• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Montana LR Event pictures--lots of them!

johngfoster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2007
NW MT
Here are some pics from Sunday. Thanks to Aug for putting on another great event. He sure has a great place to shoot with some very challenging terrain (wind). I had a great time.

Here are some pics--lots of them.
dsc0836j.jpg

Station 1 666yd rack of 4 plates (2 shots on each)
dsc0837q.jpg

Station 1 1005yd plate (some measured it at 960yd)
dsc0838.jpg

Station 1 wide view
dsc0839a.jpg

dsc0847.jpg

dsc0849s.jpg

Montana and his suppressed 308
dsc0843.jpg

Station 2
dsc0851.jpg

dsc0854.jpg

dsc0860i.jpg

Re: Montana LR Event pictures--lots of them!

More pics:

dsc0866.jpg

dsc0868m.jpg

dsc0869.jpg

The Cave
dsc0870.jpg

dsc0871.jpg

dsc0876.jpg

My first attempt at a through-the-scope pic
dsc0878x.jpg

The cave target
dsc0879r.jpg

dsc0883z.jpg

dsc0889.jpg

Still more pics:
dsc0894f.jpg

Stage 6: Some of the guys shot this off-hand or alternate shooting positions
dsc0900.jpg

dsc0903h.jpg

Stage 7: The Butt-Kicker (at least for me)
dsc0904.jpg

dsc0905b.jpg

dsc0911g.jpg

Spotting shots on Stage 7
dsc0917.jpg

dsc0918.jpg

dsc0924.jpg

dsc0933x.jpg

The tools of the trade:
dsc0935.jpg

That looks like fun....when is the next one?

Thanks for posting the pics John, they turned out great.

Shane, heard you had been slowed down a bit and couldn't make it. Hope you get better soon.

Great job posting the pics John. This was a great day with a great bunch of guys. As this was my first time at this i would like to say thanks for all your guys help out there i will put it to good use. I am definately planning on coming to the next one.

Gabe

John

Those are some great pictures, Thanks for posting them!!

Aug ><>

Aug, thanks for the great event. I had a great time and look forward to the next event.

MNS
It was a pleasure shooting with you! Maybe you will stop in and work on pistol with me when you get a chance??

It is true what my dad used to say, the harder we work, the luckier we get ;O)

I hope Montana might post the pictures of the target Joe, Glen and Montana hit at 1500 & 1650 yards with field practical rifles... Hint - Hint ;O)

Aug ><>

hits on gong from 1512 and 1648 yards. I judged impacts from diffrent rifles as I see them and circle in diffrent colors. Yellow=308 Blue=284 improved Orange=338RUM
308 was 6 shoots then hit last 2 at 1512, never hit at 1648
338RUM 2 shoots then never missed
284 improved, 2 shoots then hits also hit at 1648. He was fireforming brass and took many shoots by multiple shooters
IMG_0002t.jpg

looking back from 1648 gong, the furthest spot back is were we shoot from,
1512 was down a bit off the side of the bluff
IMG_0004.jpg

at camp after day 1 match
IMG_0005.jpg

camp
IMG_0006.jpg

station 1, everyone getting started out on the course
IMG_0007.jpg

station 2, he is shooting the 70 yard off hand shoot
IMG_0008.jpg

station 6, easiest staion, confidence builder before station 7, you need it
wink.gif

IMG_0016.jpg

station 6, mnshooter thought prone was to easy at this one
IMG_0018.jpg

staion 7, sorry no downrange pic of this one from me
IMG_0021.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where is this at exactly?
</div></div>

The location is about an hour Northwest of Billings Montana, between Harlowton and Rygate, off of Hwy 12.

Aug ><>

Thanks for posting all of the pics.
The day and a half that myself and my dad spent was great. just too bad that we were having such troubles with our bullets.

I would like to thank augustis for putting on the shoot as well as all the other shooters for sharing there time, talents, and advice to a couple of newbies to the long range game.

I can honestly say that in the day and a half I learnt more than a Month's worth of shooting.

can't wait for the next shoot. and hopefully i will be able to keep my bullets together.

