• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Montana ATV laws

Namekagon

Oracle of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2018
Wausau, WI
I'm headed to Montana for a hunting trip next week and was thinking of bringing an ATV along. We will have only one truck, and I know from past experience in Wyoming that some of the less-improved public roads can get pretty treacherous if a little moisture falls. Prairie gumbo. So my thought was to have the ATV on hand to help us get to the intended hunting grounds in those situations without risking a stuck pickup.

I'm confused about the ATV rules that I've found. I've found that I can drive the ATV on roads in BLM land. But does my ATV need a mirror and horn to run on public gravel roads outside of BLM? Or are the "street legal" requirements only for those who wish to run their OHV's on pavment? What about roads on state land, is the ATV(or the truck for that matter) allowed on those?

Am I missing anything about what the rules for ATVs are in Montana? I want to follow the rules, but so far am a little confused.

Seems like a good primer…

I read that article, and found others that contradicted parts of it. For example, that article says nothing about paved vs unpaved road requirements. Yet I found a USFWS document that suggested that the requirements are different for paved vs unpaved.

you can also tell that article is a boiler-plate document that gets modified for multiple places. In one paragraph it mentions Japan, in another it mentions ATVing in Mexico. Doesn't inspire confidence.

So, what I gather is that if it is a public road, your ATV must be registered in your home state amd you must possess a drivers license. BLM land roads are not classified as public roads. Without being registered in your home state, you are limited to roads designated as OHV use.

Reactions: Namekagon
The only answer is, it's really complicated. There are probably areas in the BLM where you can use an ATV to hunt, but most I've seen shut down motorized vehicles between beginning of hunting season and start of snow mobile. But it is a big state, so I can't vouch.

You can drive your ATV on the road here, but you technically need a registration to do it. Technically, you need a registration to use it on public land. Most cops won't care. In BLM and nat forest you have to stay on paths, and there are width restrictions.

All that said, I spend a lot of time in BLM land, and I've never seen enforcement in there. The best would be to call the ranger station in the area, or call FWP in Helena and ask to talk to a warden in the area you will be in.

The only answer is, it's really complicated. There are probably areas in the BLM where you can use an ATV to hunt, but most I've seen shut down motorized vehicles between beginning of hunting season and start of snow mobile. But it is a big state, so I can't vouch.

You can drive your ATV on the road here, but you technically need a registration to do it. Technically, you need a registration to use it on public land. Most cops won't care. In BLM and nat forest you have to stay on paths, and there are width restrictions.

All that said, I spend a lot of time in BLM land, and I've never seen enforcement in there. The best would be to call the ranger station in the area, or call FWP in Helena and ask to talk to a warden in the area you will be in.
Thanks. Are you from Montana? My understanding is currently as follows:

I can drive the ATV on roads through BLM land without any registration, etc. But I have to stay on the road. No off-roading on BLM land except to pull over to camp.

I also found something that says if the ATV is licensed in my home state, I don't have to register it as a non-resident if I'm there less than 30 days. They recognize the registration of my home state. There still might be another fee I have to pay, I haven't quite hammered that completely out yet.

To operate on public roads, the law says that the ATV needs to be street legal, meaning lights, mirror, license plate, horn, brakes. But this where where I get confused because I've found some places that say thats not necessary unless the road is paved, others make no distinction.

To be clear, I'm only interest in driving it on roads normally accessible to trucks. We will walk into all the areas we hunt and backpack our game out. Its mainly a contingency plan in the event the roads turn to sludge.

Thanks. Are you from Montana? My understanding is currently as follows:

I can drive the ATV on roads through BLM land without any registration, etc. But I have to stay on the road. No off-roading on BLM land except to pull over to camp.

I also found something that says if the ATV is licensed in my home state, I don't have to register it as a non-resident if I'm there less than 30 days. They recognize the registration of my home state. There still might be another fee I have to pay, I haven't quite hammered that completely out yet.

To operate on public roads, the law says that the ATV needs to be street legal, meaning lights, mirror, license plate, horn, brakes. But this where where I get confused because I've found some places that say thats not necessary unless the road is paved, others make no distinction.

To be clear, I'm only interest in driving it on roads normally accessible to trucks. We will walk into all the areas we hunt and backpack our game out. Its mainly a contingency plan in the event the roads turn to sludge.
I am. That probably sounds right, except a lot fo BLM will be shut down to ATVs during hunting season. The area near my house is completely shut to motorized until trapping season when people need snowmobiles. DM me if you need any help. I don't know if I have any additional info, but I might randomly know something about the area in question.

So here’s the thing. ATVs and UTVs are harder on roads than on road vehicles. Theme just facts. The public agencies that maintain the roads really don’t want a bunch of OHVs tearing around on gravel and dirt roads- meant for on road use vehicles- that are too sloppy for use by those on road use vehicles. If the road is too sloppy for a pick up, an ATV is going to rut it the fuck up.

IF you are only interested in using your ATV on roads accessible by passenger pick up (not OHV or BLM roads) it will need to be registered in your home state. If your home state doesn’t register OHVs for on road use, you are SOL.

Here is my reading of it...

BLM land is essentially considered public land for your uses, and thus BLM "roads" are legally "public highways". Has nothing to do with being tarmac or dirt surfaced.

Motor vehicle use on any public highway requires a street-legal, registered etc licences driveer/vehicle...again it has nothing to do with the road surface being dirt or tarmac...or being in montana ... AFAIK.

On-Road On Public Land​

• Your ATV or Dirt Bike must be street legal including mirror, horn, headlight, and brake lights.

The alternative to being "on [a public] highway" is "off [a public] highway", and this means you are not on a public road.

So the first way to get around the requirement of registration on all "public highways" is to avoid a "highway". The second way is to avoid "public" part. So private land, private roads...etc

OHV trails typcially and specifically designated as "off highway vehicle" trails. IE such trails by definition are not public highways.

Note however, the areas with OHV trails do not allow "ayhwhere, off highway" navigations...that is called "overland" or "cross country" travel and is commonly restricted by public land access agency or private land managers.

Off-Road on Public Land​

• Ride on legally designated OHV trails – It is illegal to ride cross-country.

In my area ( se MT ) motorized vehicles are not allowed on BLM land during hunting season. The rules are posted at thr entrance. Best thing is contact nearest BLM office. The people are very helpful and friendly. I know there is an office in Miles City and there are others. The rule book is long and confusing.