• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

something Odd happened to me....

I didn’t even look at the age of the date joined. The content of the post seemed boomer genuine. Guess my glowdar is off lol.

Go check out the tent thread in armory to recalibrate your glowdar.

Reactions: Bender
I didn’t even look at the age of the date joined. The content of the post seemed boomer genuine. Guess my glowdar is off lol.
1699662389402.gif

• Haha
Reactions: armorpl8chikn
No, I bet you are right with at least once a year.
Just a couple years ago the skeletal remains of a guy were found, missing from fishing. Something like 20 years. Found him just off the Salmon River in a small coulee. Back in the day, they figured he'd drowned in the river and washed away. But that guy died there in the coulee from something. Foul play not suspected because he still had his wallet in his pants. At least the family got closure.
That's the other thing that seems to happen once or twice a year...someone long lost is found.
Then, of course, there's Kennewick man. That dude wasn't found for thousands of years.
Couple years ago remains were found up 6 mile canyon. Dental records identified the guy from about ten years previous.

And did I get scammed in this thread?
Lol

Glow bitch thread but remembered a random story.

I had hypothermia on a mountain hunting in another country do to 35 degrees, a freak rain storm, and 50-80mph gusts with zero cover around in the middle of nowhere once. I was soaked to the bone and got real confused and anxious, I started hyperventilating for a few minutes(I'm sure living at sea level and hunting a mountain played a part).

My brain was so fucked at one point I thought it was a good idea to lean over a sizable cliff with the wind holding me up and I kept trying to take my clothes off because I felt really hot.

5/10 would recommend.
We’ll no shit you got hypothermia in those environments. Your not supposed to wear a Borat mankini hunting

People have reported feeling strange when a sasquatch is present. I bet that was it.

Reactions: Cat pitch
Couple years ago remains were found up 6 mile canyon. Dental records identified the guy from about ten years previous.

And did I get scammed in this thread?
Lol
If you did, we all did.

my question is, what’s the point of these random innocuous questions from all these fake accounts? AI machine learning, or just glowfaggots tapping into old streams to try to … well, not sure what they’re trying to do.

If fake, it just seems dumb to me.

maybe a test to gauge reaction times/speed of discovery.

Maybe there needs to be an examination of memberships… if you are from 2009 - 2010 and have 96 posts and. Reaction score of 6…

You are fake news.
Yes it seems a simple algorithm could be quite effective in weeding out the scammers, spammers, glowies and random unknown but certainly not benign accounts.

Even better is Louis/Theis is back under two different names with his same old shtick. Claims he is not an expert in his first few posts and starts asking bait questions then morphs into intimating he is some industry/government insider looking for detailed info.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
Even better is Louis/Theis is back under two different names with his same old shtick. Claims he is not an expert in his first few posts and starts asking bait questions then morphs into intimating he is some industry/government insider looking for detailed info.
Which names?

I was hunting (Cow Elk Muzzle Loader).
I was on a herd of 8 and trying to cut them off, but they got around me. I drove my vehicle up a little ways to cut them off. I
jumped out with just my Muzzle Loader and bino harness on. They went above me, I heard them mewing, so I approached slowly. Got close enough to smell them, hear them and get eyes on all of their tracks. They continued to allude me as the wind would shift and they'd get a scent and move quicker. But their tracks were easy to follow, and I did. At this point I am about a mile from the truck. Any way I ended up over 5 miles from the vehicle. I did waypoint the vehicle as I left, just in case, plus I had onyx on my phone, yet forgot to track myself with it.

I got further than I wanted to, but when you are close you don't want to stop. I never realized how far away I was til I got to a place I knew was way further than intended (Power line clear cut) and then all of the sudden got weird ringing in my ear, kind of dizzy, and confused.

I live at 6000', normally hunt at 10,500-11,000'. I spend all summer on the mountain and have never gotten altitude sickness, even up to 12,000 where we snowmobile. My current altitude was only 7100.

Well I decided to let them go, knowing I was a ways from the truck, no water, no pack and made some poor decisions.
I looked at my onyx map and started to head in the direction I thought the truck was at. My sense of bearings is pretty accurate and incredible. I have come out of my anticipated area off course before but never more than a hundred yards or so depending on deep in I went, my directional sense is always on pretty good.

I was about a mile into my hike back from the power line clear cut, when I realized the onyx map doesn't utilize you directional heading as up. So I turned my phone and then got totally confused all at once. It was worthless to me for some reason.
I saw a mountain peak I knew, and then looked at the sun, and realized I was clearly heading North, when I should've been heading SW.
I turned and regained that mile and logged another mile when I again realized my truck was to my right and not just in front of me.
My GPS (In reach Delorme) gave me a compass calibration requirement. I am like "what the heck I don't need this right now".
It said my truck was 2.8 miles away to my right, as I thought, so I ignored the recal.
I am thinking it was only about 1.5-2 at the most, but trusted the GPS.

