• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Modifying a stock for Win Model 70

jackson000

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2020
Im building a grand for a grand build, 1000+ meter rifle for under $1000 i want a mcmillan style stock ergonomics but cant really find one for a Long action model 70 im looking used mostly but my question is can i redo the bedding for a Model 70? thanks for the help

Im building a grand for a grand build, 1000+ meter rifle for under $1000 i want a mcmillan style stock ergonomics but cant really find one for a Long action model 70 im looking used mostly but my question is can i redo the bedding for a Model 70? thanks for the help

Yes, you can re-bed...

If you already found a stock bedded by previous owner, you need to remove bedding, probably with a dremel, then proceed to re-bed.

Yes, you can re-bed...

If you already found a stock bedded by previous owner, you need to remove bedding, probably with a dremel, then proceed to re-bed.
The real problem I'm worried about is a Remington 700 had a round action and the model 70 has a flat bottom so I'm going to have. To remove material anyway but I don't know if that will be a problem

The real problem I'm worried about is a Remington 700 had a round action and the model 70 has a flat bottom so I'm going to have. To remove material anyway but I don't know if that will be a problem

Hold up!!!

You want to make a rem700 stock fit a m70?
That's not what re-bedding means. I think you want to re-inlet. In which case, it may not be a good idea. It's probably going to cost a lot of money, work, and time.

Reactions: jackson000
Hold up!!!

You want to make a rem700 stock fit a m70?
That's not what re-bedding means. I think you want to re-inlet. In which case, it may not be a good idea. It's probably going to cost a lot of money, work, and time.
If I did the work myself and took the time would it be possible? Another option I have is get a stock for a short action and modify it for the long action

Unless you have mad skills at and machining, look for a cheaper stock to do a little modifying to.

my $0.02 and worth what you paid.

If you still aren't convinced, look at Long Rifles video on redoing an inlet. And he has done thousands.
All with machines costing like a house.

Unless you have mad skills at and machining, look for a cheaper stock to do a little modifying to.

my $0.02 and worth what you paid.

If you still aren't convinced, look at Long Rifles video on redoing an inlet. And he has done thousands.
All with machines costing like a house.
What about modifying a stock made for short action the gun is a long action 7mm rem mag

I've done this very thing prolly 500+ times in my life as Winny M70's are a pet favorite of mine. The stock doesn't give two craps what action sits in it. The only real issue becomes trigger placement and whether or not the tang feature is going to pair up with the action worth a damn. Making that part work takes some skill sets that a lot of folks are not comfortable with.

The best way to pursue this job is to completely start over. You knock the pillars out, scuff everything up with a tree chipper style carbide burr, and fill the stock back up with the same type of filler material used when it was built.

Again, I have those resources on my floor and were happy to help however if I do it were not going to be anywhere close to your budget. :)

Happy to help and good luck.

I've done this very thing prolly 500+ times in my life as Winny M70's are a pet favorite of mine. The stock doesn't give two craps what action sits in it. The only real issue becomes trigger placement and whether or not the tang feature is going to pair up with the action worth a damn. Making that part work takes some skill sets that a lot of folks are not comfortable with.

The best way to pursue this job is to completely start over. You knock the pillars out, scuff everything up with a tree chipper style carbide burr, and fill the stock back up with the same type of filler material used when it was built.

Again, I have those resources on my floor and were happy to help however if I do it were not going to be anywhere close to your budget. :)

Happy to help and good luck.
Thanks for the info honestly I'm kinda liking the idea of keeping it low budget because I'm doing all the work and its a long project. We will.see what I can do ill post pics of the progress

I've done something similar but much less invasive - changing a stock from hunting style to tactical magazines. What I can tell you is that it is a LOT of work and a real PITA to try to make it look good when you are done. If you have a lot of time on your hands and are very patient you can probably make it work. For a total rework of a stock like you are talking I personally couldn't make it look like a caveman didn't do it with a hatchet. It takes a complete bedding job and a milling machine is going to turn out a lot nice. To summarize if I had to do it again I would not do it myself. LRI has tons of pictures showing their work and it all looks top notch.

Wouldn't a better solution be to just buy a stock blank and make a stock, shaped/styled like the McMillan, in-letted for your Mod 70 long action to begin with??

I found one used on eBay that was inletted for a long action already. They are definetly not that easy to come by but there are stocks out there Keep searching and something cheap will come up.