• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modern Schooling

mvphilly

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2022
NY
As a person with no children it may seem I am out of my lane with this observation but as I am watching my 4 year old nephew grow I have to ask WTF is wrong with the teachers and education system of today?? I just found out his new kindergarten class will have 25 kids and 4 teachers?Why do they need that many teachers to teach/watch/take care of 25 kids nowadays?Are they inept,lazy,stupid or all of the above. I am 62 and in all of my elementary classes there was one teacher for the entire class not multiple. Mrs Caraluzzi was the kindergarten teacher and when she said jump you asked how high.That is why she was the only adult needed in that classroom.Whats changed?

As a person with no children it may seem I am out of my lane with this observation but as I am watching my 4 year old nephew grow I have to ask WTF is wrong with the teachers and education system of today?? I just found out his new kindergarten class will have 25 kids and 4 teachers?Why do they need that many teachers to teach/watch/take care of 25 kids nowadays?Are they inept,lazy,stupid or all of the above. I am 62 and in all of my elementary classes there was one teacher for the entire class not multiple. Mrs Caraluzzi was the kindergarten teacher and when she said jump you asked how high.That is why she was the only adult needed in that classroom.Whats changed?

Nobody intelligent today would be willing to be alone with children.
You would be stupid to do so.
Anyone intelligent will demand at least 2 teachers minimum.

Most folks get upset about too few teachers per child.

I guess you just prove that sometimes you can't please everyone.

Is he preschool or kindergarten? Most preschools have 1 teacher for every 5 or 6 kids. What are the "four teacher" one on one's for kids with severe autism speech language interpreter for a deaf kid? Then a regular Ed teacher and special Ed teacher? Most schools don't have the budget for an actual ratio of 4 teachers for every 25 students. How ever there are many more requirements that must be met for special Ed students.

No kindergarten teacher, public, private, or otherwise will tell you that 1:25 is an ideal teacher-student ratio. You should be applauding your local school board for getting something correct. You were educated in the dark ages when 1:30 or so was the norm…and you suffered for it, wether you realized it or not.

1 teacher for 40 students for first grade and on growing up. The teacher had no problem controlling the class. Not a single one of us wanted to deal with mom and then dad when he got home from work if the teacher sent home a note. And, yes, you delivered that note.

Having seen what passes for a teacher these days I would wager that 3 children of 5 years old could whip the holy shit out of any teacher out there.

Yes they are that whimpy and whiny.....and I mean the teachers.
The biggest challenge they have faced is deciding what pronoun they want to call themselves.

I have a bit of insight into this subject so figured I'd weigh in. While I understand the OP's confusion about the teacher to student ratio (especially at that age level) from my perspective that's the least of our concerns about the children receiving more attention from actual teachers.

I might prove to be wrong/jaded (and frankly I hope that I do) but I'd suggest that if you continue following your nephew's progression through grade school , you'll come to notice that the teacher to student ratio drops each year. In its place you'll notice that your nephew's parents are talking more to administration positions than teachers. Positions that likely never existed while either of us were in grade school such as 'behavioral therapist', School 'psychologist/social worker/resource officer/guidance councilor/in-school suspension councilor' etc. etc.

I can only speak for myself but when I was going through grade school & high school we had teachers, principal/vice principals (there's apparently a council of vice principles now), a school nurse, and a small number of administration that handled things such as parents calling in sick for their kids. If I were to pull a number out of my butt- I'd say for every 20 teachers there was 1 administrator. now- I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn if it's closer to a 50-50 ratio and I'll assure you that the administrative side is making 2-3x as much as the actual teachers. But don't worry about that- the local taxes cover all of the children you never had for these services since their parents aren't able to actually 'parent them'.

So that has now created a system of teachers that go into the profession with the best intentions only to learn that they'd live a better life working at places like Target or Walmart. So the turnover ratio/burnout rate is quite high (especially angled towards the 'good ones') Those that remain either become jaded themselves towards the education process and just run out their time to collect a pension and the other portion have their own agendas that they want to use their position to advocate from.

I still remember having to get a parental permission slip signed to go to a 'new' Civil War museum that opened up in our city during either my junior or senior year of High School. Today- the schools are offering 'safe spaces' for students to change into their 'gender identity' without parental influence (largely in part to the previously mentioned support/admin staff), are humoring these early teens in their 'beliefs' based off of their heightened knowledge and experience, and are using the administration to chastise the parents that find out about this after the fact and raise concerns.

And that's all I'll say about that before going on a rant myself.

