• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Model 70 Pre64 Target rebuild underway

Frank Green

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2006
wisconsin
www.bartleinbarrels.com
Got the barreled action back from Moon at Crescent Customs. By chance and stroke of luck got the semi inletted new replacement stock from Wyoming Armory a day later! Gotta do the scope block/sights install. Get the stock work done and get the barreled action reblued. Still .30-06 but the barrel has 5R rifling and 1-11.25 twist. The contour of the barrel replicates the Pre64 Target contour and is 24" finish length. Duplicated the crown etc...here are some pics. Now just gotta find a 1 1/4" Unertl target in 8x scope!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Sweet, Carlos Hathcock tribute?

A little bit of both. The rebuild of the rifle as the original barrel was junk/shot out. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to shoot. It would shoot the first 5 rounds into about a 3/4moa group but then the next groups would be as big as 2moa. Tried recrowning the muzzle as that looked questionable, lappigng the bore you name it. Stock was bedded as well.

The original stock when I got it had the recoil pad on it and was shortened when the pad was installed so the length was the same. So I got a new stock so I can put the original steel butt plate back on it and make it look correct again.

Would like to use it in the vintage type sniper rifle matches etc....kind of the way Hathcock would've had one.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Going for an original Unertl or a replica? If you do go original, are you going to try to find an actual USMC 8x?

P.S. Assuming I don't get outbid, I might end up needing to follow the same path you did. Not sure where I'm going to get the money though.

Going for an original Unertl or a replica? If you do go original, are you going to try to find an actual USMC 8x?

P.S. Assuming I don't get outbid, I might end up needing to follow the same path you did. Not sure where I'm going to get the money though.

If I had an original USMC I would look for a USMC marked Unertl but for the price they are going for I'm just looking for a standard 8x Unertl. Cannot justify the cost for a shooter!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

It looks like you are on the road to having a really nice rifle. I agree, if you just want a shooter a USMC 8X vs a commercial, the difference is no were near the cost difference.

That is a nice looking target stock. Apparently Carlos primarily used the sporter stock in Nam. My original stock looks about like the one you acquried so you you got a nice likeness.

Mine is in 308, it was an AMU rifle I got from the CMP Auction Site:

DSCN0101.JPG

That is looking good.

I have my stock (still needs some work), a Pre-War Model 70 action, and an XXXXX barrel blank (1-10) on hand but need to decide on a builder for the metal work.

What did you decide on for the trigger? Tune the M70 trigger or put something else in it?

I miss the old Model 70.......every time I pick one up, it's like shaking hands with an old friend.

Kraig has the right idea, put the iron sights on it!

But you are doing the right thing by getting the scope blocks on it so that it will be ready when you finally locate that scope---and good luck with that! They seem to be expensive.......maybe if you build vintage scopes in addition to barrels.

Last edited:
That is looking good.

I have my stock (still needs some work), a Pre-War Model 70 action, and an XXXXX barrel blank (1-10) on hand but need to decide on a builder for the metal work.

What did you decide on for the trigger? Tune the M70 trigger or put something else in it?

I miss the old Model 70.......every time I pick one up, it's like shaking hands with an old friend.

Kraig has the right idea, put the iron sights on it!

But you are doing the right thing by getting the scope blocks on it so that it will be ready when you finally locate that scope---and good luck with that! They seem to be expensive.......maybe if you build vintage scopes in addition to barrels.

Just gonna tune the original trigger. Actually it's pretty nice right now. I'll have the iron sight blocks on it as well. Thought about doing scopes! Don't go there! LoL!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Do you know the dimensions of the original barrel? Is it a Douglas?

Also, do you know the dimensions the original M70 "Bull gun" barrels? I think they pretty closely match a Heavy Varmint BR contour??

Do you know the dimensions of the original barrel? Is it a Douglas?

Also, do you know the dimensions the original M70 "Bull gun" barrels? I think they pretty closely match a Heavy Varmint BR contour??

Gotta be careful when you say Heavy Varmint BR contours. The Win. isn't even close. Most light guns are running a 1.200" at the breech end and .900" muzzles. Breech lengths vary from 2" to 5". Depends on what the guy needs to make weight. Most LV barrels are finishing 21"-22". The Heavy Varmint guns are running 1.250" breech ends and most muzzles are around .935" or so. Again breech lengths vary to make weight. Most guys are running a 24" barrels give or take some. This is for short range bench guns. 600 yard and 1000 yard bench guns most barrels are 28" finish length or even 30". Most are contours like our standard HV. 1.250" x 5.000" str. taper to .900" @ the muzzle.

I'd consider the Win. Pre64 target contour a light target contour barrel by today's standards.

The blued barrel is the original pre64 M70 target barrel. 1.140" x 2.000" str. taper to .780" @ 24". If I remember correctly the bull guns were the same basic contour but .780 @ 28".

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Last edited: