• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Modifications to Rem 700

dfwm

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
MI
I bought one of those Dick's specials and want to add some items. It has an ADL type synthetic stock. I attempted to search here but was not successful.

First, I would like to convert it to a box magazine.

Second, I want to put an adjustable comb on the stock.

If there are threads that cover these modifications please provide links. Any advice/opinions are welcomed.

Re: Modifications to Rem 700

how much money are you looking at spending and how much work are you willing to do to the original stock to fit the box mag?

go to stocky stocks and look at some of the Bell and Carlson stocks. they have ones from around 150 up to 450 depending on your budget and taste. there are other stocks out there as well but for the money B&C would be good because you should be able to just drop in a box mag kit on most of their stocks.

Mike,

Money is not a big factor in my quest. I want a rifle that fits very well and an ultra reliable magazine that is easy to change. I want the ablility to use 10 round mags.

Thanks,

Don

if money isn't a factor then i would go get a replacement stock. one that will accept bottom metal for a DBM set up. Stocky stocks carries the DBM kits and the stocks. you just have to find the one that suites your preferences.

i want trying to make it sound like you were a cheap ass by the way. i just didn't know if you were trying to stick to a budget or if you were going to go all out and get er done
wink.gif

hope you enjoy your rifle and i hope it turns out well. post some pics once you have it set up.

what glass are you going with?

Honestly, by the time you by a good, reasonably priced, adjustable stock and pay to have it inletted you are almost to the price point of a chassis system.

For example, the Bell and Carlson A5 is a very good stock that runs about 450 bucks. To have it inletted will cost about 60 bucks, the bottom metal will run between 220-285 dollars.

A McCrees chassis, which is fully adjustable, costs 700 and includes a magazine (about 65 dollar value)
http://shop.mcreesprecision.net/McRees-P...IX-3085-TAN.htm

An XLR Chassis, which is also fully adjustable, costs about 750 but does not come with a magazine.
I went with the XLR, I thought it was more aesthetically appealing.
http://www.xlrindustries.com/evolution.html

BOTH of these systems have excellent reputations.
The one advantage to the McCree is that you can mount your scope lower.

you don't need the A5 inletted. they make DBM kits that fit the B&C stocks. I currently do have the kit but my cousin has the same stock as mine (look at the video in the link) and he has the DBM kit.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-108/bell-carlson-adjustable-tactical/Detail

(copied from the link)
The new Fully Adjustable Tactical was designed for extreme accuracy, a perfect fit, plus absolute steadiness!

fits factory hinged floorplate and Wyatt's Detachable System;
Cut for the standard Rem #3 Varmint / Tactical barrel;
easily modified for 5R mil. spec. and most other heavy contours;
includes the 700 SPS, XCR, VTR Varmint and Tactical type rifles.

no need to pay to have the stock worked on

Edit: Never said the B&C was the only option. if you already went with the other system what advise were you looking for exactly?

im a bit confused to what your original question was now. sorry I'm drinking so it hard to keep track from post to post. just trying to give suggestions. hope your rifle turns out well and i hope you enjoy shooting it.

Ditch the stock - it will be more pain than it is worth to make it do what you want it to do. I have an ADL stock with a Karsten cheek piece that will sit in the corner for a long, long time...
A chassis or stock+DBM that fits an AICS magazine is probably your best bet. DBMs can be had from a number of folks, including PTG, APA, and a bunch more. I like the Newman from PTG - fits an M5 inlet pattern. The APA is very nice too. In both cases I like that the catch is a little lower profile (or a lot.)
McMillan and Manners will make you a stock inlet for your bottom metal. They may even have one in stock ready to ship. Stocky's and Bugholes are other places to look.
My first chassis type stock will be along shortly - that is certainly a route you could take. I am getting a used AICS for less than I would have paid for a new McMillan + DBM. It may not be as shiny and have that new fiberglass smell...

I am such a newbie I had never even heard of a "chassis" system. Very interesting!!!

So with this system no bedding is needed -right? Just bolt on and shoot.

For the cheek rest. If you buy an aftermarket stock that does not have a cheek rest. I like the karsten cheek risers. Very good, very affordable. I would rather have a $600!custom with integral riser, but for half the price you can get there.

Good luck on your build.