• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Modify the magazine or mag release?

TVLLIVS

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2018
Just finished my first build and have a slight issue. I currently have an Ultimatum Deadline with a McGowen 22" savage prefit, sitting in an MPA BA chassis. It seems that due to the larger bolt diameter on the Deadline, that my Magpul AICS mag needs to sit lower to feed properly. What would be my best option to remedy this issue? Do I modify my magazine or shorten the mag latch? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Since the action is the main problem/difference I would modify the magazine catch. That way you should be able to use any similar magazine without having to modify each one.

Reactions: 308pirate
magazine latch, I have run into this quite a bit and have had to make new ones a tad longer also.

Casey

MPA has a video on how to modify the Magpul mags for the chassis and Curtis actions. Might the the same in your situation.

The AI AICS center feed magazines are the gold standard and I would be willing to bet that at some point you will be running those. With that said I would personally acquire one and set up the rifle with one of those considering they allow feed lip adjustment for positioning the round for optimal angle into the chamber that a plastic magazine doesnt without removal of material.

Also once you remove material from the mag latch for a specific magazine there is no going back unless you replace the latch or weld a small bead back on and refit it.

So far all of my AI pattern metal mags work interchangeable once the feed lips are adjusted and very minor latch filing on two different rifles with two different bottom metals using both AI and Alpha mags.

Modify the mag latch. I've had to do this on both of my Deadline SA's. If you are not AICS heavy already, I'd also just make the change to AW mags. they are bulletproof

Roughly how much did you have to shave down the mag release? I just need a rough idea so I'm not going in blind.

Roughly how much did you have to shave down the mag release? I just need a rough idea so I'm not going in blind.

At a guess I would say .01-.05" , you should be able to get a better guess by inserting the magazine with the bolt open and ensure the magazine is all the way down on the mag latch then slide the bolt face up till it is at the back of the magazine. Use a close fitting roll pin punch in place of your pin you drive out for spot checks as you slowly remove material. Be carefull not to lose the spring when disassembling the latch.
Go slow and don't get to aggressive when removing material and you will be GTG.

At a guess I would say .01-.05" , you should be able to get a better guess by inserting the magazine with the bolt open and ensure the magazine is all the way down on the mag latch then slide the bolt face up till it is at the back of the magazine. Use a close fitting roll pin punch in place of your pin you drive out for spot checks as you slowly remove material. Be carefull not to lose the spring when disassembling the latch.
Go slow and don't get to aggressive when removing material and you will be GTG.

Thank you for the feedback, would you recommend a dremmel or something manual to avoid removing too much material?

Thank you for the feedback, would you recommend a dremmel or something manual to avoid removing too much material?

I wouldn't recommend a dremmel unless your some kind of an artist or surgeon with one.
A new or in good condition mill file would be quickest and what most would have on hand but go slow, a bench belt grinder would probably give the best results so long as your not using to aggressive of a belt.