch a sandman k video or Vox K and it’s apparent they’re just

I agree. That's why I have never recommended a "do all" suppressor. Get the can for the task at hand instead of trying to make one work for everything. If your funds allow of course.

There’s lots of great choices listed above. I wouldn’t discount anyone’s opinion or advice. As you research suppressors, you’ll find that no can does everything “best.” Each individual can has areas where it excels & where it fails to reach the levels of performance found in others. This is what we call a series of trade-offs.

A few years ago, I bought a Surefire SOCOM II 7.62 RC2 & performance has been great. I don’t regret it in the slightest as it was meant to be a “do it all” type can. I made a list of pros / cons & the RC2 met my established criteria best. I’ve shot to 1K+ w/ it & no accuracy issues at all. I’ve also beat the dog piss out of it mounted on an M4. It just keeps humming along. Some don’t care for the QD mount, but thus far mine has been flawless.

Make a list of your priorities & pick something. There really are no poor choices listed that I’ve seen. This isn’t the time to be cheap; this is an investment so choose wisely.

*I’ve shot the KAC cans a little & I’m really impressed by their products. The MAMS brake kicks ass by itself too.

Last edited:
I got YHM 5.56 can 10 years ago and it's still working great. The only thing i dislike it weight 20.4 oz. Im in the market to get short, less weight, work multiple guns. Dominus Sr is impressive weight around 12oz. Not a cheap Can but the wait is killing me. Ordered 338 ultra sr last june still waiting for the stamp. If the Dominus came out last year I would have bought it instead of the 338 sr. 338 sr is a bit over kills. Does anybody know if i place order Dominus sr right now what is the estimate to receive the serial number?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm starting the paperwork process to convert my DD MK18 pistol to a sbr. I figured I should probably get the process started for a suppressor as well. I'm not too familiar with them, this would be my first suppressor.

It's main role would be sitting on the MK18. However I do have a grendel ar for hunting and a 6.5 bolt gun that I'd use on too if that made sense.

So my question to a degree is, what's the best suppressor for the MK18?

Also, is there one that may offer some flexibility and still get the job done?

TBAC was what I was researching prior for my 6.5s and I liked what I read about them, but never went for it. Anything from their lineup that would work?

Appreciate any recommendations and input.
All good choices above, but please put them under a trust.

Port noise man but yeah a decent 223 can would do well i'd just wear ear pro outside of like hunting or small strings of fire.

I'm waiting on my turbo K and resonator K. Turbo K should be here relatively soon if COVID19 if it doesn't take up the ATFs time. I have fired my 11.5" and a 10.3" i sold my to my uncle and holy God it is freaking loud. Buddy of mine finally got his Micro 30 in which is what i was originally shooting for and it basically sounded nearly unsuppressed kind of like how the sandman K seems to sound on short ARs.

Did you get your Turbo K out of jail? If so, how's it working out for you? I'm in the same boat as OP.

Sorry to resurrect a dead post, but it pains me less than starting a redundant thread!

Did you get your Turbo K out of jail? If so, how's it working out for you? I'm in the same boat as OP.

Sorry to resurrect a dead post, but it pains me less than starting a redundant thread!
The new Otter Creek Labs Polonium 5.56 suppressor just beat everything on PEW Science's test list, and he tested it on a 10.3" MK18.

Oh, and the MSRP is only $550... Might be worth looking into... 😉 👍🏼

Reactions: slothlacrosse

I did. And truthfully i think if i had it to do over again I’d gotten another resonator k. Turbo k is a great can but i really don’t notice all that much difference between the two except that I’m limited to 5.56 with the turbo k. Resonator k also has more distance to the blast baffle so with griffin plan A you have more mounting options than plan A + turbo k. But yeah honestly i don’t notice much difference. Mostly these are k cans i use on short ARs so there isn’t much getting around it not being loud. I’d be interested to see if the T2 sounds a bit better.

