• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Montana Rifle Company

wdebo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
Ohio
Is anyone familiar with there CRF action. I am gtting ready to build a 375 H&H and need a good action.

Re: Montana Rifle Company

I have no idea about that action, but I had a 300 WSM from them and the overall quality was shockingly poor. I will certainly stay clear of them.

I on the other hand have 2 of their actions on rifles. Both LH SA one in 7mm08 and one in 308. Both hunting applications. The 7mm08 sports a Montana rifle bbl and was trued and lapped by them with install. The gun is a steady shooter with better than .1.2 moa with various factory rounds.
The 308 has a Douglas and is a 3/4 - 1 moa gun with out much preference in off the shelf ammo.
The triggers are easy to adjust, just like most Winchester actions.
The action is a solid hunting action. The crf is reliable. It took bluing quite well and has been with out issue since I had the 2 built.
It is not a Defiance, Templar, Surgeon etc. But it is a solid platform for a reasonable hunting rifle. Hope this helps. db

I am looking for a CRF action this happens to be one of the few I found. I had a friend suggest a action but it was 10,000 dollars so its not an option. Anyone want to recommend other options?

why not try to find an older winchester model 70 crf on gunbroker and the like. You can always have it rebarreled.

Like was mentioned an old Win 70 will do it. For a big case like that an excellent CRF action to work from would be a Magnum Mauser and there are several places to look for them. I think I remember hearing that CZ(?) is making commercial Mausers for the magnum length cases for a while now.

Yes I have looked at the CZ actions. I was just wanting a custom action.

If you want to build a rifle with a custom action, you are going to pay for it. I definitely wouldn't skimp for a cheaper option if I was going that route with my rifle. If you want quality, it's going to cost you
smirk.gif

Dakota arms company makes a nice CRF. Its not cheap, but its not $10k either. Its machined from solid billet by the same people that make nesika actions also which are no joke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to build a rifle with a custom action, you are going to pay for it. I definitely wouldn't skimp for a cheaper option if I was going that route with my rifle. If you want quality, it's going to cost you
smirk.gif
</div></div>

I understand that.. I have no problem spending 2 or 3 thousand on a action, But not 10 grand. My problem was I was not finding many options. But several post helped me out with different actions to look at. I am not trying to be cheap but bad reviews on the Montana rifle action and 10 thousand dollar action was not a option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdebo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to build a rifle with a custom action, you are going to pay for it. I definitely wouldn't skimp for a cheaper option if I was going that route with my rifle. If you want quality, it's going to cost you
smirk.gif
</div></div>

I understand that.. I have no problem spending 2 or 3 thousand on a action, But not 10 grand. My problem was I was not finding many options. But several post helped me out with different actions to look at. Your post did not help at all . I am not trying to be cheap but bad reviews on the Montana rifle action and 10 thousand dollar action was not a option. </div></div>

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=16478...9125308_d_11095

dont let the fact that Brownell's sells it sway you.
like i said, made by the same people who manufacture Nesika. If you want information on it, Chad Dixon of Long Rifles inc knows all you would need to know about those actions.

My thread with a similar question
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...109#Post2542109

Thanks for the link. I will probably go with that action. Chad Dixon was who I was going to call about the build. UGSW is building me a rifle now but when I spoke to them the were not interested in doing the complete rifle due to the fact it will have a wood stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdebo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the link. I will probably go with that action. Chad Dixon was who I was going to call about the build. UGSW is building me a rifle now but when I spoke to them the were not interested in doing the complete rifle due to the fact it will have a wood stock. </div></div>

Then you dont even have to order it from Brownell's, Chad can order it direct for you. His shop is right down the road from theirs.

Sounds like a good choice. I was not impressed with the Montana Rifle Company action I had either. It was gritty, clunky and would not feed reliably unless cycled briskly. Otherwise it would kick the shells out of the rails and jam. I'll never own another one. The two CRF Winchester actions I have had were far better and smoother.