• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

monkey arms

crackerbacks

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
SE Michigan
Ok so I bought a Savage BTVS (wooden stock with a thumbhole), problem is that I am just to big for the gun, is anyone aware of an EASY way to lenghten the pull? I looked around and I have seen nothing as far as aftermarket butt plates.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Re: monkey arms

How much do you need to extend your LOP?

If you are only talking about needing an addt'l inch or so, then the cheapest/quickest fix is to pick up one of the Limbsaver slip on pads that will give you a little added length. I think limbsaver has a fitment guide on their website that will tell you which size pad is best suited for your Savage.

Aside from that, you are probably looking at something custom whether it is a series of additional spacers/plates between the rubber buttpad and the stock, or something like a Tubb, etc. adjustable buttplate/pad that will allow you to extend your LOP by as much as 2" or so.

If you need more than that much adjustment, you may be better served looking for an aftermarket stock that you can order with a custom LOP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crackerbacks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowsePr...g=649***8816***

Butt plate spacers. </div></div>

I've never used those, are they hard to install?

I am thinking I need somewhere between 3/4" to 1" </div></div>

Those are what I meant when I said "custom" since they have to be sanded down to fit your particular rifle's buttplate profile/dimensions. I have done it before on a Ruger No.1 and a couple different bolt action rifles with good success. It is best to have a belt sander or you are going to spend a TON of time hand-sanding the spacers to fit (at least having the belt sander for the rough trim-down, then you can finish by hand if you prefer). Start with around an 80 grit belt, then move to a 240 grit or so for the finish work.

Several different options. The spacers you can cut/sand to fit your stock shape and use longer screws and you're done.

Edit... ORD beat me. But it isn't rocket science!!

Add an adjustable buttplate to it. I used a remington 540xr plate I bought off gunbroker and it works great. Check my sig for install and pics.

Cabela's sells Pachmayr Decelerator slip on recoil pads for $20 that give about 1-2". Totally easy to use, I have them on most of my rifles. Way easier than adding spacers.

for a solution that you can "customize" the length, you can also try adding spacers made of pvc pipe, 1 inch long coupler nuts, or even washers. just put them between the butt plate and the stock, (you'll probably need longer screws), just run the screws through the center hole.