• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you need to convert MOA to metric, my canadian friend taught me this trick: double it and add 30. If something is 10 MOA, just do the math: 10 + 10 = 20 + 30 = 50. So you would need 50 metrics for a 10 MOA shot.

It works for everything. For instance, if you go to the liquor store and pick up a 6 pack, just run the formula: 6+6=12+30=42. You just bought 42 metric beers.

Hope this helps.

I just learned something new, I'm sick of judgemental people pressuring me on a damn scope, target, and distance...
There are plenty of threads that continue with logical and mature conversation, so you need to ask yourself why yours turn out so bad.

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

Let it be a lesson to you. If you wish to participate in conversation with those who do know a thing or two, you have to be willing to listen and not claim and fight for things which you have no knowledge of. If you fail to make that connection, then any future threads you decide to start will only turn into a giant crap-fest just like the rest of your threads.

There are plenty of threads that continue with logical and mature conversation, so you need to ask yourself why yours turn out so bad.

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

Let it be a lesson to you. If you wish to participate in conversation with those who do know a thing or two, you have to be willing to listen and not claim and fight for things which you have no knowledge of. If you fail to make that connection, then any future threads you decide to start will only turn into a giant crap-fest just like the rest of your threads.
Mature huh. [emoji106]

See the thing is most people on this site are ball busters to say the least. Yet they are also willing to help someone learn I've gotten some of the best advice on shooting from this page. I do not post here often but from the outside looking in it seems like many people were here to help you get basic fundamentals down and starting at a reasonable distance. Yet you want to be a super sniper and only want to shoot at 1500 yards with out the slightest clue on shooting at 100yards even. While I leave out my opinion on weather or not you hit a target at said distance its become apparent that you are not looking for help on how to actually shoot better seems like you wanted to join a sniper forum and tell all the other snipers how good you were.

Now I may be off base here but even if you said hey guys shot at 500 yards and hit the 20x20 target and man do I enjoy this shit and want to learn more about shooting at distance I dont think anyone would have said one negative thing. the issue is you are claiming to do something which is EXTREMELY hard to do even for experienced shooters. And even you can admit there are some fishy details to the story.

Even if you came out and said OK it was not as far as I thought you'd be cut some slack and the ability to redeem your self would increase.But you continue to be a dbag about the whole thing and because you claim to of made one lucky shot one time you are not above the advice from others about getting good at 100-500 and slowly getting better. Do you want to learn or do you want to continue to be delusional ?

Talk less listen more and your shooting skills may actually benefit.

Did the box look like this?

Or did it look like this?

The second one but it was not a mil dot scope(I guess I look through those too much, idk). I'm not trying to sound like a dbag. [emoji17] I know I said I aimed at the top of the box but i think that was the slash markings or lines on the reticle.

Last edited:
If you need to convert MOA to metric, my canadian friend taught me this trick: double it and add 30. If something is 10 MOA, just do the math: 10 + 10 = 20 + 30 = 50. So you would need 50 metrics for a 10 MOA shot.

It works for everything. For instance, if you go to the liquor store and pick up a 6 pack, just run the formula: 6+6=12+30=42. You just bought 42 metric beers.

Hope this helps.

God I love this place....... I am now going to start drinking in metric beers that way no one can ever out drink me. :) I love metrics. I am now trading in my jelly bean and jelly bean turret and reticle scope for a metrics and metrics.

Seeing as though this thread can not get anymore off topic, has anyone of you ordered anything from budsgunshop before?

Thanks, putting an ar-15 on layaway, and I will have to save up for that 338 upper.

I'm assuming your buddy didn't charge you for his ammo. Factory .338 ammo is $5-8 every time you pull the trigger. If you are new to shooting, .338 is NOT the way to go....at all.

This isn't a snart-assed answer, but an honest one...if you have to buy your AR on layaway, you're going to have a hard time affording feeding a .338. It's like buying a nice house, but not being able to buy furniture to put in it and sleeping on the floor and sitting on milk crates.

Last edited:
The second one but it was not a mil dot scope(I guess I look through those too much, idk). I'm not trying to sound like a dbag. [emoji17] I know I said I aimed at the top of the box but i think that was the slash markings or lines on the reticle.
Thank you Understated! That was the first post that I've seen that has a reply without a negative retort or comment. Were only asking that you limited the retorts as they make people unhappy.

So the reticle looked like this (picture not to scale and just hand drawn though):
enamabuz.jpg

Thank you Understated! That was the first post that I've seen that has a reply without a negative retort or comment. Were only asking that you limited the retorts as they make people unhappy.

So the reticle looked like this (picture not to scale and just hand drawn though):
enamabuz.jpg
Yes.

No but a guy I work with said that his FFL gave him the same price match and told him that it was at cost so now he thinks buds sells at cost to everybody. :)
Some of their prices are pretty low, I saw a case on amazon and they were selling the exact same case for 60% off, that's a deal [emoji2]

You had to perform a holdover in the reticle (I.e. aiming with a portion of the reticle below the main cross hair.). This would mean that your dialed solution on the elevation turret was about 2mil off and you adjusted with a "holdover". Does that sound accurate?
That's accurate, though I am confused alittle.

Last edited:
That's accurate, though I am confused alittle.
So the very first shot the crosshair looks normal (center of target on center of crosshaor). Then you either fired second shot same way or adjusted using holdover. Ditto for the third shot. Does that cover the sequence of shots and your cross hair alignment?

