• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modern day Welrod - the B&T VP9!

USMCSGT0331

🔫
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    www.snipershide.com
    The Welrod pistol is one of those magnificent, elusive bastards that everyone wants, but don't appear to exist on the collector market. There's been discussions about them on this forum and none have turned up in any of our collections, which is rather surprising because the people who frequent the Vintage Section can usually find anything! I have no idea if there's any in collector's hands or if they're all relegated to random museums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welrod

Welrod_Mk_I_%286825681998%29.jpg

Even though we can't get an original Welrod, last year B&T helped scratch that itch when they released their VP9 pistol (not to be confused with the HK VP9). The VP9 stands for "Veterinary Pistol 9mm", and was marketed by B&T as a way to humanely dispatch wounded animals or whatever. But we all know this pistols lineage and it had nothing to do with veterinary purposes.

BT_VP9_04.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

A few years ago B&T was tasked by a government agency to make 25 ultra quiet pistols. They looked back at historical records and decided not to reinvent the wheel, but to improve upon an existing design and make a modern version of the Welrod. This pistol was extremely successful, so B&T decided to bring to to market. They were supposed to make 250 of these new VP9 kits, but there might be less than that released.

The VP9 pistol itself features a barrel that has holes in it to bleed off gas, which turns any 9mm round subsonic. The magazine is also the grip and the pistol can still fire without it in place (with a cartridge chambered), which adds to it's concealability. This is also a 2 stamp gun, since 2 silencers are included in the kit. One silencer has the wipes, which makes it amazingly quiet, the other has baffles and functions like other "normal" silencers.

Even though the B&T VP9 is sold out, the company is going to be releasing the Station 6 pistol soon. It's similar to the VP9, but will come with only 1 silencer, there's no holes in the barrel to bleed gas, the grip isn't the magazine and doesn't detach, and it will be available in 9mm and .45 ACP. The Station 6 will also be significantly cheaper than the VP9.

The VP9 was very difficult to find and all the dealers are sold out, but I managed to find one recently! I got to take the case and the pistol home, but unfortunately the silencers had to remain behind at my FFL until the tax stamps clear. Here's a photo of my kit:

ZBNBKKd.jpeg

I'm also on the waiting list for a Station 6 in .45 ACP, hopefully that will come in sometime soon with the dealer I ordered it from. I think he already had some of the 9mm come in, so the Station 6 pistols are definitely shipping out to dealers and are available right now. If you're someone who's always been interested in the Welrod and have been pining over one, this your opportunity to acquire it's modern equivalent! It's not practical in anyway, but fuck it, we like guns and this one is awesome! I'll post some more pics and info when the tax stamps come back in a few months, until then I just have to be patient and wait.

Here's a great video on the B&T VP9, it's not very long and I highly recommend watching it:

Also, I'm looking for a B&T SPR300 rifle (factory SBR), but I haven't had any luck finding one. I've talked to countless B&T dealers, none of them have the SPR300 in stock. Many of them have also said that the SPR300 has been discontinued and will be replaced by a pistol version. If any of you guys has one for sale or know where there's one available, please shoot me a message. Thanks!

Last edited:
    Reactions: 30calDeath
    When I first saw a write up on the VP9 I told my wife (a DVM) she needed one, she did not agree with me. She said at that price, quiet is too expensive. :LOL:

Damn, apparently I missed that one! Maybe I'll try to get one in the future, but for now I'm very happy with this oddball B&T VP9.
    Yeah... I bid that up to $17K and still lost.

Going to do a Welrod on Form 1 sooner or later. After the DeLisle's are done.

I've handled the VP-9. It's very cool and does the 'welrod' thing ok.

Cool thread!

Sirhr

The Welrod pistol is one of those magnificent, elusive bastards that everyone wants, but don't appear to exist on the collector market. There's been discussions about them on this forum and none have turned up in any of our collections, which is rather surprising because the people who frequent the Vintage Section can usually find anything! I have no idea if there's any in collector's hands or if they're all relegated to random museums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welrod

Welrod_Mk_I_%286825681998%29.jpg

Even though we can't get an original Welrod, last year B&T helped scratch that itch when they released their VP9 pistol (not to be confused with the HK VP9). The VP9 stands for "Veterinary Pistol 9mm", and was marketed by B&T as a way to humanely dispatch wounded animals or whatever. But we all know this pistols lineage and it had nothing to do with veterinary purposes.

