• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Understated_in_Accuracy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2014
Hello everyone, my question is how much MOA of elevation and windage is needed for adjustments at 1,760 yards or a mile considering the objective lens size and magnification of the scope. Thank you.

Exhale and pull the trigger...

The answer is dependent on the cartridge you are shooting and the atmospheric conditions during the shot. Would you like to give us an example to work out? Like 300 Lapua Magnum launching a 300 grain Berger VLD at 2800 fps? Shot taken at an altitude of 8000 feet with a temperature of 50 degrees F and Barometric Pressure of 31.0?

Caliber? Wind? Atmosphere? What bullet and how fast? There is no answer to your answer with the way you worded it. There is no set elevation adjustment for a mile.

Only 42? Would you mind explaining because I'm still learning with the number of clicks in total.

Exhale and pull the trigger...

And the caliber is .308 but I have not considered the grain total because I'm just trying to see if I can make the shot myself. I know it may be a waste of time and money but I would like to become skilled enough to do it. Any wind with the right scope hopefully.

Never tried my .308 further than 1000 yards.
Based on my reloads Shooter claims I need roughly 36.2 MILs

sent via Tapatalk

What zero? Can't say for sure but I don't think a 308 can get there. Depending on muzzle velocity and barrel length you will go subsonic at something less than 1100 yards.

Frank???

Understated, I don't think you have a proper understanding on bullet flight characteristics...

You have to understand, it's more than just the caliber of your bullet.

Here are some of the factors that will determine "how many clicks"

1. How fast is the bullet traveling? Two .308s going at different speeds are going to arrive at the end destination at different heights.

2. How heavy is the bullet? Speaking of gravity only, a 155
Grain "308" will travel a significantly different distance vs a 190gr "308".

3. There's no rough estimate or number anyone here can give you in clicks. What if someone's shooting from a hilltop vs flat terrain?

4. You need to give the forum your specifications. A 16.5" battle rifle and a 26" bench rifle both shooting 308, even if it's the exact same bullet, will differ .

For all intensive purposes, 308 and 556 have had documented hits at 1 mile. So yeah you can take your 308 to a mile. But see how little information this gives us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghengis, I understand that there are variables that come into play with more than just the caliber of a bullet when dealing with long range.

1.)I haven't done much homework on how fast a bullet travels so I can't be so sure that the bullets I have in mind will reach that far or not, effectively that is.

2.)Rainier barrel, 20 inches in length with a 1 and 10 twist, would suit a bullet with 200+ grains as a test.(I'm taking a guess)

3.)Depending on the scope, the adjusts needed to make any shot would change along with the terrain even when inclined or vis versa, that I understand, it's just going about doing it as I need more time on a range or hunting to gain more experience.

4.)I wouldn't know what category to put my rifle in besides being used for both tactical and hunting applications, a dpms sportical with a few modifications.

Shooting a Remington LTR (308), with a 168 g A max, 2620 FPS at the muzzle.
110' above sea level at 80* F, 112 MOA adjustment needed with a 100 Yard zero.
That is of course theoretical via a ballistic calculator as I have never shot this particular rifle past 100 yards.

With a 338LM 300 g SMK at 2791 MV, I took it to 1760 with 67.5 MOA of adjustment needed. Again 100 yard zero. App gave me 69 MOA and was slightly off.

Is this a real post/question?

Shooting a Remington LTR (308), with a 168 g A max, 2620 FPS at the muzzle.
110' above sea level at 80* F, 112 MOA adjustment needed with a 100 Yard zero.
That is of course theoretical via a ballistic calculator as I have never shot this particular rifle past 100 yards.

With a 338LM 300 g SMK at 2791 MV, I took it to 1760 with 67.5 MOA of adjustment needed. Again 100 yard zero. App gave me 69 MOA and was slightly off.

Is this a real post/question?

I think so.... Sadly....

Fuckit, just aim high and send it.

DOPE, external ballistics, atmospherics, etc are for pussies.

Last edited:
I didn't see this coming when I woke up. Thank you all for your advice and opinions, I wouldn't know what else to do besides getting a few hundred rounds and see for myself with certain scopes.

42 is correct.

At least, according to the great Douglas Adams loading guide, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

Other words of wisdom from that volume:
"Don't panic."
"(A)ny man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with."

Well, I hit a target with my old friends ar-30 at about a mile, 1,500 yards more or less, I did not time the shots taken but I hit a few mil dots low from center mass on the 3rd shot. The first two were below the target at different distances because the scope was not doped at that range.