I did. And truthfully i think if i had it to do over again I’d gotten another resonator k. Turbo k is a great can but i really don’t notice all that much difference between the two except that I’m limited to 5.56 with the turbo k. Resonator k also has more distance to the blast baffle so with griffin plan A you have more mounting options than plan A + turbo k. But yeah honestly i don’t notice much difference. Mostly these are k cans i use on short ARs so there isn’t much getting around it not being loud. I’d be interested to see if the T2 sounds a bit better.
The difference is .5". Have you tried the Plan A XL? That would move your MD back away.

The difference is .5". Have you tried the Plan A XL? That would move your MD back away.
That .5 allows me to use the flash comp on my 14.5” with the resonator k. I didn’t look at the XL because i don’t want to increase the OAL of the cans. I want them as short as possible. This is the result which I’m pleased with. But that’s sort of beyond the point the turbo k doesn’t really offer much over the resonator k outside of db readings and added back pressure. I can’t tell a difference between the two on my 11.5”
579149AD-2C69-4209-A67B-F14F7112E7BB.jpeg

Reactions: AMGtuned
9A284A93-3FB8-4BA5-A2B8-46C363526B3C.jpeg

DeadAir Sandman S 30 on my MK18. Excellent can. Also has caliber specific interchangeable end caps. I run it on 6.5 bolt guns and 300 winmags as well.

Reactions: atomic41
That .5 allows me to use the flash comp on my 14.5” with the resonator k. I didn’t look at the XL because i don’t want to increase the OAL of the cans. I want them as short as possible. This is the result which I’m pleased with. But that’s sort of beyond the point the turbo k doesn’t really offer much over the resonator k outside of db readings and added back pressure. I can’t tell a difference between the two on my 11.5”
View attachment 7874055

That rifle looks brand new, Will. You ever had it out of the house 😊

• Haha
That rifle looks brand new, Will. You ever had it out of the house 😊
Since it got back from pin and weld? Lol no. I finish dental school Friday and then got 5 more years minimum. So a lot of my stuff is is just sitting there looking good haha. Last i shot was probably December when i hunted. I will return eventually haha

Since it got back from pin and weld? Lol no. I finish dental school Friday and then got 5 more years minimum. So a lot of my stuff is is just sitting there looking good haha. Last i shot was probably December when i hunted. I will return eventually haha

Doesn’t eat while it sits. That can is super short. Makes the barrel look long.

As a comparison, this is a 7.62 RC2 on a 12.5”

9476246C-739C-4953-BEA5-61D8F50D12DA.jpeg

• Love
The new Otter Creek Labs Polonium 5.56 suppressor just beat everything on PEW Science's test list, and he tested it on a 10.3" MK18.

Oh, and the MSRP is only $550... Might be worth looking into... 😉 👍🏼

Oss quieter at the ear by a whopping 8 points with no blowback...:)

Which one?
He's talking about the OSS HX-QD 5.56 can. But he FAILED to mention where it lost by 10.1 points at the muzzle. 🤣

And also, you can run an H3 buffer, and an adjustable gas block, and bring that Polonium down to 10.1 points quieter at the muzzle, and probably equal to the OSS at the ear and in back pressure. Proper tuning of an AR gas system goes a LONG way with suppressors.

Reactions: AMGtuned
He's talking about the OSS HX-QD 5.56 can. But he FAILED to mention where it lost by 10.1 points at the muzzle. 🤣
Well, since you like to put your ear right next to the muzzle, I agree, oss hxqd is not a good choice for ya...I also agree that they are too expensive

Well, since you like to put your ear right next to the muzzle, I agree, oss hxqd is not a good choice for ya
Enjoy your fed-boy cans... I'll enjoy real suppression. An adjustable gas block and H2 or H3 buffer will bring that Polonium down to the OSS at the ear. And STILL be 10.1 points quieter at the muzzle.

