• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modular/adjustable length hand guard

Aftermath

RECOIL FETISHIST
Minuteman
  • May 14, 2013
    Yonder
    I've searched all over....
    Does anyone make a hand guard that can be lengthened or shortened?
    Here is what I am thinking about: SBR suppressed, say 10" barrel and 7" suppressor. Handguard long enough to cover most of the suppressor (15"?), help prevent a burn or whatever. Remove the suppressor and the muzzle is now deep inside. Remove a portion of the hand guard to expose the muzzle. Is there any such animal?
    Thoughts?
    Ideas?
    Here we go....

Short answer. No.

Slightly longer answer. AR rifles are already modular. Many handguard models are offered in several lengths. Buy a short hg and a long hg that use the same barrel nut. Switch as necessary.

Reactions: Steve_In_29
    Short answer. No.

Slightly longer answer. AR rifles are already modular. Many handguard models are offered in several lengths. Buy a short hg and a long hg that use the same barrel nut. Switch as necessary.
    First post nailed it.

I have a few ALG rails in varying lengths. I've swapped them around over the years, but it's not something I do frequently. Keep in mind I also need to re-zero my iron sights after swapping rails, so I treat it as a more or less permanent change unless I need to replace a barrel.

If you plan on removing the suppressor, you really should use a rail that stops short of your muzzle. If your suppressor is getting hot enough to burn you, the radiant heat is going to make the handguard pretty damn hot, too.