• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

modified remington sps t stock?

rackchaser71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
myakka city FL
The stock on this gun seems to be its weak spot, everybody changes them out, from what ive read one of the reasons is the hogue overmolded stock that these have flexes and touches the barrel with a bipod or sand bag. What im wondering is has anyone modified one of these stocks rather than buying a new one. Im sure there is something that could be done to stiffen it up, thanks

Re: modified remington sps t stock?

You can. i did it on my sps, just to try bedding on my own when i started out. Mill out the center of the foreend and leave about 2" on either side,front and rear. install some rods and glass the forend front to rear.. It is cheap, and you will still want to change out the stock eventually, but it works when cash is tight.!!

hey thanks guys, this is alot cheaper than buying a new one and will hold me over till i have the money

i am a proud sps owner which is about to be converted into a real gun by louisianna precision and ill tell you this. I have shot dime size holes in the factory hogue stock. I have shot even more dime size holes with my new mcmillan thats on the gun. the problem is that every group is not a dime sized whole. i was looking at my new mcmillan which has prolly 80 rounds on it and the paint right behind the action is peeling a little and in the notch, for the bolt lever, there is a flat spot where the action is moving back into the stock upon firing. the moral of the story is that a rifle may shoot good but most time they move which is why all the you must bed your action appropriately in the stocks to ensure that every time you pull the boom button action stays settled in one spot giving you the most consitency.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont bother modding the stock. Shoot it as is till you scrape together $200, and buy one of these http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1136 </div></div>wow i really like that stock, i saved the link, thanks usmcj, also does anyone make wood stocks for this rifle, i love the stock on the rem m40 but cannot find one anywhere, walnut with no checkering

Rackchaser,

I have an extra Hogue stock from an SPS Tactical in .223 . Feel free to modify your stock, and if you muck it up, I'll give you mine.

Good luck,

Matt

well thanks guys, cant wait to get my hands on this thing, i dont even have it yet and ive already been bit by the "bug" lol

The B&C is a sweet stock. That's what I have on my SPS-V that I took to (and did well at) Allegheny Sniper Challenge.

Rich

Boyd's makes laminated wood stocks. If you tell them what you want, they can probably make one for you.

Boyds has a drop in laminated wood stock for a Rem 700 that looks great for $92 its not going to be a Mcmillian or a Manners. But there are a lot of laminated wood stocks on the line that shoot real good.

From Boyds

JRS REMINGTON 700 ADL LONG ACTION FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL PEPPER LAMINATE (FINISHED)
Our Price: $92.00

They have them for ADL, BDL, short & long actions. Several different colors also.

you can find the 5r HS precision stock for around 200 and i see most guys posting that there better then the B&C and there aluminum bedded and pillars are also set in.