• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modifying an ACH helmet...

Watch_this71

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
Columbus, Ga
If this has been covered, sorry about that. My search fu is dampened by the storm in the area and limited internet connectivity.

I was "issued" an ACH Gunfighter (style) and I'd like to avoid actually having to pay for another helmet. I'm wanting to mod my helmet into a High Cut style. Is there a way that I can just cut the "ear sections" out and seal the helmet edges back up?

You can, i've seen it done.. it IS NOT EASY. Kevlar is a bitch to cut and it burns. honestly buy this

Rabintex

and be done

First off, thanks for the good info. I've saved it all already under favorites

To answer the other question about why I want to do this instead of buying another helmet, the answer is in 2 parts:

a) My kids bought me some Peltors (father's day) to wear when I go to the range, classes, etc. It wont fit comfortably under the basic ACH helmet.
b) My divorce is financially killing me. So if I can make it the way I want it, then I'd do it to save some money.

Last edited:
So if I understand you correctly , you have an full coverage ACH and want to make it into a gunfighter cut? If you already have a gunfighter cut helmet and the peltors don't fit under it, you either have too small a helmet or simply need to adjust/move the pads inside the helmet.

So if I understand you correctly , you have an full coverage ACH and want to make it into a gunfighter cut? If you already have a gunfighter cut helmet and the peltors don't fit under it, you either have too small a helmet or simply need to adjust/move the pads inside the helmet.

I had that thought also, but I've already tried on a bigger helmet and it was TOO big and just bobbled around on my head with the peltors on.

I have been able to rock my Peltor COMTAC III over the head version just fine with my regular cut ACH, just requires moving the pads around, basically just front and back, none on the sides or the crown. It does take a few moments to get the harness (OpsCore) around the earcups and feed the boom mic and input jack thru the harness but once everything is situated its relatively comfortable. I don't have enough time on my TCI Liberator IIIs yet to determine if they are more comfortable or not.

Point is, it does take some fiddling around and some patience but you should be able to get the Peltors to fit without cutting into your helmet, unless you have a different set of Peltors and are bigger and bulkier, then I guess fire up the sawzall.

Use a high-torque dremel tool (or similar) with a diamond cut-off wheel, preferably around 3" in diameter, high speed, go slow. When you seal it with epoxy use rubber gloves, smooth it out, sand out any sharp or problem areas. I cut K49 Kevlar and a really tough PIA resin all the time at SAPI plate thicknesses (of the composite portion) all the time with this set-up. The people who are skeptical don't know how armor works. Kevlar is a PIA if you don't know how to handle it, use the right tools and it'll be a breeze. PM me if you have any questions, I love working on this stuff.

Better idea...don't cut the dang thing at all and use Surefire Defender ear plugs...if shooting M240's and M2's is pleasurable with them on then I can't imagine anything you'll be doing will exceed that. Use the Peltors w/out the helmet and maybe later on down the road once you're stable again you can get another helmet.

My sympathies on the marriage bro, best of luck to you.

Josh