• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Model 70 Builds?

INgunner54

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
I've always liked Winchester rifles. Was just curious as to why you don't see any long range rigs built off the m70 action. Only thing that comes to mind are the FN SPR rifles. Obviously there is a ton more aftermarket support for the 700 actions, but I would still think there would be a few Winchester fans out there that would build off that action. Is it not a good platform to build from or other reason I'm overlooking? Also if anyone does have an M70 build please feel free to post some pictures!

I had mine out today. GAP built 308 on an FN SPR.

Attachments

• photo47677.jpg
    photo47677.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 456
  • photo52098.jpg
    photo52098.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 417
Looks very nice , what bottom metal did you use on your GAP FN SPR ? and did you have them modify the feed ramp for longer coal loads ?
Thanks

I have a FN SPR, and love it. You gotta love a McMillian stock and chrome lined barrel that shoots sub moa. That gun is a lifer !

My top top hunting rig started as a Win 70 SS featherweight 30-06 that shot basketball sized groups. But the action now enjoys a Kreiger barrel and mcMillian stock. and year in, year out it shoots like a laser. It's a 300 WM now and my gunsmith prefers them to Remmys. He thinks they are more robust.

I have a few Remmy builds too , I have no strong preference either way. But they are good to go if you want to upgrade your rig.

PB

My main hunting rig is built on a push feed M70 action. I got there totally backwards from the normal direction, but I still love it. I purchased a box of stocks at an estate sale. Most were for Remington, one Ruger, and this Winchester takeoff from a heavy barrel tactical rifle. I tried to sell it, but nobody wanted it, so I found a donor rifle and had a barrel installed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I use one. M70 push feed in 7mm Rem Mag, Black Hole Weaponry 24" 10-twist heavy barrel. Built specifically to launch 150-168gn pills from a bench or prone to 1300m. Wears a Choate varmint stock (chosen for it's heavy weight) and a SWFA 16x42SS optic (because I won't have the 2 grand for a good scope for it till mid-summer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r9vK9OySYg

Attachments

• photo52208.jpg
    photo52208.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 214
My main comp gun is a spr in 260ai. I have 2 300wsm on push feed actions and a 22-250ai for my oldest boys comp gun. He's 10. My main hunting gun is a 308 stainless 70crf in a supergrade stock and my backup is a Montana 1999 in 358win. I like my 70s!

I have one in a McMillan A5 with CDI bottom metal in .308. In fact, it's my main bolt gun and will probably wear a 6.5-06 barrel of some sort in the next 12 months.

This is built off of a "Classic" Model 70 Stainless. 6.5x55 Swede Improved. Aside from the comparatively low aftermarket support when compared to 700s and clones, they're tough to beat in my opinion.

Very Nice! Who is a good smith for the Winchesters? I might have to start gathering some parts for a build.

I'd like some more details on this barrel block setup.

Young’s Gunsmithing in Sand Coulee, Montana builds them. He's a very good Winchester Smith. He can use about any A-series McMillan stock, most of the Manners stocks or anything else that has a decent sized fore end. About any action too. This is his “medium block”. The block measures about 5.5” long. He’s also got a 4.5” “light block” for use with off-the-shelf MTU, HV, M24 contours, etc., and “heavy block” that is about 7.5” long for very long heavy barrels. He mills threaded columns and secures them into the stock for the DBM so that the action remains completely free-floated. This stock was actually inletted for a SA rem 700. He just removed material to fit the long model 70 into it.

This rifle weighs 13.6# as pictured. The block is aluminum and the barrel shank is machined to fit within the block so there is really no weight that has been added to the rifle. The barrel is a custom contour which is essentially a Sendero with an extra-long shank. I am sold on this setup. I’ve never shot anything that is so consistent. I don’t even get a POI shift when hanging a suppressor on it.

Last edited:
Mr. Young does indeed do great work! I now have to wipe the drool off my chin, that Swede is a thing of beauty! David built a 300-7SAUM on an SPR for me several years ago. The man definitely speaks Winchester/ FN.

I have a pre 64 being chamberd in 280 AI at Spartan right now. Can't wait...

Reactions: Slowroll
My 2 FNH PBR and SPR one in 6.5creed the other 308win

Attachments

• photo52772.jpg
    photo52772.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 146
Most smiths can't true up a m70. The Remington 700 seems to be the easier to chuck into a lathe. Comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not any more hassle to dial in a M70 or Howa action in a Gre-Tan type truing fixture than any cylindrical action. You just have to center them up taking the flats into account, then proceed like it was any other action.

I know this isn't the "vintage" sub forum but I thought you guys might appreciate it anyways.

Here's my 1946 Winchester Model 70 Hathcock tribute rifle, chambered in 30-Gov't-06 of course ;)

I am always on the lookout for for more model 70 actions for future projects. I just picked up a new barrel for this one that matches the original "heavy" contour, just need to get it to the smith.

I know this isn't the "vintage" sub forum but I thought you guys might appreciate it anyways.

Here's my 1946 Winchester Model 70 Hathcock tribute rifle, chambered in 30-Gov't-06 of course ;)

I am always on the lookout for for more model 70 actions for future projects. I just picked up a new barrel for this one that matches the original "heavy" contour, just need to get it to the smith.

Beautiful rifle!

I've got a Model 70 _ 30-06 with the composite stock. I've had it since I was a kid and I'd love to use the action but I need a left handed version and this is a standard right handed. I'd probably do a .308 so it may not even be worth doing and just go from scratch but I wonder if I could find someone who want to trade for a lefty Model 70??? Y'all think that's possible to find? I'd probably just put a new barrel on the action and put it on a chassis, and have my Smith true it up and all. Any thoughts on this?

I'd appreciate any advice on this. I have a chassis that I'm buying from a really nice guy I met recently at my buddies shop. I just like the Win M70 better than the Rem700.

Had Randy Selby put a 6.5x55 barrel on my left hand action and put it in a McM stock after truing up the action. Pretty sweet rig.