• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243AI

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2017
Minnesota
Me and a buddy drew 410 archery only permits and we are pretty excited about the potential that’s in there. We know there is gonna be a ton of people and it’s gonna be tough but we are willing to go where other people won’t. If anyone has hunted it and has some insight (not gps coordinates) or would be willing to answer some general questions via pm on here, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: TACC
As you mentioned, you will have tons of competing hunters in 410. Not a lot of places others will not be willing to go. Obviously, you can look at maps and find the places furthest from the road with the roughest terrain. There will be less hunters but there will still be competition.
Good glass and good boots are your friend. I recomend using the glass more than your boots but you are going to rack up a lot of miles regardless unless you sit water. In my experience, the elk are inconsistent where they water due to all the pressure so sitting water is a numbers game for sure.

You will see lots of elk. The country is open so stalking is challenging. Its doable but you will get busted or have other hunters blow them for you a lot.

Every Tom Dick and Jane is blowing calls, my opinion is you will scare more elk calling than you will call in but YMMV.

Archery season can very hot. Be prepared to get meat deboned and cooked quickly.

Most the roads are gumbo clay. If it starts raining, you need to get out now or be prepared to wait however long it takes to dry out. It may be a few days.

410 is a lot of fun if you can get past having to compete with the army of other hunters.

Good luck. I didnt draw again. My buddy draws every year. I am 1 for the last 4.

Reactions: knuckleballz
Great unit in MT but the quality has slipped a bit, be ready to shoot 60+ yards and m jager is right, every guy out can't stop blowing their Walmart bugle, put them to bed and stalk in and snipe one in its bed!

Reactions: knuckleballz