Set the 308 bullet on your dash, haul ass straight to the target. When u get there jump out and throw the bullet. The amount of time that takes , times 42, divided by 42, give you the proper MOA. I think

Understated, don't worry about shooting at a mile. It seems like you have a lot of basics you need to pick up first.

There's no scope that's going to give you the elevation needed to make the shot you're asking for right now.

Start at 100'yard zero and then work your way up in 100 yard increments. Worry about making tight groups at each increment as you progress.

When you get to 1000 yards you'll figure out what you need to do from there.

Don't be ignorant and start at 1000 or a mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice and I don't understand how shooting at 1000+ yards from the beginning is considered ignorant because of the groupings that are between(correct me if I'm wrong) 1-2 MOA meaning within 10 inches to 20 inches at 1000 if MOA is 1 inch at 100 yards. I apologize if I'm wrong about that. I've been shooting a few friends rifles for a few months now and I'm working on getting my own.

175's point is there is a lot less variables at 100 or 200 yds than 1000 yds. With that being said it is far more difficult to shoot sub moa at 1000 yds than 100 yds because of the added variables( wind,mirage, wind,wind, and wind)

Quoted from Understated_in_Accuracy, emphases mine:

… how much MOA of elevation and windage is needed for adjustments at 1,760 yards or a mile considering the objective lens size and magnification of the scope.

Depending on the scope, the adjusts needed to make any shot would change along with the terrain…

I wouldn't know what else to do besides getting a few hundred rounds and see for myself with certain scopes.

Understated_in_Accuracy, it seems to me that your understanding of scopes and your understanding of ballistics (trajectory etc.) is confused to the point that you erroneously think that one affects the other.

The angle of elevation required is not contingent on the type of scope you use. It is a function of the trajectory of the bullet. Whether or not your scope will be capable of meeting that requirement is another matter. Also, the angle can be measured in Mrads or in Moa, but regardless of what units of measure you choose to use (based on your scope), the actual angle remains the same. In your opening post you mentioned Moa, in a later one you mentioned mildots. Both do the same job, yet I'm unsure that you appreciate the difference between the two.

I have a suspicion that you may have been using a second focal plane scope, with a Mil based reticle and Moa based turrets. You need to understand the vagaries of these variables and how they interact.

Of course, my assumptions may be completely Fubar. In which case you can plant your virtual size 10 up my virtual pooper.

Last edited:
Never tried my .308 further than 1000 yards.
Based on my reloads Shooter claims I need roughly 36.2 MILs

sent via Tapatalk

my 308 only takes 10 mils to 1000 34 moa

never mind you are saying 36.2 mils to 1760.

my 300wm with 208 a max will not even do 1760 at 4000 feet

Last edited:
Not to everything... read the book again ;)

Understated: Perhaps it is best to start at short range and see what the bullet does and read up on the subject. It sounds like you're trying to run before you can even crawl.

trying to copy this for you in middle Georgia. 308 168 grain SMK at 2600fps, with 100 yard zero, Barometric Pressure of 29.53, at 70 degrees with 78% humidity and at 951 feet above sea level......

You would need 138.1 MOA correction.

Oh and your velocity would be approximately 801.6fps with 239.7 Ft/lbs of energy and you will be subsonic at 961 yards

Last edited:
You could almost headbutt it back ;)

Not to piss on anyone's parade, but the 168 is pretty much a flying brick, you could not choose a less effective bullet in the HPBT family besides maybe the 135SMK. Compounded by the low muzzle velocity and most likely not enough elevation or hold-off to get on the target reliably, it'll be a crap game if you can hit any target out there. The 308 is more than capable to reliably reach the mile, but not with this combination. I would really look at building a more suited round for your 308 rifle, otherwise you are really throwing away money trying to hit that target. Think of 210SMK, 208Amax, 210VLD, 215 Hybrid etc, or even the 185 class of bullets.

Well, I hit a target with my old friends ar-30 at about a mile, 1,500 yards more or less, I did not time the shots taken but I hit a few mil dots low from center mass on the 3rd shot. The first two were below the target at different distances because the scope was not doped at that range.

I hit a few mil dots low from center mass on the 3rd shot.

How big was the target you were shooting at.

The reason I ask is you said you were a few mil dots low from center. 1 mil at 1500 yards would put you 54" low. "A few" being 3 or more would put you at 162" or more from center. I would hardly consider that a "hit".

20 inches by 20 inches, i call a hit when I ran out there to see where the bullet impact was, barely above ground, probably an few inches from it? Sorry if I'm being clueless, woke up with a headache.