• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Model 1917

toblak

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2011
Boise, ID, USA
I have inherited a Model 1917, manufactured by Winchester, serial number in the 9000's, that used to belong to my grandfather. In the 50's he had gun sporterized, it has a 26 inch bull barrel chambered in .25-06. The barrel is 1.25 inches in diameter at the receiver and .88 inches in diameter at the muzzle. The bolt, action and barrel seem to be in very good condition. The stock, however, has several large cracks in it and the wood in the fore-end is very thin, probably because of the diameter of the barrel. I'm very concerned about the stock's structural strength and have yet to shoot it.

I am looking for some suggestions for a replacement stock.

I don't plan on hunting with the gun, and would like to get a stock that is similar to a McMillan A5, the gun is only going to "see action" at the local range. The only option I've been able to find is this... Prone / Culbertson Style

My father has told me stories about my grandfather spending hours reloading for this rifle and his "little red book" where he kept track of cases, powders, primers and the accuracy each combination would produce. No one in the family seems to know what happened to my grandfather's databook, but I started reloading last summer and I would really like to come up with my own load for "his" rifle.

Any suggestions for a replacement stock, that can "handle" the bull barrel, would be greatly appreciated.

I have inherited a Model 1917, manufactured by Winchester, serial number in the 9000's, that used to belong to my grandfather. In the 50's he had gun sporterized, it has a 26 inch bull barrel chambered in .25-06. The barrel is 1.25 inches in diameter at the receiver and .88 inches in diameter at the muzzle. The bolt, action and barrel seem to be in very good condition. The stock, however, has several large cracks in it and the wood in the fore-end is very thin, probably because of the diameter of the barrel. I'm very concerned about the stock's structural strength and have yet to shoot it.

I am looking for some suggestions for a replacement stock.

I don't plan on hunting with the gun, and would like to get a stock that is similar to a McMillan A5, the gun is only going to "see action" at the local range. The only option I've been able to find is this... Prone / Culbertson Style

My father has told me stories about my grandfather spending hours reloading for this rifle and his "little red book" where he kept track of cases, powders, primers and the accuracy each combination would produce. No one in the family seems to know what happened to my grandfather's databook, but I started reloading last summer and I would really like to come up with my own load for "his" rifle.

Any suggestions for a replacement stock, that can "handle" the bull barrel, would be greatly appreciated.

Any pics of the rifle as it sits now?

I don't know which features of the A5 are the ones that interest you, but I do know that Bell and Carlson, at least at one point, offered a stock for this rifle, and that Boyds makes stocks for it. I only see 'standard' style stocks listed for it, but my guess would be that if they can inlet a 'standard' stock for the action, they should be able to inlet one of their other styles for it.