By now I have logged close to 7 miles.
I'm in pretty good shape, hunted elk, deer in the mountains all fall, logged close to 50 miles this year (early tags filled) and last year well over a hundred.
But by now I am exhausted, short of breath, definitely thirsty, confused and dizzy. Temps were low 40's, I wasn't hot, I wasn't cold.
I stayed as close to an irrigation ditch as I could for as long as I could in case I got to the point where I had to have water.

I have never been so disorientated , confused of exhausted before, ever.

I turned tracking on my onyx, so I could tell which way I was actually heading as I no longer trusted my sense of direction. I wasn't trusting anything my mind was telling me as it felt like I was getting mixed signals from it. 2 more times I went in one direction only to reverse it and head back the other way.
I finally got to the main dirt road, but it was one I didn't recognize and now really began to get anxious.

My back is chronic, yet it was no longer hurting, it went numb. My hips were locking up. My GPS said I still had 2 miles to the truck.
I knew I was in trouble.

I called my wife and told her I needed her to come out where my truck was and follow that road.
Eventually she finds me on the road.
She asks what the heck is going on.

I couldn't explain it
My head was filled with ringing, cloudiness and confusion.
At one point I couldn't even make heads or tales of my onyx map info.
the entire rest of the day I was in a haze.

I removed the clothes I had on and the puffy, under chama hoody and the merino base long sleeve were totaly soaked. I mean twice their weight.
I knew I was dehydrated, yet not enough to risk giardia unless it was a better option than dieing.
lol

I feel it was almost dehydration/ altitude sickess?
But earlier that year...
When I killed my bull (8:00 pm) I stayed on the mountain all night (till 11:30) processing it. it was raining and I had on my outer rain coat.
When I got back to the Ranger to drive the 6 miles back to base camp I was shivering like hypothermia set in.
When I took off my coat I realized I was soaked to the bone, not from rain ,but from sweat. I was again at that first time totally soaked from sweat due to the rain slicker and amount of worked it took to break down the bull.
Yet even in that I never felt cloudy or confused.

I never cramped up, but I did have hip pain (which I always due to a chronic back).
My mouth was dry and I had a hard time speaking to her on the phone. Yet I was salivating and trying to retain all my mouth moisture and not spit it out.

I know this is long, and I am not after you should of, shouldn't have. I am not after sympathy or criticism.... I gave as many details as I can not to bore you but fill you in on what happened.
Has this feeling hit any of you before who have had altitude sickness and or dehydration, panic?
I was only at 7100' and I live at 6000 and am always at close to 10,000.

I never felt panic as I could get on top of ridges and see town about 8 miles away. I knew my general area very well, and there were even homes only 3 miles away from where I was.

Anybody get in this situation and experience this?
Ever had that myself. But a close friend did. Same damn symtoms. He died 2 days later. They never figured out why. Praying for you man

Ever had that myself. But a close friend did. Same damn symtoms. He died 2 days later. They never figured out why. Praying for you man
Holy shit!

Now you've given him something to think about. . .

I print maps with regular color printer and then use clear packing tape to protect it, works wonders as you can treat it like crap and it won't break, unlike laminated which usually crack and are hard to fit in pockets.

I have recently created the maps in atak over web service, mostly because I am too lazy to start using separate mapping software.

I’m not a medical professional, but have dealt with (and deal with continuously) issues with close family members who have diabetes, pre-diabetes, or heart conditions…a couple with combinations of those, plus other ailments common to the elderly.

Your condition “sounds” like simple dehydration and/or very low blood sugar…after an adrenalin dump or insulin spike.

Again, not a professional, but if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck…
I second this. Sadly, at 43 im starting to have some of these same issues. My first thought was low blood sugar. That coupled with dehydration is no bueno. As someone else mentioned, you don’t have to be diabetic to have this happen. This is also why bigger muscle bound people under extreme physical activity with no food around to replenish seem to be some of the first to drop.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
I always carry emergency "cookie" (dense sugary oat cracker) in the right arm pocket.

Usually on the range it is consumed after 5-8h after not eating. Nowdays I know to eat it in 7h, not at 10h when it has been bit too long. I have noticed that the dry cookie really helps notice any dryness in mouth and almost forces to drink some water too.

But tbh, I have them mostly because they are good tasting and left overs from field meals.

But you gotta eat, I used to do trekking till crashing but you learn nothing from it after few times and have done a full reversal.

Reactions: SilentStalkr