• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Monopod vs. Rear bag

Re: Monopod vs. Rear bag

I agree on using both. Hunting situations are so very different each time you have to take a shot. I am thinking about all the different times I have shot at a coyote and all the different positions I have had to be in to make the shot.

I have the accushot monopod and just prefer a rear bag. Just what i'm comfortable with.

In my experience a rear bag is more versatile. I've made a pretty solid shooting position by resting my front rail on a bag folded over on itself. Also, if you zip tie your bag to your sling than you always have it and it never gets left behind.

I prefer the bag, it works better for more precise movements, with the Monopod it tends to take me longer to adjust to the proper height than just squeezing the bag.

calling4life, not yet, first quarter 2012. Sorry.

X-fan, works the same on both. When on uneven ground, the best play is to keep the off hand on the monopod and letting the heel of the hand become an interface between the monopod and the ground. This way there is consistency no matter what you are shooting from.

When I'm shooting, this is where my off hand lives, on the monopod. Gross adjustments are made by twisting the knob and smaller adjustments can be seen by adding more or less pressure to the grip, flexing the heel of the hand.

All the conversation about not being quick between shots is based on ones experience, and their understanding of the use and application. If it's not used to it's full potential then the experience will reflect that.

A bag is more versatile? Really? Please list the ways it is so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone put a monopod on their gas gun? I took it off of my bolt gun because I think I prefer the bag.</div></div>

I run it on my OBR with a CTR Stock. I generally use a rear bag if it something where I know I have time to build up my position. The greatest advantage of the monopod is the ability to shoot on the move without having to worry about clipping and unclipping a rear bag off your kit. Stress related events where you have to run around and set up a quick position is where it shines. It's a lot better than running in kit and a rear bag for several hundred meters and climbing obstacles. I had it on a recent competition and I never really planned on using it much, but it sure saw some use when the stress shoots came.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">calling4life, not yet, first quarter 2012. Sorry.

X-fan, works the same on both. When on uneven ground, the best play is to keep the off hand on the monopod and letting the heel of the hand become an interface between the monopod and the ground. This way there is consistency no matter what you are shooting from.

When I'm shooting, this is where my off hand lives, on the monopod. Gross adjustments are made by twisting the knob and smaller adjustments can be seen by adding more or less pressure to the grip, flexing the heel of the hand.

All the conversation about not being quick between shots is based on ones experience, and their understanding of the use and application. If it's not used to it's full potential then the experience will reflect that.

A bag is more versatile? Really? Please list the ways it is so.

</div></div>

I've used one of your monopods for a while (and sold quite a few of them too), but never quite got as comfortable with it as I would've liked. I suppose my main issue was that with hard contact there's only a tiny amount of surface area to support the rifle in the rear, tending towards wobble and perceived lower stability. The trick of using the pod partially folded works under some situations, but doesn't seem to give me the same degree of stability as a good rear bag. For a long while I actually found the best results with the monopod folded, using it as a wider and longer interface for my bag than the factory AI butthook area of the stock. Then some guy stole my extended buttpad screw for the BT08, and I'm left with a monopod I can't mount onto my rifle. At some point I need to get another screw so I can mount it back up again and practice more with the pod...

I've found the monopod works best on a solid surface such as a bench or prone on a slab. If the monopod isn't high enough, get a different monopod and your problem is solved. Otherwise, the bag works better because it doesn't have a tendency to sink into the dirt the way a monopod will.

Both. Butt spike/monopod for gross elevation, small rear bag for fine elevation. Faster than either the bag or the monopod by themselves.

Reactions: Winchester59

Griffin Armament - " Rear bag for the win- it's faster and more versatile, and you can make one for $3." Still would like to see your list of what makes the bean bag more versatile.

Arbiter - the heel of your hand is the actual interface while shooting. Wrap your hand around the monopod leg allowing the heel to contact the supporting surface. This gives you a soft interface and adaptability. Send us a email and we'll send you the bolt.

KillShot - see above, your off hand will ride on the surface for a ton of shots, extending the leg out to max length then sliding your hand down the knob gains inches.

We really need to get that video done...