Enjoy your fed-boy cans... I'll enjoy real suppression. An adjustable gas block and H2 or H3 buffer will bring that Polonium down to the OSS at the ear. And STILL be 10.1 points quieter at the muzzle.
Lol, ok Troy, calm down, I look forward to the science proving all that cope....will be interesting to see the entire industry shift away from low backpressure cans since you can just tune it away easy peasy

Lol, ok Troy, calm down, I look forward to the science proving all that cope....will be interesting to see the entire industry shift away from low backpressure cans since you can just tune it away easy peasy
I am calm. It can be tuned-out, for the most part. It’s impossible to tune it all out, since the gun functions off of gas. If the OSS cans were so good, why are their sales (outside of Fed contracts) not doing so hot? If they were so awesome, you’d see everyone running them. I’ve probably seen 1 OSS suppressor out in the wild. Once folks realized how loud and heavy they are, the novelty sort of dropped-off.

If you going MK 18. A surefire is in order.

I have the 300 SBS. And use it on my mk18 which was 300 blackout, my Grendel. My 6 creed. Up to my 6.5 PRC and 6.5 SAUM

Attachments

• 6F335CDB-4B09-4066-934A-7491BD5ED746.jpeg
    6F335CDB-4B09-4066-934A-7491BD5ED746.jpeg
    430.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 4F131CE8-4906-48EF-B418-FE99BD92F293.jpeg
    4F131CE8-4906-48EF-B418-FE99BD92F293.jpeg
    502.2 KB · Views: 3,602
  • 6F5A5717-488C-4102-9E6E-CBE2B1A365D3.png
    6F5A5717-488C-4102-9E6E-CBE2B1A365D3.png
    2 MB · Views: 2,234
I am calm. It can be tuned-out, for the most part. It’s impossible to tune it all out, since the gun functions off of gas. If the OSS cans were so good, why are their sales (outside of Fed contracts) not doing so hot? If they were so awesome, you’d see everyone running them. I’ve probably seen 1 OSS suppressor out in the wild. Once folks realized how loud and heavy they are, the novelty sort of dropped-off.
Hmm, add hominem, straw man, appeal to ignorance, bandwagon fallacy...so many logical fallacies, I’m not even upset, I’m impressed.

Hmm, add hominem, straw man, appeal to ignorance, bandwagon fallacy...so many logical fallacies, I’m not even upset, I’m impressed.
Keep getting mad because I’m telling the truth. 👍🏼

You’re the one who’s only posts have been about eForms, Pew Science numbers, and shilling for OSS, and claiming they’re the best thing ever made and how “nobody comes close”, and accusing the people who do come close to their ear and BP numbers of “possibly paying off PEW Science for the numbers, and still not beating the OSS”?. And you’re calling me out? This is laughable. 😂

21B0A8AB-FABE-4067-A543-53BC41FF5447.jpeg

Last edited:
Keep getting mad because I’m telling the truth. 👍🏼

You’re the one who’s only posts have been about eForms, Pew Science numbers, and shilling for OSS, and claiming they’re the best thing ever made and how “nobody comes close”, and accusing the people who do come close to their ear and BP numbers of “possibly paying off PEW Science for the numbers, and still not beating the OSS”?. And you’re calling me out? This is laughable. 😂

View attachment 7874423
Keep going, I think you can hit every logical fallacy in one post if you really try lol

With all due respect how would you have ANY idea what their sales numbers are, pure numbers country-wide or even vs. other cans? You seeing cans out in the wild is so anecdotal that I wouldn't say that out loud. How may places can you possibly be at the same time? Have you ever shot one? I run a 7.62Ti which is not large or heavy by any means. No, it isn't cheap but neither are a gaggle of other suppressors. Anything from TBAC comes to mind. Literally everyone who hears the 7.62Ti asks what it is whether it's suppressing .308, 300 BLK or 5.56, the three calibers I use with it. And zero tuning. Guns run can on or off.