• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Model 7 vs Model 700

Re: Model 7 vs Model 700

Step #1. Learn to use the search function.

#2. Complete your profile.

#3. Read the Things not to ask on Snipershide thread.

You can start with either action. The 7 will be fine for a light hunting rifle but there are very few aftermarket parts to build a "tactical" rifle from the model 7. Buy a 700.

Thanks frog5215 I had not looked into starting off with a new rifle. I was stuck on looking for used. But that is a great price.

Would not build on M7 for reasons stated above. The tenon on a model 7 is shorter and the action will not fit a 700 stock.
The M7 makes a damn fine light weight hunting rifle though.

I have both and the mod 7 is a dedicated hunter while the 700 is a semi custom job (barrel and action stock, all else modded). I searched and searched for parts to make ny build on the 7 but was unsuccesful.

I just purchased the Stevens 200 at my local Academy for 275.00 after sales tax (10% damn!!). Barrel kit for ~$250. The Savage has plenty of options that an adventurous person can do themselves and not have to pay for labor. My smith wants $700 and four months just to swap the barrel and headspace my 700!!

Good luck,
tater

I built a very nice match rifle using a Remington XP 100 action Mcmillan stock and Schneider m 40 contour barrel the tenon and headspace was the same and I used the rifle to win several 300 meter matches. The only thing I could not overcome yet is the feeding of the rifle which I feed manually due to the cartridge length, I will try to post a picture later.

I recently purchased a new old stock 673 Guide Rifle in .308. It is a M7 with M600-style features from the 1960's, but updated. I found the selection of mounts very thin compared to the 700. Most available were the turn-in style. I went with Weaver bases and Burris Zee rings. The rear bridge on the M7 action is very narrow, compared to the 700. The two screws on the rear base almost touch each other.

Point...the mounting options alone would rule out the M7 for any kind of "build", other than a hunter. A noob is just buying a headache if he chooses that as his base rifle. My .02.

AG

Here is a picture of the rifle I built using XP-100 action, as mentioned I have no problem wining competition using it. I built the scope mount my self using an iron bar and a CNC machine
let me know what you think?
1rem7.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gol1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a picture of the rifle I built using XP-100 action, as mentioned I have no problem wining competition using it. I built the scope mount my self using an iron bar and a CNC machine
let me know what you think?
1rem7.jpg

</div></div>

nice....