• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft Modified/improvised/camouflaged gear HOW-TO's, feel free to chime in

Grande

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2013
Finland
If you have modified a piece of kit or built one from scratch and want to share it with others, do it here.
Please include a "how-to" with every item posted as inspiration/information for others.
Without further blabbering, lets see what you have done!

I'll go first.

Bought a Brittish desert DPM hood for my ghillie suit project. These have a wire running on the inside of the brim, making it easily moldable to different shapes.
Also the ability of removing the hood when it's not needed is a nice feature, you just have to cut and sew the button holes for your jacket.
Image of one of these hoods (not my ebay page nor am I affiliated with the seller in any way, it just had the best picture of this item):
$T2eC16VHJGoFFvfhhPiMBRf7mYTsLw~~60_12.JPG

While the hood is nice and roomy it has a weird pointy tip on the top, easily fixed with a minutes worth of sewing. Also there is a wind/rainproof double lining on the inside that needed to be cut off with scissors. My goal was to keep it cool and light while keeping the structure sturdy. Sewed on some polyester chocolate chip mesh on the inside of the hood for ventilation and for sounds to carry better, then cut the material off from the outside (much easier this way). Used a zigzar/jagged cut for the holes to break up the shape, this also gives you nice "leafy" shapes to sew on the outside later on.
Hood turned inside out with mesh sewn on:
grande-albums-ghillie-stuff-picture6570-bs3q1374.jpg

Turned it "action side out" and sewed a grid from flat shoelace for attaching real vegetation. The empty space inside the grid I filled with strips of jute, raffia, cut off pieces of inner lining (as previously mentioned), dyed cheesecloth and some bargain bin fabrics. Spray painted with light green krylons.
grande-albums-ghillie-stuff-picture6572-bs3q1379.jpg

Here's another view:
grande-albums-ghillie-stuff-picture6571-bs3q1376.jpg

Nice work. I have nothing to add to the thread but I'm curious to see more examples of this kind of work from other members.