Tye

At this time I would like to make a special mention that Sgt. O'Keefe SMOKED the course last Saturday in two areas. He only missed 8 shots out of a possible 75 shot engagements! Further, he and his spotter Joe ran the course of fire in 1 hour 48 minutes on top of the impressive round count placed on targets. A new course record has been established that I suspect may stand for some time in the future.

Congradulations O'Keefe, Good job spotting and reading conditions for your shooter Joe!

Aug ><>

Was it mentioned he did this with a somewhat stock savage 300WSM and 155grn bullets. It has how many rnds down the tube? Excellent shooting O'Keefe.

Looks like everyone had a great time except me, wife had to go to the hospital on Saturday night and I needed to say home and missed the match.
The next match Ill have a New gun to shoot and will be after that new set record that O'Keefe broke of mine! LOL Congrats

yeah i could do that, billings is only about 3.5 hours from here I think...I have to go there tomorrow, btu anyway whens the next one ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was it mentioned he did this with a somewhat stock savage 300WSM and 155grn bullets. It has how many rnds down the tube? Excellent shooting O'Keefe. </div></div>

+1 on the excellent shooting! Anyone know the specifics of his load? Would be interesting to know what powder and bullet he was using.

99 Sorry to hear about your wife... I was wondering what happened to you knowing it is NOT that you are not bashful about shooting in public ;O) I hope everything is good with your wife!

Aug ><>

Looks like this one was a great time also...

Hope to be there for the next one if time off lets me work it out..

Aug that is still one of the nicest places that I have been for a match and the setup is top notch. also its put on and run great. TY

John thanks for posting pics.. Made me miss this match more though...

Pictures look awesome. How is Montana? Trying to decide where I should move to after school. Do you have larger versions of some of the pictures to use as a background?

Hey all first time posting... Wanted to bring up a point,I happened to be pulling the trigger when this record was broken, My spotter triggerman was the one who owns this record, this is the 3rd time he has been on he spotting scope when the record was broken. Aug.. nice shooting on Sun. no one said anything but for those who dont know Aug broke the old record on sun shooting a borrowed stick that he had never shot prior to that day (once again Trigger behind the Scope) It was a pleasure shooting with all as always. Hopefully we do it again soon, records are just made to be broken
And Mdesign..My load is 61.5 grains of Varget behind Bergers 155VLD

Killflash, it's all good bro. Seems like you were on the scope a few years back for me. That was some fine shooting Sat. and Sun. on you and Aug's part. I would not have liked being on the other end.

Excellent pics John & Montana. Your pretty close on the hits on the big gong MT. Only off by one on my 338 that I see.

Had a great time and looking forward to the next one.

TRGR

I finally uploaded some pictures from the shoot at Aug's place.

This one was my favorite, "Hey Treebasher let's make this one interesting. Shoot off your pack, left handed and go for the little target..."

P4250288.JPG

Is this an annual, monthly, quarterly shoot?

I'd be interested in making a road trip.

I would love to come to this! It's about a 17 hour drive from KC, but seriously considering it. How many rounds should one bring to something like this?

IIRC, Aug recommended 70 rds. per day. As it turns out, I shot over 80 the first day, but I'm not sure that's average.

If you're driving 17 hours, I'd say more is better. Would suck to run out.

I was at the one last weekend, and all I can say is, if you can get there, you will NOT be disappointed. I will continue to make as many of these as money will allow because I cannot imagine not learning something new each trip.

I now know that I can hit targets at stupid distances. Now I need to build my confidence in making my own wind calls. This is just going to take time and practice. And Augustis Ranch is a great place to practice wind calls!

John

p.s there have got to be other Hide members in the KC area. Do some PM'ing and see if you can find somebody to split gas with you.

Hey guys I live in Dillon and am new to the LR stuff but am eager to learn. I would like to be notified on any upcoming shoots as it would benificial to hang out and learn. I'll e-mail to see if there are any slots open, thanks for your consideration.