Reactions: SonicBurlap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've found the monopod works best on a solid surface such as a bench or prone on a slab. If the monopod isn't high enough, get a different monopod and your problem is solved. Otherwise, the bag works better because it doesn't have a tendency to sink into the dirt the way a monopod will. </div></div>

It's not "perfect", but this inexpensive mod helps with this issue:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...278#Post2394278

I have both and I personally love the Accushot monopods. I have them on every rig that I consider a somewhat precision built rig. I use mine like a steering knob. It is very quick and rock solid. I use mine most always off the dirt and in fast action scenarios such as called in coyotes. I have never once felt a disadvantage to using them. Perhaps I have spent enough time with them that they are second nature to me because I could not go faster than I am by using a bag.

I have em on my rifles but they get limited use. When the surface doesn't change underneath you they work well but when the surface is soft they slow you down because they sink with recoil. I think they also slow me down dramatically during rapid fire scenarios engaging multiple targets since you end up having to adjust between shots...a bag can be adjusted in micro-seconds especially when panning. I have them for no other reason than they give me more flexibility in certain situations.

BERTMAN77MK2 come-on let me procrastinate a bit longer!!!
smile.gif

Seriously, we are balls out right now with orders and SHOT is looming .....I'll see what we can pull off.

I wonder if the opinions on the mono pod could be influenced by the type of front support one is using? I shoot with a Bipod on the front and I find the bag in the back seems to isolate my heart beat impact in the scope. I have tried wrapping a bag around the mono pod as well.

-Dan

minnesotadan, interesting theory. I would think the butt to the shoulder would be the point of transfer. So maybe the bag then dampens the pulse as it transfers?

I wonder what would happen if you put the bag under the monopod?

So close to deciding on this monopod (and hell, a bag is 30 bucks, might as well just order one) but i want to see the video!

I can see how it can be so useful for load development where you need a VERY sturdy platform. also any time on concrete...

but in grassy areas, I can also see how it can dig in.

Check out this link
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3163546#Post3163546

Next, don't be afraid to talk with Kasey, he just helped me with my order, answered questions, helped me kick around ideas with my stock/mono fit.

Good people and hide sponsors, I look forward to getting my mono, I will use it out hunting, in mud, grass, crp, snow, and whatever else god puts in my way.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

but in grassy areas, I can also see how it can dig in.

</div></div>

Just put a bag under it. Still worth it to carry around at least a small bag I think, and the monopod works great with one.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1iSKTcDEDQE&hd=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1iSKTcDEDQE&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

HD Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iSKTcDEDQE&hd=1

I have several different bags and the monopod. Seems like I have switched back and forth several times on which I like better over the last year. After watching the above video and experimenting yesterday with the angled monopod elevation trick, I can say I'm going to stick with the monopod from now on. I'll probably still carry a tab bag to support the stock for shooting off of barricades but not for rear support.

I shot out to 1020yds yesterday with this technique and it is ROCK SOLID. I didn't find I needed a glove but I only shot 40 times off of a concrete bench like this... maybe by the end of the day and 100+ rounds your support hand might get beat up.

Thank you LoneWolfUSMC!

thanks for the replies guys!

I think I'm just gonna get one. gf is going to seriously hate me!

TAB Bag INBOUND

When I used to do this we used a fist on the sling swivel.

But that was ACTUAL-TACTICAL

Reactions: SporterII
I used the accu shots for a while and I just found I spent more time dialing it in than shooting so I just stick with a rear bag.

Well I guess there's always time to change.
Yes there is, this method has worked for me and I used to be a skeptic until I ran into an old service buddy of mine who was still with Uncle Sugar and now was an instructor teaching this method who enlightened me. Rarely use a bag now, and if then not for the buttstock.

Not trying to sell anything, I'm not hooked up with any company. I'm just stating what works for me, and if used correctly it can work for any shooter. That video was the best illustration of the technique I've found so far.The more people use a certain device, the more people come up with ideas on how to make that device even better from which we all profit.

Not trying to sell anything, I'm not hooked up with any company. I'm just stating what works for me, and if used correctly it can work for any shooter. That video was the best illustration of the technique I've found so far.The more people use a certain device, the more people come up with ideas on how to make that device even better from which we all profit.

Seiously thank you for helping a fellow SH member! And you are 100% accurate on the "showing" the technique, in use, the monopod is hidden by the body, then we cover it with our hand! We have neglected the our monopod in that regard and will be doing a video ASAP.