So the very first shot the crosshair looks normal (center of target on center of crosshaor). Then you either fired second shot same way or adjusted using holdover. Ditto for the third shot. Does that cover the sequence of shots and your cross hair alignment?
Yes. That's why I missed the first two.

My wife hit the x-ring on an NRA F/TR target her first shot on record. First time she ever shot at 600 yards too. She didn't know anything about long range shooting and I knew just enough to get the gun set-up so all she had to do was pull the trigger without flinching in expectation of the recoil. X ring was 3" diameter. Could a newb hit a 20"x20" target at 1500 on his third shot? Sure, provided his friend who owned the gun knew what he was doing. Either that or go through a box of ammo walking it in to the target. Anyone is capable of pulling the trigger once the scope is doped correctly. Ask any proud father of a four year old who just plinked a can off the top of a post with a .22.

My wife hit the x-ring on an NRA F/TR target her first shot on record. First time she ever shot at 600 yards too. She didn't know anything about long range shooting and I knew just enough to get the gun set-up so all she had to do was pull the trigger without flinching in expectation of the recoil. X ring was 3" diameter. Could a newb hit a 20"x20" target at 1500 on his third shot? Sure, provided his friend who owned the gun knew what he was doing. Either that or go through a box of ammo walking it in to the target. Anyone is capable of pulling the trigger once the scope is doped correctly. Ask any proud father of a four year old who just plinked a can off the top of a post with a .22.
But the thing about that is, my friend didn't do anything, he just left me with the rifle and I doped the scope myself, it was already zoomed in, I just turned the elevation turret. And finally you guys believe me [emoji2] but I'm still going to take that shot again.

Last edited:
I didn't, first time I used a vortex scope. I turned it after every shot and guessed where the bullet would go before I pulled the trigger again.

So your first shot was a cold bore test shot. Second was the result of a guesstimated elevation turret adjustment based on where you saw your first shot impact. Third was a hit after another guesstimated elevation adjustment. At 1500 yards with a .308. Damn...you go girl! Took me 22 rounds to get on paper at 1000 my first time with my .308 (and I had my ballistics tables all drawn up in advance). Granted I was using 168 Federal Gold Medal like an ass and my spotter couldn't see impact and had a hard time seeing trace.

So your first shot was a cold bore test shot. Second was the result of a guesstimated elevation turret adjustment based on where you saw your first shot impact. Third was a hit after another guesstimated elevation adjustment. At 1500 yards with a .308. Damn...you go girl! Took me 22 rounds to get on paper at 1000 my first time with my .308 (and I had my ballistics tables all drawn up in advance). Granted I was using 168 Federal Gold Medal like an ass and my spotter couldn't see impact and had a hard time seeing trace.
That was a .338 at 1500 yards [emoji52] and what's the recoil of an ar-15 like with a muzzle break? well it wouldnt be an ar-15 with a 338 upper? Would it?

Last edited:
No your full of bs and confused, not because. :)

Your young and have a lot to learn. By the way where is your dad? He should be teaching you how to do this the right way. Keep trying and you will learn, never quit, always listen more than you talk.
Don't bring up the subject on family, like I said before, I will take the shot again to prove that I am not full of bs, and I really wouldn't call anything that's being shot less than 1,000 yards, learning [emoji41] lol just kidding, I will try to shoot at shorter ranges to keep up with everyone. Thank you all for your advice and opinions.

Last edited:
I will try to shoot at shorter ranges to keep up with everyone. Thank you all for your advice and opinions.

That's the way... Its much better to Stay positive and take the concepts and advise graciously. If you keep learning, you will be able to understand the math and concepts to predict a shot at 600-1300 yards with only one or two shots. Read an intro book long range shooting like those by "Shooters Bible" by Wayne Van Zwoll or "Shooters Guide to Rifle Marksmanship" by Peter Lessler, etc.

Looking forward to hearing your progressing and having fun shooting. BTW, you will learn much more with a modest caliber than with a beast like the 338... It's too hard to differentiate between variables with ultra high power rifles at extended long ranges (not to mention WAAAYYY more expensive.)

Have fun!

That's the way... Its much better to Stay positive and take the concepts and advise graciously. If you keep learning, you will be able to understand the math and concepts to predict a shot at 600-1300 yards with only one or two shots. Read an intro book long range shooting like those by "Shooters Bible" by Wayne Van Zwoll or "Shooters Guide to Rifle Marksmanship" by Peter Lessler, etc.

Looking forward to hearing your progressing and having fun shooting. BTW, you will learn much more with a modest caliber than with a beast like the 338... It's too hard to differentiate between variables with ultra high power rifles at extended long ranges (not to mention WAAAYYY more expensive.)

Have fun!
Expensive is right [emoji50] seeing the prices for ammo makes my laugh.

And as you find yourself getting more and more into this sport you just may find yourself reloading your own ammo. Just another realm to further your knowledge.
Is it possible to get api, incens, tracers in .338 or any other caliber an ar-15 can be converted to if I reload or rather start to?

MOA

See.... Fuckin troll....

His next post will be in the reloading section and how he eyeballed 15 nano thousandths off the lands to achieve a 1:7.75 turn with a 1:12 barrel.

Last edited:
I know about the twist rates in a barrel but, ghengis, I don't have a clue about what the other stuff is. And I don't see a problem in using different ammunition.