-LD

Reactions: W54/XM-388
No kindergarten teacher, public, private, or otherwise will tell you that 1:25 is an ideal teacher-student ratio. You should be applauding your local school board for getting something correct. You were educated in the dark ages when 1:30 or so was the norm…and you suffered for it, wether you realized it or not.
Cant see how I suffered from it as I was a straight A student throughout my school years. Had a wonderful career for 30+ years. Bought and paid for 2 homes which I still own. Have more money then I will spend in my lifetime so that's not too bad for suffering. This is all from lessons and things taught during my grammar school days by a single teacher in each class throughout the school years.. The school he is at has 1 to 1 teaching in some circumstances. Maybe its just poor parenting and the easy way out for lazy parents now a days. Maybe it's because both parents work now and kindergarten is all day now when it was like 1/2 day for me. Now they have Pre-K for the 1/2 days. They also love to label kids now. ADHD ,ADD ,Autism Spectrum etc. etc. Then they get the "extra help" they need. Just like everything else the more the overhaul the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain.(Montgomery Scott)

Reactions: sakoguy21

So you are saying the teachers do not want to deal with the children of today solo?

Going back as far as i can remeber late 80s into earlt 90s. Schools had secretaries, school nurses, guidance counselors, psycologisists, janitors, payroll people, and all the admistration it takes to run a business.

Sped departments. IE counselors, psychologists, speech therpists, occupational therpists, physical therpists, and other support staff are not admistration. You do need more admistrators though at a certain point when you add extra staff. Peopel who write and peopel who sign the checks. Peopel who orginize all the paper work, and, Peopel who clean their class rooms and work areas.

I feel like most people in this thread think "schools" are all one entity. Really the only way most districts are connected is that they are all meeting federal requirements to keep receiving federal funding.

Every state is different but here in WV there is a required 1:8 ratio. Our kids go to a private school so it is actually 1:5 which allows kids to get more one on one time

Cant see how I suffered from it as I was a straight A student throughout my school years. Had a wonderful career for 30+ years. Bought and paid for 2 homes which I still own. Have more money then I will spend in my lifetime so that's not too bad for suffering. This is all from lessons and things taught during my grammar school days by a single teacher in each class throughout the school years.. The school he is at has 1 to 1 teaching in some circumstances. Maybe its just poor parenting and the easy way out for lazy parents now a days. Maybe it's because both parents work now and kindergarten is all day now when it was like 1/2 day for me. Now they have Pre-K for the 1/2 days. They also love to label kids now. ADHD ,ADD ,Autism Spectrum etc. etc. Then they get the "extra help" they need. Just like everything else the more the overhaul the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain.(Montgomery Scott)
Parents love to get their kids labeled espescially at the pre-school age because they get free daycare if their kid qualifies for special services.

There are wayyy more kids with autism today and kids who NEED extra help than 20 years ago. It's a simple fact. What causing it is hotly debated.

Reactions: Lightning8
Here it's not unusual to see a teacher with 25-30 students. It's a constant battle to get teachers to rural areas. Most people with those kind of degrees are moving around for much better paying jobs. Especially talking SE CO. You can drive 30 miles over to rural KS and make another 10k per year as a teacher.

Like most everything once we had the government start licensing teachers everything got all fucked up. Schools run and funded at the local level can still mostly do what they want.

Last edited:
Private school parent here. 4 teachers to 25-30 kids is good for the kid.

My kids are in the 1:20 ratio at their schools. I have zero issues with that number or if it moves in either direction. Both are above the “standard” in testing against the national and state averages. My 9 year old is reading on an 8th grade reading level.

Reactions: Haney
Remove corporal punishment and say the failure of a student is not a personal failure but a failure of the community
1712492856883.png

Teachers are the laziest fuckers on earth. If you look at school calenders, most of them work two full five day weeks then get a holiday, 3 day weekend or some sort of "break" that is one or two weeks long. This is on top of sitting home stoned from mid June until the first Tuesday in September.

When they do show up at work, their is no consequence for utterly failing to teach even a modest amount of useful information to children. The NEA aspires to reduce class size to 3 teachers for every two students and 2 administrators for every 5 teachers.

As far as I can tell from NEA demands in my area, teachers wish to focus 90% of their time of pedophilia and grooming or teaching kids they are stupid because whiteys stole all their textbooks when they took great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather from Africa, completely forgetting it was his own African neighbors who sold him to honkies.

I will never, ever vote yes on a school levy or tax. Fuck them and their palaces of pedophilia. Locally they fired 90% of resource and forbid admin from addressing darkie crimes (7%) of the student population. Reports of violence in schools dropped 90%, attacks on white kids tripled and expulsions dropped 60% while crime spiraled out of control. The district celebrated in the media it had fixed racism because their culture celebrates violence and we now recognize it.

I have a bit of insight into this subject so figured I'd weigh in. While I understand the OP's confusion about the teacher to student ratio (especially at that age level) from my perspective that's the least of our concerns about the children receiving more attention from actual teachers.

I might prove to be wrong/jaded (and frankly I hope that I do) but I'd suggest that if you continue following your nephew's progression through grade school , you'll come to notice that the teacher to student ratio drops each year. In its place you'll notice that your nephew's parents are talking more to administration positions than teachers. Positions that likely never existed while either of us were in grade school such as 'behavioral therapist', School 'psychologist/social worker/resource officer/guidance councilor/in-school suspension councilor' etc. etc.

I can only speak for myself but when I was going through grade school & high school we had teachers, principal/vice principals (there's apparently a council of vice principles now), a school nurse, and a small number of administration that handled things such as parents calling in sick for their kids. If I were to pull a number out of my butt- I'd say for every 20 teachers there was 1 administrator. now- I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn if it's closer to a 50-50 ratio and I'll assure you that the administrative side is making 2-3x as much as the actual teachers. But don't worry about that- the local taxes cover all of the children you never had for these services since their parents aren't able to actually 'parent them'.

So that has now created a system of teachers that go into the profession with the best intentions only to learn that they'd live a better life working at places like Target or Walmart. So the turnover ratio/burnout rate is quite high (especially angled towards the 'good ones') Those that remain either become jaded themselves towards the education process and just run out their time to collect a pension and the other portion have their own agendas that they want to use their position to advocate from.

I still remember having to get a parental permission slip signed to go to a 'new' Civil War museum that opened up in our city during either my junior or senior year of High School. Today- the schools are offering 'safe spaces' for students to change into their 'gender identity' without parental influence (largely in part to the previously mentioned support/admin staff), are humoring these early teens in their 'beliefs' based off of their heightened knowledge and experience, and are using the administration to chastise the parents that find out about this after the fact and raise concerns.

And that's all I'll say about that before going on a rant myself.

-LD

You are not wrong

You are not wrong

If you have 5 admistrators and add 5 that is 100% growth. If you have 100 teachers and add 5 that is 5% growth. There is always a reason when numbers are reported only as a percentage.

Teachers are the laziest fuckers on earth. If you look at school calenders, most of them work two full five day weeks then get a holiday, 3 day weekend or some sort of "break" that is one or two weeks long. This is on top of sitting home stoned from mid June until the first Tuesday in September.

When they do show up at work, their is no consequence for utterly failing to teach even a modest amount of useful information to children. The NEA aspires to reduce class size to 3 teachers for every two students and 2 administrators for every 5 teachers.

As far as I can tell from NEA demands in my area, teachers wish to focus 90% of their time of pedophilia and grooming or teaching kids they are stupid because whiteys stole all their textbooks when they took great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather from Africa, completely forgetting it was his own African neighbors who sold him to honkies.

I will never, ever vote yes on a school levy or tax. Fuck them and their palaces of pedophilia. Locally they fired 90% of resource and forbid admin from addressing darkie crimes (7%) of the student population. Reports of violence in schools dropped 90%, attacks on white kids tripled and expulsions dropped 60% while crime spiraled out of control. The district celebrated in the media it had fixed racism because their culture celebrates violence and we now recognize it.
You must have forgot about cops. All they do is sit around eating donuts. And highway workers they just stand around leaning on shovels, and janitors they just drink coffee in the janitors closet. Crying about how easy everyone elses job is, is just another symptom of our victim society.

Cut off all the local money you want. Just gives the feds more power over your school.

So you are saying the teachers do not want to deal with the children of today solo?

I can understand this. And, if I were teaching in a classroom in front of live students, I'd want a 2nd person in the room as well. Not necessarily another teacher, but a "monitor" of sorts. One who can testify on my behalf in the event a student tried to accuse me falsely of "inappropriate behavior." That's a huge legal liability with teachers, now. As others have said, it "wasn't" back when I was going to school (20-30 students per teacher, until the private HS when it dropped to 15 on average).

As it turns out, I do tutor elementary K-6 students in basic Math (Arithmetic) but it is all "on-line" via remote video conference and it is recorded. It's the only way I'd ever do it. Hell, I've had opportunities to mentor young kids voluntarily via "community outreach" programs. And, as much as I'd love to help those kids, my lawyers would "tear me a new one" if I were to do it one-on-one without a 2nd person in the room at all times. Me? In my mid 60's and never married alone with a "single digit" kid in a position of trust? I think not..

Same reason why I'd never qualify to adopt as a single parent. It sucks, but what can one do?

• Love
More teachers are more jobs that were created. Some politician gets to brag that they created jobs. No discipline is allowed anymore, K class is more of a babysitter anyway. I've met and knew a few teachers, they are some of the dumbest creatures to walk among us. You think the generation 18-30 today is bad... we're in for a world of hurt when these zeros grow up. Allowing cell phones in schools pretty much destroyed all.. Just another crippling blow to America.... its failure of an education system.

They probably need 4 teachers with different language skills since more and more students are illegals. I think it's NYC where 25% of all new students are foreigners. Less in other areas, but these fucking illegals are everywhere now. Unfortunately our fucked up Supreme Court has said states have to foot the bill and educate these illegals. I know Texas is going to challenge that again, hoping our "conservative" Court might change their mind. Yeah, don't hold your breath.

1 teacher for 40 students for first grade and on growing up. The teacher had no problem controlling the class. Not a single one of us wanted to deal with mom and then dad when he got home from work if the teacher sent home a note. And, yes, you delivered that note.
Exactly. When I was a kid, a teacher or principal could deliver swats with a paddle. Sometimes those had holes drilled in them so that you could hear them whistling on the back swing and the fore swing.

Then, you got another one, sometimes, when you got home. Again, sound predicts the event. The sound of your dad's belt coming out of the loops.

fft-fft-fft...

Unless he already had one on a hanger for this purpose. One of the wide and thick leather belts that were popular in the 60s and 70s.

Family and community would simply not allow for a nano-second the misbehavior that is common today.

The dumbing down of America isn't the result of bad work, lazy teachers or inept administrations. It's by design. They want it to happen, they have been working on us since the late 50s.
Their program of dumbing down is very very successful. It's going as planned.

Reactions: sakoguy21
Exactly. When I was a kid, a teacher or principal could deliver swats with a paddle. Sometimes those had holes drilled in them so that you could hear them whistling on the back swing and the fore swing.

Then, you got another one, sometimes, when you got home. Again, sound predicts the event. The sound of your dad's belt coming out of the loops.

fft-fft-fft...

Unless he already had one on a hanger for this purpose. One of the wide and thick leather belts that were popular in the 60s and 70s.

Family and community would simply not allow for a nano-second the misbehavior that is common today.
Yup. I never worried about the teacher per se, it was Dad when he got home. There was a black belt that hung in the corner of the kitchen. The worst part was Mom saying 'wait until your father gets home'.

If you have 5 admistrators and add 5 that is 100% growth. If you have 100 teachers and add 5 that is 5% growth. There is always a reason when numbers are reported only as a percentage.

Yes, it could. It could also be increasing from 97,000 to 170,000, and from 141,000 to 189,000 while increasing actual teachers in the classroom from 2.9 million to 3.1.
Image 4-7-24 at 3.57 PM.jpg

One reason, though, that politicians got away with allowing the number of $100,000-a-year administrators to grow four or seven times as fast as the number of teachers is that even when someone smart like Philip K. Howard does blow the whistle on it, the first reaction of too many academics and mainstream journalists is to snipe at him and deny the reality of the situation, instead of investigating or following up the news he unearthed.

You must have forgot about cops. All they do is sit around eating donuts. And highway workers they just stand around leaning on shovels, and janitors they just drink coffee in the janitors closet. Crying about how easy everyone elses job is, is just another symptom of our victim society.

Cut off all the local money you want. Just gives the feds more power over your school.
Keep sucking that Biden dick. Your creamy reward awaits.

Tell us how hard teaching is, we have time. Regale us with a tale of grading papers.

Yup. I never worried about the teacher per se, it was Dad when he got home. There was a black belt that hung in the corner of the kitchen. The worst part was Mom saying 'wait until your father gets home'.

When I was very young and still living in Wash DC in my grandparents' house (ie., less than 4 yo). my father had a ping pong table that had multi-colored paddles.

He'd come home every night and ask me, "What color would you like tonight son???" :eek: :mad:

Keep sucking that Biden dick. Your creamy reward awaits.