BT_VP9_04.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

A few years ago B&T was tasked by a government agency to make 25 ultra quiet pistols. They looked back at historical records and decided not to reinvent the wheel, but to improve upon an existing design and make a modern version of the Welrod. This pistol was extremely successful, so B&T decided to bring to to market. They were supposed to make 250 of these new VP9 kits, but there might be less than that released.

The VP9 pistol itself features a barrel that has holes in it to bleed off gas, which turns any 9mm round subsonic. The magazine is also the grip and the pistol can still fire without it in place (with a cartridge chambered), which adds to it's concealability. This is also a 2 stamp gun, since 2 silencers are included in the kit. One silencer has the wipes, which makes it amazingly quiet, the other has baffles and functions like other "normal" silencers.

Even though the B&T VP9 is sold out, the company is going to be releasing the Station 6 pistol soon. It's similar to the VP9, but will come with only 1 silencer, there's no holes in the barrel to bleed gas, the grip isn't the magazine and doesn't detach, and it will be available in 9mm and .45 ACP. The Station 6 will also be significantly cheaper than the VP9.

The VP9 was very difficult to find and all the dealers are sold out, but I managed to find one recently! I got to take the case and the pistol home, but unfortunately the silencers had to remain behind at my FFL until the tax stamps clear. Here's a photo of my kit:

ZBNBKKd.jpeg

I'm also on the waiting list for a Station 6 in .45 ACP, hopefully that will come in sometime soon with the dealer I ordered it from. I think he already had some of the 9mm come in, so the Station 6 pistols are definitely shipping out to dealers and are available right now. If you're someone who's always been interested in the Welrod and have been pining over one, this your opportunity to acquire it's modern equivalent! It's not practical in anyway, but fuck it, we like guns and this one is awesome! I'll post some more pics and info when the tax stamps come back in a few months, until then I just have to be patient and wait.
    Thatd be amazing to get some stories from the "government agency" guys who carried/used these. Wouldnt be surprised if Mossad has put these to work snuffing Iranians.

that is sleek and sexy and far more functional than this .

640px-Pistol_FP-45_02.jpg

a ww2

FP-45 Liberator

Liberator was very functional.. had one function. Kill a german at Contact range and take his MP-40.

The interesting thing is that 1 million of them were made. Fewer than 10,000 are accounted for.

Those Europeans aren’t stupid. They are under pillows and in bureau drawers all over Europe. Along with the millions of unaccounted-for MP 40’s, Thompsons , BAR’s, stg-44’s. The Euros handed in old flintlocks, bolt rifles and blunderbusses to Allied Command at the end of the war.

They kept the good stuff for… later.

The Dutch were at the forefront… Amsterdam was a bigger arms market than Modadishu in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s. Keep that in mind Eu-commies.

Sirhr

About 10 years ago(?) an old time Class 3 manufacture from Pasadena walked up to me in a Houston Gun Show. He handed me something and asked me if I knew what it was. I responded it’s a mag for a Welrod, where did you find it?!! Is there a gun??? He found it in a junk box on a table. Paid like $5 for it. There wasn’t a gun, but have you ever seen a mag for sale?
    Dan Shay would probably have an idea if there are many registered and probably knows where there is one or more in private collections. I would also bet some have been sold at garage sales or thrown away after grandpa’s war trunk was cleaned out after he passed. Lots of other “things” have been sold at garage sales.
    Also, was at an estate auction in Kingsville in the early ‘90’s. I was looking at the tools when the auctioneer said is anyone interested in a “zip gun”. I looked up and it was a Liberator. I figured it would bring pretty good money. It went home with me for $7.50. Oh, plus tax.
    Still in my collection.

Hmmm,
    My LGS got a couple Station 6 - 45s in. I think they still have one. Might have to reduce it to posession?

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
    Just got an interesting tidbit via friends at the Royal Armory Museum that the SAS turned in their last few dozen Welrods and they are no longer in service. All at Leeds.

None will see the light of day on collector market. But may fan out to museums.

SAS was one of the last tier-one units still inventorying Welrods for… stuff.

Sirhr

Reactions: camocorvette
    To have massive a amount of disposable income would be cool when auctions like these come around

It wouldn't quite have the same panache, but one of my dream guns is a Wichita bolt action pistol in something like 8mm Kurz and I damn sure want to try it with a suppressor.