• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Modern options for set triggers?

WindstormSCR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2021
Maryland
Got a chance to shoot some fantastic old mausers and other european guns last weekend, one of them that particularly caught my attention was the double set trigger sported by (I think) a mauser in 7x66SE Vom Hofe. quite the interesting cartridge, but the set trigger as also a new experience. I can see why they're not used any longer for PRS/competition use, but for hunting applications it seems like an interesting option for a light trigger that's still quite safe.

Are there any options these days for a double-bow set trigger for a modern hunting rifle build? I found JARD makes something similar-ish for the Rem700 platform, but is single-bow and doesn't seem to have particularly good reviews, and there wasn't much of anything else showing up in my searches.

Cz527 had a single set trigger. They discontinued them about a year ago. Really pissed me off, I'd been looking for one in 17 hornet. My buddy has one in 204 that is funner than shit. That trigger is sweet.

Reactions: carbonbased
I don’t know of any double set triggers available in the US. Weihrauch has some, and maybe Anschutz. No large calibers from those makers.

A0FC9636-2A0C-4A5E-A25A-1E560127D32A.jpeg

I have four CZ 527’s and I’ve started to just make the main trigger light (aided by a light spring too) and ignore (or adjust out) the single set trigger bit. The flaw in that system, for me, is that the trigger reach becomes too far to get a good 90° finger pull. That and the fact of your small varmint shooting it gets old setting that darn trigger 500 times in a few days.

A double set trigger, as I understand it, would fix the extra reach shortcoming, but not help the second. But if you’re hunting larger game my second quibble wouldn’t matter.

Last edited: