• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Molycoated vs Non-molycoated

fokai_zach

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2011
ca, USA
Hi guys, im looking into reloading 77gr .223 sierra hpbt. Midway has two (moly and non-moly coated) anyone know the pros and cons? i heard molly messes up the barrel. Please shine some light!

thanks

Re: Molycoated vs Non-molycoated

Until you fully understand how to take care of a barrel that only gets moly coated bullets stick with naked bullets, also your gonna need a 1/7 twist barrel to stabilize 77s out of a 223/556 weapon.

I use moly bullets in factory bbls and naked in high end custom bbls.I like to shoot,not clean so moly is my choice in the factory bbls.

77gr IS pushing it.. But my mate shoots them ok thru his 1/8 twist
Ar-15 rig.
I would try a lighter weight first until you get to grips with it.

fokai_zach,

The 80 grain Sierras stabilized in my out of the box .223 Savage with its nine twist. Same for the 75 grain A-Max. They gave about the same accuracy as the 65 JLKs wich was about 1 1/2" at 300 yards. Neither was as accurate as the 55 Noslers in that particular rifle.

sorry failed to mention this is shooing out of an spr 1:7 righthand twist.

According to JBM, Molly gives you less internal pressures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to JBM, Molly gives you less internal pressures. </div></div>

True, which is also accompanied with lower muzzle velocities, ----

So, with moly bullets, you add more powder to regain the MV and pressure curve; so you pay more for the bullets, more for powder, and maybe clean less.

I want to say it but i wont today is your day <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old man now</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fokai_zach,

The 80 grain Sierras stabilized in my out of the box .223 Savage with its nine twist. Same for the 75 grain A-Max. They gave about the same accuracy as the 65 JLKs wich was about 1 1/2" at 300 yards. Neither was as accurate as the 55 Noslers in that particular rifle. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to say it but i wont today is your day </div></div>

Everyday is my day. I'm delighted to still be sharing them with my wife.

I would put my vote in for non-moly coated.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to JBM, Molly gives you less internal pressures. </div></div>

True, which is also accompanied with lower muzzle velocities, ----

So, with moly bullets, you add more powder to regain the MV and pressure curve; so you pay more for the bullets, more for powder, and maybe clean less.</div></div>

Although there are vastly varying opinions that I have heard regarding Moly coated bullets, my experience with Moly coated bullets is that they run slower than non-Moly coated. I prefer more muzzle velocity so I would say go with non-Moly coated.

By running moly bullet you do decrease the pressure, but adding more powder You add pressure therefore you gain velocity. It takes less friction with the same pressure. If you don't add more powder, you will lose velocity.
I think you will find by running moly. You will gain speed. I use moly on my match guns. The everyday shooters I don't.
I ask a similar question about a 8 months ago. I got answers both ways. So I tried it. In my results showed some benefits. Best way to know, is to try it.

It takes many shots [some say 50] of moly bullets to get a bore coated with moly.

This can be sped up to one shot with Lyman Moly Bore Cream
LY7631419_med.jpg

The advantage of moly bullets is that it may take twice as many to Copper foul a bore.

The disadvantage is that one must get moly in the bore under the Copper, not over it.

Most shooters I have seen cannot maintain a disciplined moly regime.

Maybe most shooters on this forum can, but not shooters I see at the range.