• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors moi shift when using a suppressor

jsmythe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Nashville, TN, USA
I am looking to have my remington 700 .308 20" heavy barrel fitted for a QD mounted suppressor, probably either Yankee Hill .30 cal Phantom or the SWR Specwar 7.62. I have heard I can expect a POI change when using the suppressor and when firing without the suppressor when using it on an AR15. I understand that if my rifle is zeroed with the suppressor not attached that the rifle will hit low when the suppressor is attached due to the extra weight causing a slight droop in the barrel, at least where the AR15 lighter barrel is concerned. My question is: Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of what the suppressor will do to the POI of a precision 20" .308 heavy barrel?

Last edited:
Its called POI (point of impact) shift.

Its actually caused by the suppressor changing the barrels harmonics (aka "whip")

My 18" DPMS LR 308 has about a 1" right and 4"-5" down POI shift at 200 yards with the can on.

Your POI shift might be just about anything, but should be consistently the same thing.

My YHM QD 7.62 Titanium has a different POI shift on every AR I put it on. I switch it out between about 6 or 7 AR types and it shifts anywhere between Zero and 1.5" at 100 yds. The POI is repeatable on every weapon, so all I do is write down the shift for each one and I'm pretty much GTG.