Tell us how hard teaching is, we have time. Regale us with a tale of grading papers.
Just when you think someone couldn't say anything dumber or act more unhinged. If you know it's easy then you must have done it, right? 🤣🤣🤣

Yes, it could. It could also be increasing from 97,000 to 170,000, and from 141,000 to 189,000 while increasing actual teachers in the classroom from 2.9 million to 3.1.
View attachment 8391056

And how many new schools and how many more kids from 2000-2017. And how many new federal regulations and requirements. That doesn't seem like the run away freight train its being portrayed as. With everything that's come along since 2020. It's going to get ten times worse. People will bitch online and do fuck all about it. Just like always. Miss jerkin my dick and drinking beer for an evening to give my input at a school board meeting. Aint nobody got time for that. 🤣🤣🤣

Just when you think someone couldn't say anything dumber or act more unhinged. If you know it's easy then you must have done it, right? 🤣🤣🤣
Yes, actually I did. It paid far more to do something else. Go back to gargling Joe's balls. We know how you love those old pedophile nuts. Yeah, we all know the laughing idiot is the mark of a ball gargler.

Yes, actually I did. It paid far more to do something else. Go back to gargling Joe's balls. We know how you love those old pedophile nuts. Yeah, we all know the laughing idiot is the mark of a ball gargler.
Damn it, that put a mental image and sound that I could lived my entire life without having just fine.

Damn you. Damn you to Hell!

• Haha
Reactions: lonegunman762x51
Holy shit. You're so noble. 🤣🤣🤣 Sounds like you must have been a lazy ass teacher though. So maybe not that noble if you just collected a check to do fuck all. Then brag about it. 🤣🤣🤣

Damn it, that put a mental image and sound that I could lived my entire life without having just fine.

Damn you. Damn you to Hell!
I bet luckyduck would love you guys to start a thread about how you fansitize about the sounds dudes make gargling other dudes balls. He seemed into homoerotic fantasy.

You asked "What Changed" ?
The culture changed. The most obvious changes started about 1960. 64 years (+ / -) ago.
If you could wave your magic wand and reverse the trend, you might get America back on the right foot by 2088.
We have entered the most evil times in America's history.
The old saying "Time to get your affairs in order" is appropriate for how you need to begin tomorrow.
Get ready to suffer....... 1 Peter 5:10

• Sad
Reactions: LuckyDuck

I don't think that's the norm. Usually a teacher has an aid or assistant but normally 1 teacher per class.

I don't think that's the norm. Usually a teacher has an aid or assistant but normally 1 teacher per class.
To get a much more clear view, separate the "public schools" from the "private schools" when looking at the numbers.
Those parents paying big bucks for a private education are wagering some demands. Those private classes have students that, first, speak English both at home and school. The parents spend time with their children to be assured they are getting what they are paying for. In most cases a child that went from K - 12 grade is going to be eligible for some sort of scholarship.

The public school class room has 20% (or more) non English speaking children and many of those aids are teaching a child to speak / understand English.

Look around at what "The Government" is giving you. In most cases, nothing. When you watch new legislation moving through your State and US Senate... Ask yourself "What's in it for me"?

Stop disappointing yourself... Face reality.... What ever you are going to get out of life.. You will have to get it for yourself.

To get a much more clear view, separate the "public schools" from the "private schools" when looking at the numbers.
Those parents paying big bucks for a private education are wagering some demands. Those private classes have students that, first, speak English both at home and school. The parents spend time with their children to be assured they are getting what they are paying for. In most cases a child that went from K - 12 grade is going to be eligible for some sort of scholarship.

The public school class room has 20% (or more) non English speaking children and many of those aids are teaching a child to speak / understand English.

Look around at what "The Government" is giving you. In most cases, nothing. When you watch new legislation moving through your State and US Senate... Ask yourself "What's in it for me"?

Stop disappointing yourself... Face reality.... What ever you are going to get out of life.. You will have to get it for yourself.

And thats disregarding all of the other IEPs/mental disorders the teachers must contend with. The convoluted graduation requirements (At least in Ohio) do not help either

Private schools aren't all great either, some are extraordinary and others are average to below average when compared to public schools (Using state testing as a metric).

Education in general has gone down the toilet.

And thats disregarding all of the other IEPs/mental disorders the teachers must contend with. The convoluted graduation requirements (At least in Ohio) do not help either

Private schools aren't all great either, some are extraordinary and others are average to below average when compared to public schools (Using state testing as a metric).

Education in general has gone down the toilet.
I'd like to see the locations of public schools out ranking private schools. I have spent time all over America and private outshines public.
I have a daughter teaching in a Private Christian school that she attended as a child and a daughter-in-law teaching in public school. I see the differences in my grandchildren... difference in night and day.

1712545392380.jpeg

Last edited: