• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK2 FV-SR warm up then preforms?

Loopm5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
USA
Curious cold rifle with a suppressor question. I am just getting into .22lr Trainer shooting and I went and bought the MK2 FV-SR with a threaded barrel. I put a 3x9 Red-field scope on it for now and made sure every thing was torqued. Zeroed for 50 yds I stared shooting the rifle with standard ammo from CCI. I would get a very tight group all day so I played around never removing the suppressor. I let the rifle sit for 3 hours came back placed 3 shots and they were way off. Then placed 10 more and they were perfect. Thinking this was a fluke tried it all week end and repeated this all weekend, let the rifle sit and get cool shoot 3 to 4 after 3 or 4 shots and the rifle starts to preform. I did this with and with out suppressor.The temps ranged from 48-64f this weekend. I understand this is not a 1000 dollar rifle just curious about what is causing this.

Re: MK2 FV-SR warm up then preforms?

Sorry for the lack of detailed info.

CCI Standard velocity 3 shots at 62f 6 inches off down to the left 2 inches from point of aim.

CCI the next 10 shots at 62f DEAD on.

3 hours later 64f rifle was sitting moderate sun light first 3 shots 6 to 7 inches off down to the right 3 inches next 6 shots DEAD on {NO suppressor} That was one test. Sorry it was early this morning didn't have time till now to detail more of the tests.
Most of the weekend test resulted in much of the same as above.
And I was not using the scope adjustments at all, I just zeroed at 50 and just practiced at 50yds. I understand that some rifles act different as they warm up or foul but this seem extreme especially for a .22 at 50yds. I don't get this much variation from my cold A5 or my A1 and as I said I am just getting started in shooting .22lr trainers. Possibly this is par for the course in these low budget rifles. I was just curious or if someone else ran into this I could see if there was a fix.

Sorry for the lack of a well put together question in regarding this problem. I will have to a complete restart to answer your questions about this rifle. But as far as the others The A5's are LANDTEC and the A1's are LANDTEC. I am aware of the mechanics of rifles just not so much of low budget box ones. So it look as if I will attack this issue as I do everything else completely rip this thing apart and take it to the meteorology lab and have it analyzed.
grin.gif
I understand the reasoning behind the questions you ask but I never took the time to gather that data but now I will. So untill later with better data. And a better question.

MECH, I think you are dead on with pulling it down and starting again. It is fairly common (even with $1,000 target rifles) to have cold bore shots have a different POI than after the bore is warmed up. What is unusual is that your cold bore shots are not in a consistant spot.

Example: My 40X shoots the first shot 1 Mil high but centered for windage. The second shot is .5 Mil high. The third and consequent shots are all at zero. I know where this will shoot so I am able to compensate. You aren't because you don't have any idea (besides low) it will go.

It actually sounds like a fun project for you!

If this is a brand new rifle, it may settle in after a few boxes of ammo is ran through. I have had new guns that needed no break in, and I have had some that I thought would never break in. I hope that is all you are dealing with! Are you cleaning the barrel everytime you shoot, or is this all with a dirty barrel? Some guns shoot off POI until the bore gets fouled and then they are dead on.