• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modular Rifle System from Wolf Precision (ACE System and thoughts)

category_theory

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2020
SF Bay Area
Anyone see this? ACE Barrels

They have basically separated the manufacturing of the chamber from the manufacturing of the rifling and bore. Super interesting concept! Would be curious as to much more experienced folks as to your thoughts here….

So separating the chamber and throat and introducing an additional threaded joint is supposed to be more precise than letting the reamer follow the bore from beginning to end? Seems legit...

The whole thing just looks like a solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist.

So separating the chamber and throat and introducing an additional threaded joint is supposed to be more precise than letting the reamer follow the bore from beginning to end? Seems legit...

The whole thing just looks like a solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist.
Did you watch the video? He goes through the logic… and from my non gun smithing yet engineer brain it makes sense. Also from a production pov it makes sense… but then again this is not my specific area if expertise.

Did you watch the video? He goes through the logic… and from my non gun smithing yet engineer brain it makes sense. Also from a production pov it makes sense… but then again this is not my specific area if expertise.
Initially I watched the first half and stopped. After your reply I went back and watched the rest and it got even worse. Adding additional threaded joints between receiver face and muzzle, brass rings to help seal the new joint, more mating surface for additional sealing, etc...

The only thing appealing is the same fire formed brass dimensions between barrels. But, that's not really a big issue currently either if your smith uses the same reamer and nails the headspace dimension.

And again, it's pretty easy to keep your throat perfectly aligned with your chamber when they were both cut simultaneously with a one piece reamer. And then there is no extra joint, seam, brass rings, etc.

Last edited:
Thank you for your interest. We work on trying to solve problems, improve what rifles can do and advance what could be done in the future.

The ACE system in a nut shell is the output of "The very best gunsmith on his very best day" and designed for volume manufacturing. All the threads, throat and surfaces are true to each other.

We have been delivering ACE system rifles for 5 years now, we have happy customers, our turn-around time is faster, our chambers can be re-used, and customers enjoy the savings, accuracy and repeatability of our rifles.

R+D is continuing and through that we are about to turn the traditional chambering model, or the barrel and reamer model on its head. We have, thanks to the invention of the ACE, something that has never been possible..... AGAIN. I can't say too much right now, but it cannot be delivered or copied by traditional chambering techniques. We are testing it now, but our expectation is improvement in consistent accuracy, with the potential to double or even triple accurate barrel life.

I always enjoy those who challenge the ACE system and say it can't be done well, we've done it. It does not bother me and in many ways, it means we are doing something worthwhile. We believe we have moved the industry forward, rather than sitting on the sidelines accepting the current processes as the best way or only way it can or should be done.

Thank you,

Jamie Dodson
Wolf Precision, Inc
www.wolfprecision.net

@JamieD there is often resistance and ridicule when people offer a paradigm shift away from previous thought, concept, or tradition. I think it’s great that a business like yours has come up with this unique way for shooters to keep a chamber that works for them and really has a limitless life span. I would think this type of system would work great for people with barrel burner chamberings. I’m sure in the beginning there was resistance to things like switchlugs, barrel nuts, and pre-fits, etc. because they represented a paradigm shift, now they are accepted technology.

Reactions: Jonny_